Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Explanation required for OG SC

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Its Wow or Never
Joined: 11 Dec 2009
Posts: 208
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 04:56
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:01) correct 33% (01:00) wrong based on 25 sessions
Please provide explanations and answers to the following questions:

1.Unlike the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which
were arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan was
followed for all cities of the Indus Valley: with houses

laid out on a north-south, east-west grid, and houses
and walls were built of standard-size bricks.
(A) the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were
arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan was
followed for all cities of the Indus Valley: with
houses
(B) the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were
haphazard in arrangement, the same basic plan
was used in all cities of the Indus Valley: houses
were
(C) the arrangement of buildings in Mesopotamian
cities, which were haphazard, the cities of the
Indus Valley all followed the same basic plan:
houses
(D) Mesopotamian cities, in which buildings were
arranged haphazardly, the cities of the Indus
Valley all followed the same basic plan: houses
were
(E) Mesopotamian cities, which had buildings that
were arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan
was used for all cities in the Indus Valley: houses
that were


2.Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland
sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it
returns in May after wintering in the Argentine
Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern
United States is a result of residential and industrial
development and of changes in
farming practices.
(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern
United States is a result of residential and
industrial development and of changes in
(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern
United States as a result of residential and
industrial development and of changes in
(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the
northeastern United States is due to residential
and industrial development and changes to
(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’
vanishing due to residential and industrial
development and to changes in
(E) in the northeastern United States, the
sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and
industrial development and changing


3.By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the
recording industry associations of North America,
Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardized way
of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the
Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the
many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital

music illegally.
(A) of distributing songs and full-length recordings
on the Internet that will protect copyright holders
and foil the many audio pirates who copy and
distribute
(B) of distributing songs and full-length recordings
on the Internet and to protect copyright holders
and foiling the many audio pirates copying and
distributing
(C) for distributing songs and full-length recordings
on the Internet while it protects copyright
holders and foils the many audio pirates who
copy and distribute
(D) to distribute songs and full-length recordings on
the Internet while they will protect copyright
holders and foil the many audio pirates copying
and distributing
(E) to distribute songs and full-length recordings on
the Internet and it will protect copyright holders
and foiling the many audio pirates who copy and
distribute


4.Researchers have found that individuals who have
been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen
anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions
when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the
same way as sighted people do, and that they will

gesture even when conversing with another blind
person.
(A) who thus have never seen anyone gesture,
nevertheless make hand motions when speaking
just as frequently and in virtually the same way
as sighted people do, and that they will gesture
(B) who thus never saw anyone gesturing,
nevertheless make hand motions when speaking
just as frequent and in virtually the same way as
sighted people did, and that they will gesture
(C) who thus have never seen anyone gesture,
nevertheless made hand motions when speaking
just as frequently and in virtually the same way
as sighted people do, as well as gesturing
(D) thus never having seen anyone gesture,
nevertheless made hand motions when speaking
just as frequent and in virtually the same way as
sighted people did, as well as gesturing
(E) thus never having seen anyone gesture,
nevertheless to make hand motions when
speaking just as frequently and in virtually the
same way as sighted people do, and to gesture



have more doubts in SC.. Please clarify the above first.
TIA
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 06:53
for 1st) IMO D
(A) the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were
arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan was
followed for all cities of the Indus Valley: with
houses------> the items being compared has to be same , however in this choice the two underlined items which are compared are not same,s/c after colon is not parallel houses laid.........were built
(B) the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were
haphazard in arrangement, the same basic plan
was used in all cities of the Indus Valley: houses
were-------->same as B
(C) the arrangement of buildings in Mesopotamian
cities, which were haphazard, the cities of the
Indus Valley all followed the same basic plan:
houses----->arrangements is compared to cities and s/c after: is not parallel
(D) Mesopotamian cities, in which buildings were
arranged haphazardly, the cities of the Indus
Valley all followed the same basic plan: houses
were------>correct
(E) Mesopotamian cities, which had buildings that
were arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan
was used for all cities in the Indus Valley: houses
that were------>same error
_________________

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 197
Location: Prague
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 03:13
2.Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland
sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it
returns in May after wintering in the Argentine
Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern
United States is a result of residential and industrial
development and of changes in farming practices.

(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern
United States is a result of residential and
industrial development and of changes in

(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern
United States as a result of residential and
industrial development and of changes in

(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the
northeastern United States is due to residential
and industrial development and changes to

(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’
vanishing due to residential and industrial
development and to changes in

(E) in the northeastern United States, the
sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and
industrial development and changing

Like the fields, the bird is wanishing. Therefore B.
_________________

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Ready for 750 Score
Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 21:22
Research has shown that when speaking, individuals who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

Complicated structure.

Research has shown that L (when speaking...people do), and that M (they will gesture...).

Within "that L" there's another structure. "individuals who N (have been blind) and P (have never seen) nonetheless make hand motions Q (just as frequently) and R (in the same... people do)"

So you've got three pairs of "and" phrases or clauses, in which each part of the pair should be parallel.

So, L and M = pair #1, N and P = pair #2, Q and R = pair #3.

They're all correctly parallel in choice A.
B breaks parallelism for L and M (no "that" before M), as well as breaking some other rules
C breaks parallelism for L and M (no "that" before M), as well as breaking some other rules
D breaks parallelism for N and P (individuals who N and "they" P - I shouldn't repeat the subject here b/c "individuals" is outside of the parallel part of the sentence)
E same as D and B/C

Other rules are broken as well in the wrong ones, but you can use this one rule, parallelism, to deal with all 4 wrong choices.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1783
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [0], given: 183

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 05:24
Expert's post
Hi There,

Unlike the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan was followed for all cities of the Indus Valley: with houses laid out on a north-south, east-west grid, and houses and walls were built of standard-size bricks.

Image

Error Analysis

1. “Unlike” tells us that this sentence presents a contrast. What follows “Unlike” is “the buildings in Mesopotamian cities”. Now, the “buildings” have been illogically contrasted with “the same basic plan” that is subject of the main clause. Hence, this sentence has parallelism error. We need to make both the contrasting entities parallel to make the contrast logical.

POE:

Choice A: the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan was followed for all cities of the Indus Valley: with houses: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

Choice B: the buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were haphazard in arrangement, the same basic plan was used in all cities of the Indus Valley: houses were: Incorrect as it repeats the parallelism error of Choice A.

Choice C: the arrangement of buildings in Mesopotamian cities, which were haphazard, the cities of the Indus Valley all followed the same basic plan: houses: Incorrect as it contrasts “the arrangement of buildings…” with “the cities of the Indus Valley”. We again have illogical contrast here.

Choice D: Mesopotamian cities, in which buildings were arranged haphazardly, the cities of the Indus Valley all followed the same basic plan: houses were: Correct. “Mesopotamian cities” have been correctly contrasted with “the cities of the Indus Valley”.

Choice E: Mesopotamian cities, which had buildings that were arranged haphazardly, the same basic plan was used for all cities in the Indus Valley: houses that were: Incorrect. “Mesopotamian cities” have been illogically contrasted with “that same basic plan”.

Image

1. The sentence must present logical comparison or contrast.
2. The entities compared or contrasted must grammatically as well as logically parallel.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1783
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [1] , given: 183

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 06:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

Image

The sentence says that the reasons for the disappearance of grassy fields and old pastures and sandpipers in the northeastern US are the same – residential and industrial development and changes in farming practices. By the way, the upland sandpipers need the grassy fields and old pastures for nesting and breeding when they return in May after spending winter in the Argentine Pampas.

Image

Error Analysis


1. Presence of “Like” tells us that there is a comparison here. The meaning tells us that the sentence compares the vanishing of grassy fields and old pastures with that of sandpipers. Now, “Like” is followed by “grassy fields and old pastures” that have been illogically compared with “the sandpipers vanishing”. Since “grassy fields and old pastures” are in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we need “sandpipers” or “the bird” as the subject of the main clause to make the comparison logical.
2. The sentence uses the phrase “sandpipers vanishing”. Notice that there is no apostrophe after sandpipers. Hence, “sandpipers” is a plural noun now and “vanishing” is the modifier that modifies “sandpipers”. Now plural “sandpipers” does not agree in number with singular verb “is”.

POE:

Choice A: the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in: Correct. “the bird” has now been correctly compared with “the grassy fields and old pastures”.

Choice C: that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to: Incorrect. 1. Use of “that” is incorrect. 2. The phrase “changes to farming practices” is awkward.

Choice D: in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’ vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in: Incorrect. 1. The modifier “in the northeastern US” should not be at the beginning of the main clause. 2. The comparison is now illogically between the “the grassy fields and old pastures” and “sandpipers’ vanishing”. 3. There is no verb for “sandpipers’ vanishing”. So we have a fragment and not a main clause. 4. We don’t need “to” before “changes in…”.

Choice E: in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing: Incorrect. 1. Same modifier error as in Choice D. 2. Same fragment error as in Choice D.

Image

1. The entities compared in the sentence must be grammatically as well as logically parallel.
2. We must have a subject and a verb to form a clause. Absence of any one makes the sentence a fragment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1783
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [0], given: 183

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 07:09
Expert's post
Hi,

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the recording industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardized way of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally.

Image

By developing the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the recording industry associations of North America, Japan, and Europe hope to create a standardized way of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet. This standardized way will do two things:
a. it will protect copyright holders, and
b. it will foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute digital music illegally.

Image

Error Analysis

1. All the subject-verb pairs agree in number and make sense with each other – “that” (refers to standardized way) and “will”, “who” (refers to audio pirates) and “copy and distribute”.
2. All the modifiers are placed correctly. PS – Relative pronoun “that” correctly cannot modify the immediate preceding noun “Internet” because we have a very big noun phrase here that has two prepositional phrases “a standardized way of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet”. The way “of distributing songs and full-length recordings” is giving extra information about the “a standardized way” and cannot be placed elsewhere in the sentence, same goes with the prepositional phrase “on the Internet”. Since the head of this long noun phrase is “a standardized way”, the relative pronoun “that” correctly refers to it. Here we have case of a noun modifier that is placed a little far away from the entity it modifies. This usage is correct.
3. The verb tenses are correct. Simple future “will protect and (will) foil” have been used for the events that will took place in the future while “copy and distribute” have been correctly written in the simple present tense as they denote general facts.
4. The entities “will protect” and “(will) foil” are parallel. So are “copy” and “distribute”.
5. There are no pronoun and idiom errors in this sentence.
6. The sentence is correct as is.

POE

Choice A: of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates who copy and distribute: Correct for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet and to protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates copying and distributing: Incorrect. 1. “And” introduces a new list that distorts the intended meaning of the sentence and that does not have parallel entities.

Choice C: for distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet while it protects copyright holders and foils the many audio pirates who copy and distribute: Incorrect. 1. “a standardized way for” is not a correct idiom. 2. Use of simple present tense verbs “protects” and “foils” for the action that will take place in future is incorrect.

Choice D: to distribute songs and full-length recordings on the Internet while they will protect copyright holders and foil the many audio pirates copying and distributing: Incorrect. The only logical plural referent for pronoun “they” is “the recording industry associations”. However, they will not do the actions of protecting and foiling. The standardized way will do these actions. This choice changes the meaning of the sentence.

Choice E: to distribute songs and full-length recordings on the Internet and it will protect copyright holders and foiling the many audio pirates who copy and distribute: Incorrect. “And” introduces a new list that distorts the intended meaning of the sentence and that does not have parallel entities.

Image

1. A list must contain logically and grammatically parallel entities.
2. Correct verb tenses should be used to communicate the intended meaning of the sentence.
3. Pronouns must have logical antecedents and they must agree in number with their antecedents.
4. Be wary of choices that change the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1783
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [0], given: 183

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 08:00
Expert's post
Hi,

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

Image

Error Analysis

1. All the subjects and verbs make sense and agree in number with each other – “who (refers to individuals) with “have never seen”, “individuals” with “make”, “people” with “do” and “they” with “will”.
2. All the verbs are written in correct tenses.
3. Pronoun “they” correctly refers to “individuals”.
4. All the modifiers are placed correctly and they modify the correct entities.
5. Entities “who have blind…” and “who thus have never seen” are parallel. So are entities “individuals… make hand motions” and “sighted people do”. So are “that individuals…” and “that they will gesture…”.
6. The sentence use correct idiom “ X as abc as Y”.
7. This sentence is correct as is.

POE:

Choice A: who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture: Correct for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: who thus never saw anyone gesturing, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, and that they will gesture” Incorrect. 1. “who have been blind” and “who thus never saw” are not parallel. 2. From verb tense point also, use of past tense to talk about an action that is still performed by blind people is incorrect. 3. Adjective “frequent” cannot modify verb “make”. 4. Again, use of past tense “did” to talk about the general fact that is true of the present content is incorrect.

Choice C: who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, as well as gesturing: Incorrect. 1. Use of past tense “made” is incorrect because the sentence is stating a general fact in the present context. 2. Use of “as well as” introduces a new list per which “made” and “gesturing” should be parallel but they are not. 3. Also “as well as” violates the parallelism between “that individuals…” and “that they…”.

Choice D: thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, as well as gesturing: Incorrect. 1. Use of “having seen” violates parallelism. 2. Also, this is the wrong tense to use in the context. 3. Use of past tense “made” is incorrect. 3. Adjective “frequent” cannot modify verb “make”. 4. Again, use of past tense “did” to talk about the general fact that is true of the present content is incorrect. 5. This choice repeats the errors of the use of “as well as” as in choice C.

Choice E:
thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless to make hand motions when
speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and to gesture: Incorrect. 1. This choice repeats the errors of the use of “having seen” as in Choice D. 2. Use of “to” between subject “individuals” and verb “make” is incorrect. 3. “to gesture” is not parallel to “that individuals…”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 19:39
New data from United States Forest Service ecologists show that for every dollar spent on controlled small-scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel, it saves seven dollars that would not be spent on having to extinguish big fires.

(A) that for every dollar spent on controlled small-scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel, it saves seven dollars that would not be spent on having to extinguish
(B) that for every dollar spent on controlled small-scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel, seven dollars are saved that would have been spent on extinguishing
(C) that for every dollar spent on controlled small-scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel saves seven dollars on not having to extinguish
(D) for every dollar spent on controlled small-scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel, that it saves seven dollars on not having to extinguish
(E) for every dollar spent on controlled small-scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management
personnel, that seven dollars are saved that would not have been spent on extinguishing

Hi ,
We have a split between 'that' and ' for' ..

Do we need a 'that' after show?

Kindly help!.
Regards,
Sachin
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 19:56
egmat wrote:
Hi,

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

Image

The sentence says that the reasons for the disappearance of grassy fields and old pastures and sandpipers in the northeastern US are the same – residential and industrial development and changes in farming practices. By the way, the upland sandpipers need the grassy fields and old pastures for nesting and breeding when they return in May after spending winter in the Argentine Pampas.

Image

Error Analysis


1. Presence of “Like” tells us that there is a comparison here. The meaning tells us that the sentence compares the vanishing of grassy fields and old pastures with that of sandpipers. Now, “Like” is followed by “grassy fields and old pastures” that have been illogically compared with “the sandpipers vanishing”. Since “grassy fields and old pastures” are in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we need “sandpipers” or “the bird” as the subject of the main clause to make the comparison logical.
2. The sentence uses the phrase “sandpipers vanishing”. Notice that there is no apostrophe after sandpipers. Hence, “sandpipers” is a plural noun now and “vanishing” is the modifier that modifies “sandpipers”. Now plural “sandpipers” does not agree in number with singular verb “is”.

POE:

Choice A: the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in: Correct. “the bird” has now been correctly compared with “the grassy fields and old pastures”.

Choice C: that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to: Incorrect. 1. Use of “that” is incorrect. 2. The phrase “changes to farming practices” is awkward.

Choice D: in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’ vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in: Incorrect. 1. The modifier “in the northeastern US” should not be at the beginning of the main clause. 2. The comparison is now illogically between the “the grassy fields and old pastures” and “sandpipers’ vanishing”. 3. There is no verb for “sandpipers’ vanishing”. So we have a fragment and not a main clause. 4. We don’t need “to” before “changes in…”.

Choice E: in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing: Incorrect. 1. Same modifier error as in Choice D. 2. Same fragment error as in Choice D.

Image

1. The entities compared in the sentence must be grammatically as well as logically parallel.
2. We must have a subject and a verb to form a clause. Absence of any one makes the sentence a fragment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


In A, is 'sandpipers vanishing' not a gerund? and if yes, it can be parallel to 'grassy fields and old pastures'.
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1783
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [0], given: 183

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 07:05
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
In A, is 'sandpipers vanishing' not a gerund? and if yes, it can be parallel to 'grassy fields and old pastures'.


Hi Sachin,

In A, “sandpipers vanishing” is not a gerund. “Vanishing” is a verb-ing modifier that presents a characteristic of sandpipers that they are vanishing. Use of “vanishing” is incorrect here. It has been used to function as a gerund but it is not functioning as one.

“Sandpipers” is parallel to “grassy fields…” but again we have the SV number agreement as well as make sense issue. Look at the structure here:

…, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United Statesis a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

Here it does not make sense to say that “sandpipers” is a result of residential… Hence, this choice is incorrect.











Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 06:46
egmat wrote:

In A, “sandpipers vanishing” is not a gerund. “Vanishing” is a verb-ing modifier that presents a characteristic of sandpipers that they are vanishing. Use of “vanishing” is incorrect here. It has been used to function as a gerund but it is not functioning as one.







Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


Dear Shradha,
Thanks a lot for your reply, but I have the following doubt.
I believe that vanishing might have acted as a verb-ing modifier had there been no verb 'is' in the sentence..

the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern
United States is a result


Also, instead of sandpipers vanishing, if we had the vanishing of sandpipers, will this act as a gerund?
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 23:11
egmat wrote:
Hi,

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

Image

Error Analysis

1. All the subjects and verbs make sense and agree in number with each other – “who (refers to individuals) with “have never seen”, “individuals” with “make”, “people” with “do” and “they” with “will”.
2. All the verbs are written in correct tenses.
3. Pronoun “they” correctly refers to “individuals”.
4. All the modifiers are placed correctly and they modify the correct entities.
5. Entities “who have blind…” and “who thus have never seen” are parallel. So are entities “individuals… make hand motions” and “sighted people do”. So are “that individuals…” and “that they will gesture…”.
6. The sentence use correct idiom “ X as abc as Y”.
7. This sentence is correct as is.

POE:

Choice A: who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture: Correct for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: who thus never saw anyone gesturing, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, and that they will gesture” Incorrect. 1. “who have been blind” and “who thus never saw” are not parallel. 2. From verb tense point also, use of past tense to talk about an action that is still performed by blind people is incorrect. 3. Adjective “frequent” cannot modify verb “make”. 4. Again, use of past tense “did” to talk about the general fact that is true of the present content is incorrect.

Choice C: who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, as well as gesturing: Incorrect. 1. Use of past tense “made” is incorrect because the sentence is stating a general fact in the present context. 2. Use of “as well as” introduces a new list per which “made” and “gesturing” should be parallel but they are not. 3. Also “as well as” violates the parallelism between “that individuals…” and “that they…”.

Choice D: thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless made hand motions when speaking just as frequent and in virtually the same way as sighted people did, as well as gesturing: Incorrect. 1. Use of “having seen” violates parallelism. 2. Also, this is the wrong tense to use in the context. 3. Use of past tense “made” is incorrect. 3. Adjective “frequent” cannot modify verb “make”. 4. Again, use of past tense “did” to talk about the general fact that is true of the present content is incorrect. 5. This choice repeats the errors of the use of “as well as” as in choice C.

Choice E:
thus never having seen anyone gesture, nevertheless to make hand motions when
speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and to gesture: Incorrect. 1. This choice repeats the errors of the use of “having seen” as in Choice D. 2. Use of “to” between subject “individuals” and verb “make” is incorrect. 3. “to gesture” is not parallel to “that individuals…”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha



Hi Shraddha,
Had there been 'gestured' instead of gesturing, it would have become parallel to 'made' and the sentence would have been right?
In this case do we still need a parallelism with 'that'?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Sachin
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1783
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [1] , given: 183

Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 07:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
Had there been 'gestured' instead of gesturing, it would have become parallel to 'made' and the sentence would have been right?
In this case do we still need a parallelism with 'that'?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Sachin


Hi Sachin,
We do need "that" to maintian parallelism in this sentence. This is because the reserachers found two things:
a. blind people make hand motions as frequently and in almost the same way as sighted people do.
b. blind people gesture even when they converse with another blind person.

These two facts need to be parallel and hence must the second entity must be preceded by "that" because the first entity is preceded by "that".

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Explanation required for OG SC [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 08:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,
Had there been 'gestured' instead of gesturing, it would have become parallel to 'made' and the sentence would have been right?
In this case do we still need a parallelism with 'that'?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Sachin


Hi Sachin,
We do need "that" to maintian parallelism in this sentence. This is because the reserachers found two things:
a. blind people make hand motions as frequently and in almost the same way as sighted people do.
b. blind people gesture even when they converse with another blind person.

These two facts need to be parallel and hence must the second entity must be preceded by "that" because the first entity is preceded by "that".

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


This is amazing..
One key takeaway that I have found from your videos is that you need to split the sentence into clauses.. Extremely thankful for your free videos :)
You guys rock!!
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: Explanation required for OG SC   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2012, 08:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic OG 13 SC explanations is too complicated to understand coolanujdel 2 19 Sep 2012, 06:07
Experts publish their posts in the topic OG 13 SC explanations is too complicated to understand coolanujdel 1 19 Sep 2012, 06:01
2 OG makes use of this term in the SC explanations. What does gmatpunjabi 3 08 Feb 2012, 13:24
Experts publish their posts in the topic SC Explanations in the OG metallicafan 2 28 Nov 2011, 19:16
Sc: Q39 OG 10E [Discussion required] GODSPEED 4 25 Oct 2008, 00:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Explanation required for OG SC

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.