Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 11:00
IMO B.

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 01:25
I'd bet for 'B':

Premise 1: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen
that is absorbed by the muscles
from the bloodstream.
Premise 2: ...entrepreneurs have begun selling bottles of drinking water, labeled
“SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water
Premise 3: the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is
through the lungs =>
Conclusion: Such water ("SuperOXY") would be useless in improving physical performance

improving physical performance = get rid of the limiting factors
1 of the limiting factors = quantity of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles (from premise 1)
Assumption: to drink "SuperOXY" = to provide oxygen to the muscles = improve physical performance
Premise 3 destroys such assumption and provides evidence for the conclusion

'B' also destroys such assumption and provides evidence for the conclusion because the fact that "amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb" makes any additional oxygen unnecessary and as a consequence makes "SuperOXY" useless in improving physical performance

'A' on the other hand actually is out of scope because we don't know whether the fact that "the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water" makes "SuperOXY" useless in improving physical performance. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 60

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 00:08
Well, guys, I see this question makes a lot of discussion. On gmatclub there are several older posts with this CRQ.
I picked answer B. And I am confident taht this is the right answer. Why? After surfing the Internet, I managed to find this question on Manhattan GMAT web-site. The OA there is the C, but if you analyze better all the answer choices and question stem, you can see that answer B (in this post on GMATclub) is RIGHT!.
Because on MGMAT the answer choices are given in reverse order. Look attentively. The relationship is the same: "the amount of oxygen in the blood who is exercising already more than the muscles can absorb" is mentioned in the stem and "the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is through the lungs" is mentioned in the OA.THUS B

What is the source for A?

link mentioned:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/one ... t5899.html

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 10:52
I agree with B too.

Is there an official explanation?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 03:57
One more in support of B!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 169

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 23:28
Definitely B.

Below is the same question from MGMAT but w/ reverse of our choice B with the original statement.

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health club bottles of drinking water, labeled "SuperOXY," that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the amount of oxygen in the blood who is exercising already more than the muscles can absorb.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?

A) world-class athletes turn in record performances without such water
B) frequent physical exercise increases the body's ability to take in and use oxygen
C) the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is through the lungs
D) lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance
E) the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water

OA: C
I chose A. I ruled out D, E as they are irrelevant. I had trouble choosing between A, B, C.

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 00:28
B for me

The function of the bold statement is to undermine the effect of SuperOxy, so we need an option that would render superOxy useless.

A. the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water --> Water lost in exercise can be replaced by tap water, but superoxy contains more oxygen which could enhance performance. So A is out!
B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already
more than the muscle can absorb --> Correct. If the body is not able to absorb any more oxygen, then superoxy does not serve any purpose.
C. world-class athletes turn in record performance without such water --> True, but it doesn't say whether superoxy could enhance these performances.
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use
oxygen -->Still no word about superoxy
E. lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance--> Still no word about superoxy

Raptor

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR tough one [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 06:42
B
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:16
Expert's post
New Gmat club project
Click here

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 18

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 13:09
Do not agree with choice A here. I would go with B.

Conclusion:
Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.

We need to provide an alternate reasoning to prove that such water is useless in improving physical performance, which is related to the amount of oxygen absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream.

A. the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap waterThis choice tells that the water lost during exercising can be replaced with ordinary water but does not give any information about improvement in physical performance after replacement.
B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already
more than the muscle can absorbThis choice exactly points that the amount of oxygen present in the people who exercise is already more and hence undermines the idea to use "SuperOXY" water to improve physical performance.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2013, 13:09