Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A prominent investor who holds a large stake Burton Tool

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 29

A prominent investor who holds a large stake Burton Tool [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

66% (02:03) correct 34% (01:30) wrong based on 30 sessions
A prominent investor who holds a large stake Burton Tool Company has recently claimed that the company is mismanaged, citing as evidence the company's failure to slow production in response to recent rise in its inventory of finished products It is doubtful whether an investor's sniping at manager can ever be anything other than counterproductive , but in this case it is clearly not justified. It is true that an increased inventory of finished products often indicates that production is outstripping demand, but in Burton's case it indicates no such thing. Rather, the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence to undermine the support for the position being opposed.

B The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second is evidence that has been used to support the position being opposed.

C The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.
D The first is evidence that has been used to SMPPort a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.

E The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

Other type of this question exists but this is another version. Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be rewarded with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 01:33
I m finding these Bold Face CRs a bit difficult to handle. Is there a methodology that we can adapt to solve such kind of questions.

Overall he opposes the initial premise that the company is mismanaged. And the second statement is an explanation to prove that the company is not mismanaged.

IMO B for this question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 09:19
I think it should be C

The first bold part as a whole mentions that investor claimed company is being mismanaged which if you read the whole para carefully is being refuted by the author.
The second bold face mentions that basically what the investor said is wrong. It continues to provide reasons why investor is wrong.

C is the best answer because 1st part provides a position with which the argument as a whole disagrees. The second bold face is on a high level the overall conclusion

What is OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 18:06
IMO C.

the company is mismanaged ::::: This is a position that is finally refuted.

but in this case it is clearly not justified ::: This is the conclusion of the argument on the whole.

Regards,
Saaquib

If you find any grammatical mistake in my post please don't hesitate in pointing out.

Please +1 if you find this post useful.

My Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 20:18
IMO C.

The first boldface has been disproved, once you read the entire argument.

The second boldface "but in this case it is clearly not justified" does not provide any evidence, but looking at the argument as a whole, it seems to be a conclusion. Hence, C.

What's OA?
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 02:54
+1 for C

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 17:31
C, as first is the position that the argument opposes, the second part is the conclusion of the second part of the passage which is the argument that opposed the position.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 22

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
acer2knight wrote:
I m finding these Bold Face CRs a bit difficult to handle. Is there a methodology that we can adapt to solve such kind of questions.

Hey i have attached a file , which is not prepared by me, but someone, it contains all the details of how to approach CR questions, including Bold Face CRs, go to the end of the document to read about Bold Face and follow the same method to solve Bold Face CRs, it will really help you, it not only worked for me but also many. Good Luck
Attachments

File comment: CR.notes
Charu_CR_Notes(Only If u feel CR is biting U).doc [127.5 KiB]
Downloaded 1772 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge
Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 11:19
According to GMAT Prep, it's B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 04:02
Yes, this is a GMAT prep question but with different bolded portions. With this version of the question, the answer is definitely C. i say this as in the the correct answer choice in the GMATprep says the first boldface (the one that is actually the second boldface in this version that we are discussing) is the conclusion. Thats what answer choice C indicates.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 21:52
:-D 101 % C only. heh
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:09
C..
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 19:18
+1 for C.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: A prominent investor bold face [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 22:41
Should be C

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake Burton Tool [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 05:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 32

Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake Burton Tool [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 19:09
A The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence to undermine the support for the position being opposed.--- The first statement is correct, but the second statement is not an evidence.

B The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second is evidence that has been used to support the position being opposed.--- Same as A. Second statement is not evidence.

C The first states the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.--- CORRECT.

D The first is evidence that has been used to SMPPort a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.--- The first is not an evidence but just something the investor claims.

E The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.---- The first statement is not an evidence but this what the investor claims.
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake Burton Tool   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2013, 19:09