Last visit was: 10 Jun 2024, 00:24 It is currently 10 Jun 2024, 00:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Level,    Comparisons,    Idioms/Diction/Redundancy,                         
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [57]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14713 [14]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4686 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
Re: As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl [#permalink]
Unlike the sting of the honeybee, the YJ can sting....
C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Send PM
Re: As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl [#permalink]
Kudos
E it should be .
The honey bee is compared to Yellow Jacket.

~sara
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4810 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
asaf wrote:
Unlike the sting of the honeybee, the YJ can sting....
C.

In C . the " sting of the honeybee" is compared to the YJ.

E is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
(A) As contrasted with the honeybee – incorrect comparison expression “As contrasted with”. either use "In comparison to" or "Compared with"
(B) In contrast to the honeybee’s – compared entities not logically parallel (honeybee’s and yellow jacket)
(C) Unlike the sting of the honeybee – compared entities not logically parallel (sting of honeybee and yellow jacket)
(D) Unlike that of the honeybee – compared entities not logically parallel (that of honeybee and yellow jacket), no antecedent for “that”
(E) Unlike the honeybee - correct
Kudos
nehanishika wrote:
As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.
(A) As contrasted with the honeybee
(B) In contrast to the honeybee’s
(C) Unlike the sting of the honeybee
(D) Unlike that of the honeybee
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
I'm little bit confused about the structure of this sentence. As far I know if we use ‘unlike’ in the sentence, then it gives the opposite meaning of the specific noun.
If I say:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a (…………………..). In the bracket, I’ve to put something, which is not owned by Robert.
Example:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a (doctor).
>>>The sentence implies that Robert is not a doctor.
In the original sentence of this question, it says:
Unlike the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.
Now, we can separate this sentence with different parts.

1) The yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying.
This part says that “The honeybee can’t sting repeatedly without dying”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?

2) The yellow jacket carries a potent venom.
This part says that “The honeybee doesn’t carry a potent venom”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?
Thank you all.
iMyself wrote:
nehanishika wrote:
As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
I'm little bit confused about the structure of this sentence. As far I know if we use ‘unlike’ in the sentence, then it gives the opposite meaning of the specific noun.
If I say:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a (…………………..). In the bracket, I’ve to put something, which is not owned by Robert.
Example:
Unlike the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.

This part says that “The honeybee can’t sting repeatedly without dying”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?

This part says that “The honeybee doesn’t carry a potent venom”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?
Thank you all.

Hi MartyMurray,
Do you think that THIS sentence is correct? I think THIS sentence doesn't make any sense! May I've your attention, please? Anyway, thank for your help!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15305 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
nehanishika wrote:
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
If I say:
Example:

Thank you all.

NOT (A AND B) is equivalent to (NOT A) OR (NOT B).
Hence all you can say from the given sentence is that the honeybee cannot do both the things - either it cannot sting repeatedly or it does not carry a potent venom. (The honeybee though may be capable of doing any ONE or NONE of the above two things.)
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
nehanishika wrote:
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
If I say:
Example:

Thank you all.

Hence all you can say from the given sentence is that the honeybee cannot do both the things - either it cannot sting repeatedly or it does not carry a potent venom. (The honeybee though may be capable of doing any ONE or NONE of the above two things.)

Thank you sayantanc2k for your kind response.
Well. I'm going to give you honeybee's actual features. Here is given honeybee's actual activities in the following.
The feature of honeybee:
1/ The honeybee can’t sting repeatedly without dying.
2/ The honeybee DOES carry a potent venom.
So, do you think that THIS sentence still makes sense, sayantanc2k ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15305 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Hi Expert,
If I say:
Example:

Thank you all.

Well. I'm going to give you honeybee's actual features. Here is given honeybee's actual activities in the following.
The feature of honeybee:

Of course it makes perfect sense. The honeybee has ONE of the capabilities, not BOTH. The last sentence of my previous post already explains this. In case you are still not clear, please feel free to post again here (and send me a PM with the link - in case I miss your post) - I would be happy to discuss further.
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

The feature of honeybee:

Of course it makes perfect sense. The honeybee has ONE of the capabilities, not BOTH. The last sentence of my previous post already explains this. In case you are still not clear, please feel free to post again here (and send me a PM with the link - in case I miss your post) - I would be happy to discuss further.

So, if I say:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a doctor and teacher.
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor.
or, Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.

or If I say:
Unlike iMyself, sayantanc2k 's GMAT score is Quant 50 and Verbal 47.
Also, this indicates that iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant 50 OR verbal SOMETHING, which is not exact 47.
or, iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant SOMETHING, which is not exact 50 OR verbal 47.
or, iMyself's GMAT score is NEITHER quant 50 NOR verbal 47.
right?
Thank you...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15305 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
The feature of honeybee:

So, if I say:
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor.

or If I say:
Also, this indicates that iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant 50 OR verbal SOMETHING, which is not exact 47.
or, iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant SOMETHING, which is not exact 50 OR verbal 47.
right?
Thank you...

I shall rectify your sentences a bit:
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor. OR Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.
In other words Robert cannot be both doctor and teacher.

The second sentence means:
imyself scores could be anything other than Q=50 V=47.
It could be Q=50 V<>47
It could be Q<>50 V=47
It could be Q<>50 V<>47
BUT,
it cannot be Q=50 V=47.
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

So, if I say:

or If I say:
right?
Thank you...

I shall rectify your sentences a bit:
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor. OR Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.
In other words Robert cannot be both doctor and teacher.

The second sentence means:
imyself scores could be anything other than Q=50 V=47.
It could be Q=50 V<>47
It could be Q<>50 V=47
It could be Q<>50 V<>47
BUT,
it cannot be Q=50 V=47.

sayantanc2k, you've rectified the following code.
Quote:

Actuall, i want to mean here the following:
Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher.
Robert is EITHER teacher OR doctor.
Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.

So, is there any mistake here?
Thanks...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15305 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k, you've rectified the following code.
Quote:

Actuall, i want to mean here the following:
Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher.
Robert is EITHER teacher OR doctor.
Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.

So, is there any mistake here?
Thanks...

The first two clauses mean exactly the same. Hence using them together is redundant. Hence I suggested deleting the second clause.
(Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher) OR (Robert is EITHER teacher OR doctor).
One of the clauses above is redundant and hence the above sentence is wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM

(E) Unlike the honeybee

The correct IDIOM usage is: Unlike x, y

Also, we need to compare noun vs noun, in this case - honey bee vs jacket

Hence, E is the only correct answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7721 [0]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
We need to first understand that the honeybee is compared to the yellow jacket.

We need a word that shows contrast and that compares two nouns.

Unlike’ fits well in this context.

We can scan the options and see what we get:

(E) Unlike the honeybee

Here, Option E compares the honeybee with the yellow jacket without any ambiguity.

Eliminate Options A, B, C and D.

Option E is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1297 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

(A) As contrasted with the honeybee -> we have "the honeybee" and "the yellow jacket" are in parallel. Let's keep it.

(B) In contrast to the honeybee’s -> we have "the honeybee’s" and "the yellow jacket" are not in parallel. Incorrect.

(C) Unlike the sting of the honeybee -> we have "the sting of the honeybee" and "the yellow jacket" are not in parallel. Incorrect.

(D) Unlike that of the honeybee -> we have "that of the honeybee" and "the yellow jacket" are not in parallel. Incorrect.

(E) Unlike the honeybee -> we have "the honeybee" and "the yellow jacket" are in parallel. Now, if we compare with A, option E is better.

So, I think E. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V37
Send PM

- As contrasted with the honeybee,
the yellow jacket (subject) can sting (verb) repeatedly (Adverb) without dying
and
carries (verb) a potent venom
that can cause intense pain.

error 1 - as is used to compare non-noun entities.

honeybee's is compared YJ

sting is compared to YJ

that of- sting? sting is compared to YJ

(E) Unlike the honeybee
honeybee is comapred to YJ - correct
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts