Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 22 Jul 2019, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 886
Location: Florida
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jan 2019, 01:24
41
223
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:11) correct 51% (01:21) wrong based on 5078 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.


(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival


Swans Hellenic Cruise Handbook, Page 75

https://archive.org/stream/swanhelleniccrui00swan#page/74/mode/2up
Attachment:
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 81.85 KiB | Viewed 10202 times ]

Attachment:
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 56.16 KiB | Viewed 10167 times ]

Attachment:
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 68.86 KiB | Viewed 10188 times ]

Attachment:
04.jpg
04.jpg [ 115.95 KiB | Viewed 10208 times ]

Attachment:
SC Olympia.png
SC Olympia.png [ 754.83 KiB | Viewed 13606 times ]

Originally posted by dj on 25 Nov 2003, 22:25.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jan 2019, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4487
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 16:17
30
30
skamal7 wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

I'm happy to help with this. :-)
This is GMAT SC #60 in the OG13.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
The OG feels that the phrase "in that" is somewhat stilted and over-formal. It does use two words where one would suffice. This one is not black & white wrong, but more a shade of gray. If all the other answers were clearly wrong, this probably could pass as a correct anwer.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
Misplaced modifier. The world isn't "proclaiming", so who is? The games? the states? The GMAT doesn't like ambiguity. Also, this sentence has two distinct actions, so it would be best phrased as two full [noun] + [verb] clauses, and this option casts the second half of the sentence as a participial phrase rather than as a clause. This is wrong.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
A pronoun with unclear antecedent --- does "they" mean the states? the games? the people of Greece (not mentioned explicitly --- another no-no for antecedents on the GMAT!). The antecedent of the pronoun "they" is ambiguity. On GMAT SC, ambiguity = death. This is wrong.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
Very clear. We have two full clauses, joined by the conjunction "for" (which means "because"), thus making clear the causal link between the two actions. This is sleek, efficient, and direct ---- a very strong answer.

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
A winner of the flabby awkward Olympics! This changes the verb "proclaimed" to a noun "proclamation", and almost invariably, this is the GMAT's strategy for changing a correct answer into a wrong answer. Whenever a verb is re-written as a noun, that almost always makes the sentence more awkward, less direct, and more wordy --- that's exactly what we have here. This version is an unholy abomination that should be taken out back and shot. This is incorrect.

Again, if everything else failed, we might go with (A) in a pinch, but here, (D) is a much stronger answer --- clearly (D) is the best possible answer here.

Mike :-)
_________________
Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 131
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2009, 14:11
6
1
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.
A QUESTION TYPE WHERE MERELY GRAMMAR DOESNOT SUFFICE,UNDERSTANDING THE
INTENTION OF THE QUESTION BECOMES NECESSARY..AND ITS THE MOST DANGEROUS FORM OF SC QUESTION.THE SENTENCE IS TRYING TO STATE THAT THE PPROOF THAT OLYMPIC GAMES HELPED TO KEEP PEACE WAS THE FACT THAT A PEACE TREATY WAS SIGNED.NO CAUSE EFFECT IS MEANT HERE.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
FESTIVALS'S MONTH sounds unidimatic.MONTH OF FESTIVAL is a better usage
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
OLYMPIC GAMES CANNOT PROCLAIM ANYTHING
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
FOR HE FESTIVAL MONTH is unidiomatic expression
should be DURING THE MONTH OF THE FESTIVAL
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
CORRECT
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
TOO WORDY
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2857
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jan 2019, 01:22
18
21
Let's apply e-GMAT 3 step process to solve this question:

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

A. world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
B. world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month
C. world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
D. world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
E. world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival


SENTENCE STRUCTURE

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world
o in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.


Image

• This sentence tells us that the Olympic Games helped to keep peace among otherwise fighting states of the Greek World.
o This became possible because a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. Note that, the sentence does not tell us who proclaimed this truce.


Image

ERROR ANALYSIS

1. The phrase “festival’s month” is not idiomatic. It gives the meaning that the festival possesses the month. When referring to an inanimate object, we must avoid possessive. This expression should be “the month of the festival”.
2. Here, the expression “in that” means “because”. In this case, ‘because’ is preferred since it is more concise and gives the meaning directly. Note that ‘for’, which is used in the correct option, also means because.
Also as the OG says, this two-word expression can be replaced with a word for conciseness.


PoE

A. Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B. Incorrect.
1. The phrase “festival’s month” is incorrect as explained in the error analysis.
2. The verb-ing modifier “proclaiming” seems to modify the preceding clause. Now, when a verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause, it should make sense with the subject of the preceding clause. So, this option indicates that the Olympic Games did the action of “proclaiming a sacred truce”.
However, if we refer back to the meaning analysis it was not clear from the original sentence who proclaimed the sacred truce. The Games themselves could not have proclaimed anything. So, this option does not indicate a logically correct meaning.


C. Incorrect
1. The reference of the pronoun ‘they’ is ambiguous. It can refer to “the pugnacious states” or “the Olympic Games”.
2. The original sentence indicates that the truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. This meaning is not conveyed by this option.


D. Correct.
This option corrects the idiom error from the original sentence and replaces the phrase “in that” with “for”, making the sentence concise.


E. Incorrect.
This option is very wordy as compared to option A and D. Also, it suggests that the proclamation of the sacred truce was done by the Olympic Games. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.



Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Deepak
_________________

Originally posted by egmat on 25 Jun 2014, 02:26.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jan 2019, 01:22, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: In the realms of Chaos & Night
Joined: 13 Sep 2015
Posts: 149
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 12:39
1
1
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month. - Incorrect Unidiomatic
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month. Incorrect Unidiomatic, The sentence means that the olympic games are proclaiming.
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month. Incorrect - Pronoun Ambiguity.
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. Correct - For = Beacuse
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival.Incorrect - The sentence means that the olympic games are proclaiming.
Hope this helped, please share Kudos +1 :)
_________________
Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "


"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Posts: 72
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 04:56
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
- It has not spesific error but few red lights
- 1) The use of festival’s month - implies possesivness by the festival of the month. " The month of the festival is preffered.
- Let's hold it for now.

- The use of "in that" is a bit strage. "beucase" might feel more natural.
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
- the V-ing modifier does not makes sense with the subject of the preceding clause (since gmaes cannot proclaim somthing).
- B is out.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
- the original statment describes a general behaviour. the use here of when implies a spesific event.
- This is a clear meaning change, hence C is out.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
- the use of "for" is ok here (part of FANBOYS to connect to independant clauses)
- we have "month of the festival" which is prefered to the "festival's month"
- This option is better than A.
- A is out.
- We keep D.

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
- again the use of "by proclaiming" gives the meaning that the games performed an action - this does not makes sense.

D is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 259
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:23
Hi Expert,

I think there is a gap in my understanding. Please help !

The crow differs from eagle in that eagle has the sharp vision-- correct

As per my understanding "in that" clause is used to present "how"-- how crow differs from eagle

In the same way

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world

how? in that (how Olympic games helped?)

a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of festival.

Acc to this reasoning, choice A seems to be correct
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2870
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 05:13
1
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

I think there is a gap in my understanding. Please help !

The crow differs from eagle in that eagle has the sharp vision-- correct

As per my understanding "in that" clause is used to present "how"-- how crow differs from eagle

In the same way

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world

how? in that (how Olympic games helped?)

a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of festival.

Acc to this reasoning, choice A seems to be correct


Words such as "differ" should be there in the sentence if you would like to use "in that" to depict "how". Consider your own sentence:

The crow differs from eagle in that eagle has the sharp vision-- correct

You would not be able to construct this sentence only using "in that" (without "differ").

I scored high in that I studied hard... you may well understand that this sentence does not make sense (though how I scored high is depicted by I studied hard.)
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 160
Reviews Badge
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 14:37
My 2 cents:
NOTE: Phrases “during the month of the festival” and “for the month of the festival” mean separate things.
“during the month of the festival” – something was done during the month of festival. HERE WE DON’T KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

“for the month of the festival” – something was solely done for the duration of festival month. HERE WE DO KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

So in options C and E change the meaning of the sentence.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2870
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 09:49
1
manishtank1988 wrote:
My 2 cents:
NOTE: Phrases “during the month of the festival” and “for the month of the festival” mean separate things.
“during the month of the festival” – something was done during the month of festival. HERE WE DON’T KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

“for the month of the festival” – something was solely done for the duration of festival month. HERE WE DO KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

So in options C and E change the meaning of the sentence.


Not necessarily - "I have enough stock for this month.". This sentence does not imply that the stock will end at the end of this month.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1033
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 11:06
Answer is D .
B seems to be trap answer .
In B proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month implies that Olympic games proclaimed the truce which is nonsensical.
Am i correct?
_________________
Please give kudos if you find my answers useful
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2857
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 13:16
arvind910619 wrote:
Answer is D .
B seems to be trap answer .
In B proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month implies that Olympic games proclaimed the truce which is nonsensical.
Am i correct?



Hello arvind910619,

Yes, you are correct in your analysis of Choice B.

Also the phrase festival's month is incorrect because this phrase seems to suggest that the month belonged to the festival. This is again nonsensical. The correct phrase the month of the festival conveys the logical meaning.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1379
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 22:36
arvind910619 wrote:
B seems to be trap answer .
In B proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month implies that Olympic games proclaimed the truce which is nonsensical.
Am i correct?

Hi arvind910619, yeah indeed and this is so subtle. Very good catch!

In fact, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses an example that is based on this very question, to illustrate this subtle meaning issue. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Olympic Games.pdf [11.46 KiB]
Downloaded 56 times

To download please login or register as a user


_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 929
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 04:40
1
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month ==> Festivals month is incorrect usage as festival is inanimate object and hence we should avoid possessive.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month ==> "Proclaiming" incorrectly modifying the previous clause which changes the meaning of the sentence, and the same error as the incorrect usage of festival's month.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month ==> "They" refers to whom here? “the pugnacious states” or “the Olympic Games”? - Usage is ambiguous.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival = CORRECT

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival ==> Changes the meaning of the sentence

Hence, D
_________________
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 105
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 23:42
1
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
As per OG explanation, “in that” is overly formal and stilted, and therefore, ‘for’ should be preferred over the same.
Also, “festival’s month” is an informal way of saying the idea “the month of the festival”. On GMAT, we should prefer the latter way.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
“proclaiming” is a verb-ing modifier following a clause and preceded by a comma. Therefore, it acts as a clause modifier. However, it doesn’t make sense with the subject of the preceding clause. The Games cannot proclaim anything!

Also, “month of the festival” is preferred over “festival’s month”.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
There is no antecedent of “they”. “they” cannot logically refer to ‘Olympic Games’. Also, “month of the festival” is preferred over “festival month”.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
CORRECT. For is used as BECAUSE over here. Other Examples include,

I was tired, for I had played cricket throughout the day..
I was very happy with her, for she supported me in all situations..
I gave few examples on usage of 'for', for smartyguy wanted clarity on the usage..

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
Like option B, this option also indicates that the Olympic Games did the proclamation! (Here "By proclamation" refers to the subject of the sentence -- The Olympic Games similar to the VERB-ING modifier in option B)

Also, this option distorts the meaning of the sentence. This option means that the sacred truce was always for the month of the festival which is NON-SENSICAL (as this information is presented by using a ‘that’ clause modifying ‘sacred truce’). Per the intended meaning it was "during the month of the festival."
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 01:47
mikemcgarry wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

I'm happy to help with this. :-)
This is GMAT SC #60 in the OG13.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
The OG feels that the phrase "in that" is somewhat stilted and over-formal. It does use two words where one would suffice. This one is not black & white wrong, but more a shade of gray. If all the other answers were clearly wrong, this probably could pass as a correct anwer.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
Misplaced modifier. The world isn't "proclaiming", so who is? The games? the states? The GMAT doesn't like ambiguity. Also, this sentence has two distinct actions, so it would be best phrased as two full [noun] + [verb] clauses, and this option casts the second half of the sentence as a participial phrase rather than as a clause. This is wrong.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
A pronoun with unclear antecedent --- does "they" mean the states? the games? the people of Greece (not mentioned explicitly --- another no-no for antecedents on the GMAT!). The antecedent of the pronoun "they" is ambiguity. On GMAT SC, ambiguity = death. This is wrong.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
Very clear. We have two full clauses, joined by the conjunction "for" (which means "because"), thus making clear the causal link between the two actions. This is sleek, efficient, and direct ---- a very strong answer.

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
A winner of the flabby awkward Olympics! This changes the verb "proclaimed" to a noun "proclamation", and almost invariably, this is the GMAT's strategy for changing a correct answer into a wrong answer. Whenever a verb is re-written as a noun, that almost always makes the sentence more awkward, less direct, and more wordy --- that's exactly what we have here. This version is an unholy abomination that should be taken out back and shot. This is incorrect.

Again, if everything else failed, we might go with (A) in a pinch, but here, (D) is a much stronger answer --- clearly (D) is the best possible answer here.

Mike :-)




HI,

In the option A, it indicates that the truce was proclaimed during in the games. However in the option D it doesnt say so. So can this choice be right ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 05:07
coolnaren wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

I'm happy to help with this. :-)
This is GMAT SC #60 in the OG13.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
The OG feels that the phrase "in that" is somewhat stilted and over-formal. It does use two words where one would suffice. This one is not black & white wrong, but more a shade of gray. If all the other answers were clearly wrong, this probably could pass as a correct anwer.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
Misplaced modifier. The world isn't "proclaiming", so who is? The games? the states? The GMAT doesn't like ambiguity. Also, this sentence has two distinct actions, so it would be best phrased as two full [noun] + [verb] clauses, and this option casts the second half of the sentence as a participial phrase rather than as a clause. This is wrong.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
A pronoun with unclear antecedent --- does "they" mean the states? the games? the people of Greece (not mentioned explicitly --- another no-no for antecedents on the GMAT!). The antecedent of the pronoun "they" is ambiguity. On GMAT SC, ambiguity = death. This is wrong.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
Very clear. We have two full clauses, joined by the conjunction "for" (which means "because"), thus making clear the causal link between the two actions. This is sleek, efficient, and direct ---- a very strong answer.

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
A winner of the flabby awkward Olympics! This changes the verb "proclaimed" to a noun "proclamation", and almost invariably, this is the GMAT's strategy for changing a correct answer into a wrong answer. Whenever a verb is re-written as a noun, that almost always makes the sentence more awkward, less direct, and more wordy --- that's exactly what we have here. This version is an unholy abomination that should be taken out back and shot. This is incorrect.

Again, if everything else failed, we might go with (A) in a pinch, but here, (D) is a much stronger answer --- clearly (D) is the best possible answer here.

Mike :-)




HI,

In the option A, it indicates that the truce was proclaimed during in the games. However in the option D it doesnt say so. So can this choice be right ?


Hi coolnaren

Choice A says that there was peace during the month in which the games were held. (This is the same meaning that Choice D gives us, albeit in a slightly better construction.) However, you have shared that that choice A conveys that peace or truce was proclaimed during the games themselves. So, there seems to be a gap in the understanding here. Could you please take a look at choice A again and check whether you misread any of the portions?

Cheers! :)

NS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 268
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 04:43
???festival???s month??? is not idiomatic as mentioned by egmat
whereas mikemcgarry mentioned in that is less preferred so option A is rejected

I would like to know is festival's month is unidiomatic or idiomatic?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2676
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 05:56
A question from our sentence correction "ask me anything" thread:

Rebekah wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Hi, Ninja, I have seen all the posts about this question, but I still have to ask about the use of "in that". What does it mean? Can you give me a few examples about "in that' ? Thank you so much!!

The phrase "in that" doesn't appear on the GMAT too often... and now that I'm thinking about it, the phrase doesn't appear very often in modern English in general. So don't lose too much sleep over it, but it's basically a goofy way of saying "because."

And I guess that's fine: "The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world [because] a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month." I can live with that, I guess.

The bigger issue in (A) is that it doesn't really make sense to say "the festival's month." That's a misuse of the possessive. I can't understand how the festival can possess the month. (teaserbae, I don't think that the issue is that it's "unidiomatic". The problem is that the meaning isn't quite right.)

I hope this helps a bit!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 497
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 15:50
Hello Everyone!

There have already been some great discussions about modifiers, transitions, and wordiness on this question. Let's tackle this question from a different angle and narrow it down to the right answer! Before we dive in, let's take a closer look at the original question and highlight any major differences in orange:

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

After a quick glance over the options, a few things stand out that we can focus on:

1. transition after "world": in that / proclaiming / when they / for / by proclamation of
2. the festival's month / the festival month / the month of the festival
3. during vs. for


Let's start with #3 on our list: during vs. for. Since this is an "x or y" situation, we know it will likely eliminate 2-3 options quickly, so it's a great place to start. It may seem like these two words can be used interchangeably, but when it comes to discussing time and events, they mean different things:

during = discussing something that happens within a time period (We went skiing during our 2-month long school break.)
for = discussing the duration of time an event happens (We studied for our final exams for 12 hours straight.)

Since we are talking about something that happens within a certain time period (a truce being proclaimed during the games), we need to keep options that use "during" and toss any options that use "for":

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

We can eliminate options C & E because they use "for" instead of "during" to indicate that the truce occurs within the time frame that the games take place.

Next, let's focus on #2 on our list: the festival's month / the festival month / the month of the festival. This is another issue of idiom structure that focuses on how we discuss events which take place during a certain time:

the festival's month = the month belongs to the festival (...which doesn't really sound right, does it?)
the month of the festival = the festival takes place during a specific month (...which makes more sense, don't you think?)

My daughter's birthday takes place during the spring break's week. --> BAD
My daughter's birthday takes place during the week of her spring break. --> GOOD

In English, it makes more sense to say an event takes places during "the month of" rather than saying the month is owned by an event.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival

We can eliminate options A & B because the use the incorrect idiom structure "during the festival's month" to discuss an event that happens within a certain time frame.

There you go - option D is the correct choice! It's the only one that uses proper idiomatic structures to discuss events and timing!


Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2019, 15:50

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne