GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 21:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (00:22) correct 11% (00:27) wrong based on 3181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.

(A) As contrasted with the honeybee

(B) In contrast to the honeybee’s

(C) Unlike the sting of the honeybee

(D) Unlike that of the honeybee

(E) Unlike the honeybee

OG16 SC Q25

Originally posted by nehanishika on 06 Jul 2007, 15:20.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2018, 21:17, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B
Re: As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 12:33
Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a comparison/contrast sentence you might find on the GMAT exam! Before we get started, here is the original question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.

(E) Unlike the honeybee

Since we are dealing with a comparison/contrast of 2 items, the first thing we should check for is parallelism. The two items being compared or contrasted MUST be equal in number, type, or phrasing style.

In this sentence, "the yellow jacket" is one of the items being compared to something else. Let's see which answers compare it to a similar object, and eliminate those that don't:

(A) As contrasted with the honeybee --> yellow jacket vs. honeybee --> PARALLEL
(B) In contrast to the honeybee’s --> yellow jacket vs. something the honeybee owns --> NOT PARALLEL
(C) Unlike the sting of the honeybee --> yellow jacket vs. the sting --> NOT PARALLEL
(D) Unlike that of the honeybee --> yellow jacket vs. something the honeybee has --> NOT PARALLEL
(E) Unlike the honeybee --> yellow jacket vs. honeybee --> PARALLEL

We can eliminate options B, C, and D because they aren't comparing similar types of things.

Now that we're left with only 2 options, let's take a closer look to determine which is the best choice:

This is INCORRECT because it's overly wordy and sounds awkward. Why say "As contrasted with" when something simpler, such as "Unlike" works just as well?

(E) Unlike the honeybee

This is CORRECT! It is comparing two similar items (two types of bees), and it uses the most concise language possible!

There you have it - option E is the best choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

General Discussion
Director
Director
Re: As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2007, 17:06
Unlike the sting of the honeybee, the YJ can sting....
C.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2007, 17:15
E it should be .
The honey bee is compared to Yellow Jacket.

~sara
VP
VP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2007, 17:37
asaf wrote:
Unlike the sting of the honeybee, the YJ can sting....
C.

In C . the " sting of the honeybee" is compared to the YJ.

E is correct.
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 00:43
(A) As contrasted with the honeybee – incorrect comparison expression “As contrasted with”. either use "In comparison to" or "Compared with"
(B) In contrast to the honeybee’s – compared entities not logically parallel (honeybee’s and yellow jacket)
(C) Unlike the sting of the honeybee – compared entities not logically parallel (sting of honeybee and yellow jacket)
(D) Unlike that of the honeybee – compared entities not logically parallel (that of honeybee and yellow jacket), no antecedent for “that”
(E) Unlike the honeybee - correct

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 12:44
nehanishika wrote:
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
I'm little bit confused about the structure of this sentence. As far I know if we use ‘unlike’ in the sentence, then it gives the opposite meaning of the specific noun.
If I say:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a (…………………..). In the bracket, I’ve to put something, which is not owned by Robert.
Example:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a (doctor).
>>>The sentence implies that Robert is not a doctor.
In the original sentence of this question, it says:
Unlike the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.
Now, we can separate this sentence with different parts.

1) The yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying.
This part says that “The honeybee can’t sting repeatedly without dying”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?

2) The yellow jacket carries a potent venom.
This part says that “The honeybee doesn’t carry a potent venom”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?
Thank you all.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 09:25
iMyself wrote:
nehanishika wrote:
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
I'm little bit confused about the structure of this sentence. As far I know if we use ‘unlike’ in the sentence, then it gives the opposite meaning of the specific noun.
If I say:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a (…………………..). In the bracket, I’ve to put something, which is not owned by Robert.
Example:
Unlike the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedly without dying and carries a potent venom that can cause intense pain.

This part says that “The honeybee can’t sting repeatedly without dying”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?

This part says that “The honeybee doesn’t carry a potent venom”. Is it true for honeybee, expert?
Thank you all.

Hi MartyMurray,
Do you think that THIS sentence is correct? I think THIS sentence doesn't make any sense! May I've your attention, please? Anyway, thank for your help!

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 04:23
iMyself wrote:
nehanishika wrote:
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
If I say:
Example:

Thank you all.

NOT (A AND B) is equivalent to (NOT A) OR (NOT B).
Hence all you can say from the given sentence is that the honeybee cannot do both the things - either it cannot sting repeatedly or it does not carry a potent venom. (The honeybee though may be capable of doing any ONE or NONE of the above two things.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 09:39
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
nehanishika wrote:
(E) Unlike the honeybee

Hi Expert,
If I say:
Example:

Thank you all.

Hence all you can say from the given sentence is that the honeybee cannot do both the things - either it cannot sting repeatedly or it does not carry a potent venom. (The honeybee though may be capable of doing any ONE or NONE of the above two things.)

Thank you sayantanc2k for your kind response.
Well. I'm going to give you honeybee's actual features. Here is given honeybee's actual activities in the following.
The feature of honeybee:
1/ The honeybee can’t sting repeatedly without dying.
2/ The honeybee DOES carry a potent venom.
So, do you think that THIS sentence still makes sense, sayantanc2k ?

Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 11:49
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Hi Expert,
If I say:
Example:

Thank you all.

Well. I'm going to give you honeybee's actual features. Here is given honeybee's actual activities in the following.
The feature of honeybee:

Of course it makes perfect sense. The honeybee has ONE of the capabilities, not BOTH. The last sentence of my previous post already explains this. In case you are still not clear, please feel free to post again here (and send me a PM with the link - in case I miss your post) - I would be happy to discuss further.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 15:20
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

The feature of honeybee:

Of course it makes perfect sense. The honeybee has ONE of the capabilities, not BOTH. The last sentence of my previous post already explains this. In case you are still not clear, please feel free to post again here (and send me a PM with the link - in case I miss your post) - I would be happy to discuss further.

So, if I say:
Unlike Robert, Mr. Smith is a doctor and teacher.
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor.
or, Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.

or If I say:
Unlike iMyself, sayantanc2k 's GMAT score is Quant 50 and Verbal 47.
Also, this indicates that iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant 50 OR verbal SOMETHING, which is not exact 47.
or, iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant SOMETHING, which is not exact 50 OR verbal 47.
or, iMyself's GMAT score is NEITHER quant 50 NOR verbal 47.
right?
Thank you...

Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 07:32
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
The feature of honeybee:

So, if I say:
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor.

or If I say:
Also, this indicates that iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant 50 OR verbal SOMETHING, which is not exact 47.
or, iMself's GMAT score is EITHER quant SOMETHING, which is not exact 50 OR verbal 47.
right?
Thank you...

I shall rectify your sentences a bit:
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor. OR Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.
In other words Robert cannot be both doctor and teacher.

The second sentence means:
imyself scores could be anything other than Q=50 V=47.
It could be Q=50 V<>47
It could be Q<>50 V=47
It could be Q<>50 V<>47
BUT,
it cannot be Q=50 V=47.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 12:52
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

So, if I say:

or If I say:
right?
Thank you...

I shall rectify your sentences a bit:
It indicates that Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher, or, EITHER teacher OR doctor. OR Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.
In other words Robert cannot be both doctor and teacher.

The second sentence means:
imyself scores could be anything other than Q=50 V=47.
It could be Q=50 V<>47
It could be Q<>50 V=47
It could be Q<>50 V<>47
BUT,
it cannot be Q=50 V=47.

sayantanc2k, you've rectified the following code.
Quote:

Actuall, i want to mean here the following:
Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher.
Robert is EITHER teacher OR doctor.
Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.

So, is there any mistake here?
Thanks...

Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 12:33
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k, you've rectified the following code.
Quote:

Actuall, i want to mean here the following:
Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher.
Robert is EITHER teacher OR doctor.
Robert is NEITHER doctor NOR teacher.

So, is there any mistake here?
Thanks...

The first two clauses mean exactly the same. Hence using them together is redundant. Hence I suggested deleting the second clause.
(Robert is EITHER doctor OR teacher) OR (Robert is EITHER teacher OR doctor).
One of the clauses above is redundant and hence the above sentence is wrong.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 13:22

(E) Unlike the honeybee

The correct IDIOM usage is: Unlike x, y

Also, we need to compare noun vs noun, in this case - honey bee vs jacket

Hence, E is the only correct answer.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2017, 13:22

As contrasted with the honeybee, the yellow jacket can sting repeatedl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap