Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: IIMC MBAEx'23
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]

Send PM
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyanshu14 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have gone through all the posts in this thread but I have doubt regarding:
"The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states"

How can Olympic games "Help"?
it should be "the organizing of Olympic games helped"

Above point is similar to reasoning provided that for option B: "proclaiming" can not be done by Olympic Games(logical)

Kindly clarify

Thanks in advance
EMPOWERgmatVerbal generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

There's no reason to expend any energy attempting to understand if the non-underlined portion is correct. We can't change it!

But for what it's worth, the usage is similar to the following:

"Basketball helped Kara deal with her despair after baseball season ended."

In this case, the sentence conveys the notion that it was "watching basketball" or "playing basketball" that helped Kara in her time of need, not that the sport itself was taking long therapeutic strolls with Kara. The point here is that "ABSTRACT NOUN DID X" is a fairly common construction in English, but it's rarely a decision point on the GMAT -- and it's absolutely never a problem if it's not underlined. :)

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]
For option B, why can't proclaiming modify the action of helped in the previous clause? Explaining how the Olympic game helped the peace?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Meisme wrote:
For option B, why can't proclaiming modify the action of helped in the previous clause? Explaining how the Olympic game helped the peace?

Yes, but the agent of proclaiming would continue to be Olympic Games, making option B untenable.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Present Participial phrase, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GMATNinja Quoting you from a post on another question, "The easiest way to assess whether a COMMA + VERB-ing construction works is to recognize that the VERB-ing modifier could be performing one of two functions. It could A) be giving you a consequence of the action given in the previous clause or B) giving you context for the action in the previous clause."

It seems to me as if VERB-ing in answer choice B is performing function B. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Also, it would help immensely if you explain why B is wrong. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

I'm happy to help with this. :-)
This is GMAT SC #60 in the OG13.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
The OG feels that the phrase "in that" is somewhat stilted and over-formal. It does use two words where one would suffice. This one is not black & white wrong, but more a shade of gray. If all the other answers were clearly wrong, this probably could pass as a correct anwer.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
Misplaced modifier. The world isn't "proclaiming", so who is? The games? the states? The GMAT doesn't like ambiguity. Also, this sentence has two distinct actions, so it would be best phrased as two full [noun] + [verb] clauses, and this option casts the second half of the sentence as a participial phrase rather than as a clause. This is wrong.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
A pronoun with unclear antecedent --- does "they" mean the states? the games? the people of Greece (not mentioned explicitly --- another no-no for antecedents on the GMAT!). The antecedent of the pronoun "they" is ambiguity. On GMAT SC, ambiguity = death. This is wrong.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
Very clear. We have two full clauses, joined by the conjunction "for" (which means "because"), thus making clear the causal link between the two actions. This is sleek, efficient, and direct ---- a very strong answer.

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
A winner of the flabby awkward Olympics! This changes the verb "proclaimed" to a noun "proclamation", and almost invariably, this is the GMAT's strategy for changing a correct answer into a wrong answer. Whenever a verb is re-written as a noun, that almost always makes the sentence more awkward, less direct, and more wordy --- that's exactly what we have here. This version is an unholy abomination that should be taken out back and shot. This is incorrect.

Again, if everything else failed, we might go with (A) in a pinch, but here, (D) is a much stronger answer --- clearly (D) is the best possible answer here.

Mike :-)

I rejected D because it changed the original meaning of the sentence from a qualifier relationship to a causal relationship. Please guide How i could have prevented this error from happening ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
I rejected D because it changed the original meaning of the sentence from a qualifier relationship to a causal relationship. Please guide How i could have prevented this error from happening ?

A friendly public service announcement: SC answer choices are never incorrect because they change the "original" meaning. There is no original meaning. There are simply five different ways to write a sentence, and our job is to select the best of those five. Moreover, if the meaning in (A) were illogical, you'd want to change the meaning.

"In that" means something to the effect of "in the sense that." We'd be most likely to use that construction to help explain an unclear or non-literal concept.

Here, there's nothing unclear or non-literal about the concept of keeping peace. It makes far more sense to explain why the Olympic games helped to keep peace, as (D) does, then to provide additional information about what keeping peace means, as we see in (A). Because (D) is more logical, it's better. It doesn't matter which came first.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
nuroahdfj567 wrote:
GMATNinja Quoting you from a post on another question, "The easiest way to assess whether a COMMA + VERB-ing construction works is to recognize that the VERB-ing modifier could be performing one of two functions. It could A) be giving you a consequence of the action given in the previous clause or B) giving you context for the action in the previous clause."

It seems to me as if VERB-ing in answer choice B is performing function B. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Also, it would help immensely if you explain why B is wrong. Thank you.

Here's the full sentence, with (B) inserted into it:

Quote:
(B) The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that "proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month" is trying to give us context for the action in the previous clause. But it's pretty confusing: who, exactly, is doing the proclaiming? Are the Olympic Games themselves proclaiming a truce? The "Greek world"? I don't think either of those make much sense.

Notice that (D) avoids the issue completely: "a truce was proclaimed" is passive voice, but at least it's not illogical.

The other issue I see with (B) is the possessive phrase "festival's month". How does a festival possess a month? That doesn't make much sense, either.

To be fair, I think this is a pretty darned tough question. I think (D) sounds like hot garbage, but sound doesn't matter on GMAT SC, right?

I hope this helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
proclaim means "announcing officially"
truce - an agreement between two rivals/enemies/teams
and pugnacious means - combative/aggressive

But Option B says -
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month.
meaning -
The olympic games helped to keep peace by announcing an agreement of peace.
No, the games did not announce, may be some person announced.
but what sentence actually want to say is -
The olympic games helped to keep peace among aggressive states in Greek world by an announcement (proclamation) (of a sacred agreement of piece) during month of the festival.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month

"festival's month" is unidiomatic.
Another example: incorrect: "table's legs". and it should be "legs of the table".
Therefore, it should be "month of the festival"

In addition, "in that" is usually used to describe characteristics of human/animals/objects. For example: Humans are mammals in that they are warm-blooded.
But in this answer choice, what comes after "in that" is not a characteristic of any objects.

1. same problem as in A (festival's month)

2. "proclaiming" can be ambiguous since it could refer to "The Olympic Games" or "states of the Greek".

"they" could be ambiguous.

In addition, in the original sentence, "in that" means "because". However, C uses "when" which doesn't convey the idea of the casual relationships.

Correct.

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

"that was" makes it sound like the truce was "only valid for a month of that festival". However, the original sentence meant to be "a truce proclaimed in the month of the fest". Remember, "that was" only meant a period of time.

Originally posted by emcheeks on 03 Jul 2020, 10:52.
Last edited by emcheeks on 24 Jul 2020, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I am a non-native speaker and I have a question on D:

"for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival".

I thought "for" could only be followed by noun, but it seems to be followed by a sentence. Or maybe there was a "that" which was omitted to make it "for a scared truce that was proclaim..."?

If yes, I am confused about when we should keep or omit "that".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
emcheeks wrote:
I am a non-native speaker and I have a question on D:

"for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival".

I thought "for" could only be followed by noun, but it seems to be followed by a sentence. Or maybe there was a "that" which was omitted to make it "for a scared truce that was proclaim..."?

If yes, I am confused about when we should keep or omit "that".
Hi emcheeks,

This for means "because".

She refused to accept defeat, for she knew that she could do better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
dj wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month

Swans Hellenic Cruise Handbook, Page 75

https://archive.org/stream/swanhelleniccrui00swan#page/74/mode/2up
Attachment:
SC Olympia.png

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

Attachment:
03.jpg

Attachment:
04.jpg

AjiteshArun

I went to the discussion.However I could not decipher the proper meaning.I understand 'For' means 'Because', which is used to state reason.basically the 'WHY' part.But how does this makes sense in this question.

Is the sentence trying to say : Olympic helped to keep peace because truce was proclaimed.

Or in other words-

Question: why did Olympic help keep peace.

Answer: Because truce was proclaimed.

I could not understand the causal oink between these 2 statement since meaning is not making sense.(is it a part of truce-written agreement- to keep peace through Olympic games?

Posted from my mobile device
GMATNinja wrote:
nuroahdfj567 wrote:

Here's the full sentence, with (B) inserted into it:

Quote:
(B) The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that "proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month" is trying to give us context for the action in the previous clause. But it's pretty confusing: who, exactly, is doing the proclaiming? Are the Olympic Games themselves proclaiming a truce? The "Greek world"? I don't think either of those make much sense.

Notice that (D) avoids the issue completely: "a truce was proclaimed" is passive voice, but at least it's not illogical.

The other issue I see with (B) is the possessive phrase "festival's month". How does a festival possess a month? That doesn't make much sense, either.

To be fair, I think this is a pretty darned tough question. I think (D) sounds like hot garbage, but sound doesn't matter on GMAT SC, right?

I hope this helps a bit!

GMATNinja
Quote:
D) The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival.

But, from choice D (correct choice), we still don't know who, exactly, is doing the proclaiming, do we?
Am I missing anything?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Quote:
But, from choice D (correct choice), we still don't know who, exactly, is doing the proclaiming, do we?
Am I missing anything?

In Option B ', proclaiming...' is an action modifier, which is implying that the doer of the action 'proclaiming' is The Olympic Games - the subject of the main clause.

But as per the original sentence, there is no information about the doer of the action 'proclaim' and hence option B is distorting the meaning.

In option D, "a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival" is written in the passive voice, which does not give information about the doer and does not create any ambiguity about the doer of the action 'proclaim'.

Experts, correct me if I am wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ravs113 wrote:
But as per the original sentence, there is no information about the doer of the action 'proclaim' and hence option B is distorting the meaning.

Hi Ravs113,

My reply is not specific to this question, but the first option is not special. We should not assume that the correct option will always convey the same meaning as the first option. We should go through all the five options, and then take a call on the intended meaning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Hi Ravs113,

My reply is not specific to this question, but the first option is not special. We should not assume that the correct option will always convey the same meaning as the first option. We should go through all the five options, and then take a call on the intended meaning.

Hi AjiteshArun,

My understanding is that if the intended meaning in the given sentence is not clear, then we have to rely on answer choices. But if the intent is clear, then we should avoid the choices which have a meaning error.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, egmat, CJAnish,

In option C – can we say that the use of “whendistorts the meaning. Acc. to me “when” as a time indicator seems to modify the verb “helped”.

Therefore, this options apparently emphasises the instance when the peace was kept among nations instead of the intended or logical meaning – i.e how the Olympic Games helped to keep peace among nations.

Would appreciate if you could help me here!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts