Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 00:31 It is currently 09 May 2024, 00:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Rotman '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT Date: 07-05-2015
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
jigglypuff wrote:
i'm not jiggly darnit lol.

i'm not very sure about the finance side at rotman, since i'm on the consulting side. however, from my understanding, finance puts a lot of weight on networking and experience. since you have four years at a big 4 AND a grad degree, i think you're good on the experience side. if you want to switch into quant finance, and you're looking into applying at rotman, i would suggest start networking now and forming your relationships. many of my friends who got top finance gigs for the summer already had them by october. unfortunately, i'm not sure about the opportunities since i'm not looking into that career path.

Hi there,

You mentioned you're on the consulting front at Rotman. How are the opportunities like for consulting at Rotman? Does the career services help you a lot?

Also, my GMAT is a 640 only and GPA a 3.1 - do you think that puts me at a great disadvantage in my Rotman application?

What consulting opportunities are you leveraging? and did you secure an internship there in consulting?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rotman(Toronto) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
knight2015 : read what you highlighted. did you graduate from an english-speaking university?

----------

sghosal99 : profile looks good. but again, for a more accurate assessment, please speak to the admissions team. what's interesting about this whole profile assessment thing is that even if you're great on paper, and they like you, it does not guarantee entry. they look at your profile and personality, and see how you fit into the class as a whole. if there just happens to be 20 other applicants with very similar profiles as you, except they have longer experience or slightly better GMAT, they'd take them over you (if personality is the same). and even if you're better than all the other applicants except those 20, unfortunately they've already got 20 better versions of you. does that make sense? it's about diversity, in terms of industry experience, languages, nationality, background academics, personal stories, etc.

----------

divs173 : honestly, it depends on who you talk to. if you come in thinking that things will be handed to you because you got into rotman, you're not gonna get an internship and you'll blame the school saying they didn't help you enough. on the other hand, if you come in working your ass off, you'll get a placement. and yes career services help you a lot, but they will not come look for you. you have to take the initiative, but once you do they are very helpful. i spoke to my career coach at least one every two weeks, and during recruiting season, several times a week. they make time for you, especially if you've got interviews coming up.

in my opinion, yes, your GMAT and GPA are disadvantageous. while you meet the minimum requirements (or lack thereof), you are below the average. unless you have stellar work experience, i don't think you'll cut it. but again, confirm with admissions and see what they say. they might still like you based on your personal story and work experience. on the other side of what i mentioned earlier in this post, just because you have an under-average GMAT and GPA, if you have a very unique profile and you are very differentiated from the rest of your class, you have a good chance. so talk to admissions.

but i will say this. unless you hit near 3.8, 3.9 GPA in you first term at rotman, you will not get an internship with that GMAT. they typically look for 700+. if consulting is what you want to do, i may suggest that you consider retaking the GMAT.

i am looking at all opportunities in strategy, whether at a pure strategy house like MBB, or an ops strategy house like ATK or Deloitte S&O. and yes i did get an internship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
hi jigglypuff
requesting your assistance in evaluating my profile
B.tech Chemical Engineer with 3.2 years of work experience in operations in 3 major chemical plants(worked in World's largest petroleum and petrochemical complex).C.G.P.A 7.95/10 (was in top 10% of the class )and a GMAT of 660(q48,V33).Extra curricular:university badminton champion,played in all india inter-university. In office:Won 1st prize as the BEST speaker on the topic"Health,safety and Environmental regulations" in March 2015. Was actively involved in organisational work in college.Area of focus in MBA=International Business,entrepreneurship
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Send PM
Now that the race for MBA program has begun I believe many of you have already taken the GMAT and are looking into the application process.
Many of us move toward various consultancy services to guide us in the application process. These services are very costly and to add to it they don't really provide a deeper insight into the offerings of the universities.
All we can do is find current student/Alumni on LinkedIn and just hope that they do get back to us.
Lets say they do revert but many a times due to time crunch they are not able to help us properly.
I recently came across a website which targets exactly this aspect of the whole process.
This website has current students and alumni of all top notch universities registered with them.
You can choose your mentor on it and work on your application under their guidance. They help you in creating your stories and with the intricacies of the universities that are best know to them. Moreover, the provide editing service as well. All this at a much lower price than the what the normal consultancy services charge.
Go through the website https://www.appdeft.com.
You can find the details on this website.

I hope you guys will find this site helpful.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10041 [1]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM