It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amoun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 0

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (00:48) correct 40% (00:56) wrong based on 362 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is through the lungs.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?

(A) the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water
(B) the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
(C) world-class athletes turn in record performance without such water
(D) frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen
(E) lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance

Similar Question : LINK

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The boldface statement is weakening the argument above, so we need to look for weakener so A or E, finally, i picked E....views???
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Aug 2017, 23:17, edited 4 times in total.
Formatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 04:51
singh_amit19 wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the statement in boldface?

A. the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water
B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
C. world-class athletes turn in record performance without such water
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen
E. lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance

The boldface statement is weakening the argument above, so we need to look for weakener so A or E, finally, i picked E....views???

As Amit pointed out the sentence "the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb" is
weakening the benefit of driking oxygen rich water. Why should one drink such water? To overcome a limitation and improve physical performance.

The boldfaced statement weakens the argument indirectly by saying the oxygen rich water is not going to help.

B is weakening the argument directly; it performs the same function as the boldfaced sentence.

I pick B. What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amoun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 08:53
Can anybody tell me why you are looking for "weakening" the argument.
Is it mentioned anywhere ? If not, I pick "D"

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 14:12
singh_amit19 wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is through the lungs.

B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb
D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen

E in my opinion. The boldface means that unless oxygen comes from the lungs, it will not be used. This implies that it's not just the lack of oxygen, but also the source of the oxygen that affects the performance. I think E can completely replace the original boldface without changing the meaning of the sentence.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2007, 17:14
singh_amit19 wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled “SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs.

Wow - this one was confusing as hell. I think Abiswas nailed the logic behind it.

We are asked to replace the bold part with an equivalent statement. Just before the bold part the argument says that the bottled water is useless and the bold part gives the reason why - because the oxygen packed in the bottled water is of no use AND since the purported purpose of the bottled water is to SUPPLY the additional oxygen - the PURPOSE of the bottled water is defeated thereby making the bottled water itself useless.
defeated.

How ELSE can we make the Bottled water useless aside from the fact that the oxygen it provides can't be gainfully used by the body? Well, given that the oxygen it provides is useless, the only other use of bottled water COULD be to replenish the body's water lost due to exercising. And this can be easily replenished by Tap water and this is what the choice A states.

BTW - I got this wrong. I had chosen D until I read Abiswas' explanation.

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2007, 10:00
Answer is B.

Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since

the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs

Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since

.......the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 20:18
Looks like the OA is A, after all. I am not sure how the OA could be different for two folks who came across the same question. Interesting question anyway.

Check this for a detailed discussion on this particular question from way back in 2007on this forum:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=373713#373713

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:27
GMBA85 wrote:
One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen
that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream. Accordingly, entrepreneurs
have begun selling at gymnasiums and health clubs bottles of drinking water, labeled
“SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water. Such water would be
useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get
oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is
through the lungs.

Which of the following, if true, would serve the same function in the argument as the
statement in boldface?

A. the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water -> its about dissolved O2 not about water

B. the amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb -> This is correct even though bottl has O2 but no use of them since muscles wont be able to absorb hence the bottle water is useless
IMO ANSWER
C. world-class athletes turn in record performance without such water -> OOS

D. frequent physical exercise increases the body’s ability to take in and use oxygen -> this is oos

E. lack of oxygen is not the only factor limiting human physical performance -> this says still bottle water can contribute tio increase O2 absorption hence eliminate

The bold Faced statement actually gives a counter premise to the given argument,again puts a limitation that even if bottle water is sold the purpose for selling is not fulfilled

IMO B

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 10:03
GMBA85 wrote:

Agree with A, which is more apealing than B. I also went to B but reversed back to A considering that if tap water can perform the same task that "SuperOXY" does, then “SuperOXY is useless.

B talks about only exercising people not about all people. so A has broader application than B.

Good one.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2009, 23:07
We need the source of this. It is clearly not an official GMAC question, because the OA is wrong. B is correct.

The role of the bolded statement is to show that the "superoxy" water cannot increase "the amount of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles from the bloodstream", which is SPECIFICALLY given as the limiting factor that this type of water is trying to address. If A is true, the water cannot increase that limiting factor, because oxygen from the water cannot get into the bloodstream and then be absorbed.

Only B has the same effect, i.e., if B is true, adding more oxygen to the bloodstream (whether from water or anything else) will not increase the specific limiting factor, which is the amount that the muscles absorb.

The fact that B is almost certainly NOT true in the real world is totally irrelevant to the question.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2009, 02:51
Since the question involves how O2 is a limiting factor for one's Physical performance and the "superoxy" water in turn helps to boost the O2 in the bloodstream, the options that can replace the statement in question can be A and B.

But according to the question these bottles are sold in gymnasiums, clearly these are people who excercise, thus i believe that the Option B holds

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:27
I vaguely recall this, but I'm pretty sure this was a gmat prep question.

From what I recall, the explanation for A was that since the bloodstream is limited in how much oxygen it can absorb (only way to get it into the body is through the lungs), it makes superOXY useless. Thus, instead of using superOXY, we can use ordinary tap water.

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2009, 10:16
OOPS! Correction to my post!!

I wrote "If A is true..." in the last sentence of my second paragraph. I meant "If the bolded statement is true..." I APOLOGIZE for this confusion.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2009, 10:29
If A is right, how can you assume that the amount of oxygen absorbed into the body is limited. It has not been said in the stimulus. If at all, I would think that the amount of oxygen absorbed should be more (since availability of oxygen is the limiting factor).

B actually has a similar analogy like the one in stimulus (an alternate explanation as to why SuperOxy may not be effective).

Any comments guys.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 02:25
I'd bet for 'B':

Premise 1: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amount of oxygen
that is absorbed by the muscles
from the bloodstream.
Premise 2: ...entrepreneurs have begun selling bottles of drinking water, labeled
“SuperOXY,” that has extra oxygen dissolved in the water
Premise 3: the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed by the muscles is
through the lungs =>
Conclusion: Such water ("SuperOXY") would be useless in improving physical performance

improving physical performance = get rid of the limiting factors
1 of the limiting factors = quantity of oxygen that is absorbed by the muscles (from premise 1)
Assumption: to drink "SuperOXY" = to provide oxygen to the muscles = improve physical performance
Premise 3 destroys such assumption and provides evidence for the conclusion

'B' also destroys such assumption and provides evidence for the conclusion because the fact that "amount of oxygen in the blood of people who are exercising is already more than the muscle can absorb" makes any additional oxygen unnecessary and as a consequence makes "SuperOXY" useless in improving physical performance

'A' on the other hand actually is out of scope because we don't know whether the fact that "the water lost in exercising can be replaced with ordinary tap water" makes "SuperOXY" useless in improving physical performance. :wink:

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2009, 03:37
OA - A. Actually a bit difficult to interpret but becomes clear when you read this part of the last sentence:
Such water would be useless in improving physical performance, however, since the only way to get oxygen into the bloodstream so that it can be absorbed bye the muscles is through the lungs

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2009, 03:42
tkarthi4u wrote:
Water ->increase the amount of 02 in the bloodstream -> increase physical performance.

I agree.

line of reasoning:
statement: lack of oxygen --> limit performance

conclusion: oxygen is absorbed only by the lungs --> super oxy does not help
(main point: oxygen absorption)

B's statement:
oxygen in breath is enough and more would be unnecessary --> super oxy does not help

(dang, I hate CR with boldfaces :cry: )

OA?

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 145 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2009, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
I think the answer to this question is B because the statement in boldface suggects
one of the reason why such water would not be usefull in physical performance. Option
B suggect another rason thatsince oxygen is alrady sufficient sufficient for muscles to absorb,
such water will be useleass.
A should be wrong because ordinary tap water can replace the water does not mean SuperOXY become useless.
For example, A medicine curing an desease does not implies that other medicine curing the same desease will become useless.

Consider kudos for good post.

Kudos [?]: 145 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 2

Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2009, 14:25
What is the source of the OA?

It doesn't seem right as A.

The bold face statement is an explanation as to why "such water would be useless in improving physical performance"

We need another reason as to why the water would be useless in improving physical performance. A gives us "tapwater will do the same thing to replace lost water". However the reason that SuperOXY is better is because it provides more oxygen not that it acts similarly to water.

Only B provides the proper reasoning.

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29081 [0], given: 5264

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2009, 15:02
3 threads about this question have been merged.

The source is: Official GMAT SET21 Q33 (Official GMAC Question)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29081 [0], given: 5264

Re: One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amoun   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2009, 15:02

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

One of the limiting factors in human physical performance is the amoun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap