Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
generis AndrewN GMATNinja

Just want to understand that is the usage of 'being' correct in option A.

As far as I know 'being' is correct in 2 cases :--
1. Being used as a gerund
2. Being used as a past progressive

Hello, warrior1991. The use of being in option (A) does not automatically rule out the sentence. I was expecting a gerundive phrase to then serve as the subject of a second independent clause, but that second clause never came. To be clear, being is used as a gerund in (A), but nothing builds off of it. I see that others have drawn attention to the lack of a subject in the latter portion of the sentence as grounds for dismissal, but it is actually the lack of a verb that keeps us from considering (A) (since the gerundive phrase cannot serve as a subject without a verb). The following sentence, which adopts a related construct to the one above, would be valid. I will take the liberty of drawing attention to the gerundive phrase acting as the subject and the verb that helps form the predicate of the second independent clause.

Everyone who eventually reaches adulthood goes through adolescence, yet being a teenager often proves exceedingly difficult in the moment.

If we break down the latter part of (A) in a similar fashion, you can see what I mean:

being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime

Yes, that is right: the entire phrase, embedded clause and all, could be thought of as the subject of a potential second independent clause, but no verb appears to tell us what being... achieves. That is, we need to know what being so far away... does to call the whole thing a proper subject. (Change only operates within the embedded clause.)

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th [#permalink]
Please can someone elaborate on the usage of 'being' on GMAT. It's very confusing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Kudos
sudeshpatodiya wrote:
Please can someone elaborate on the usage of 'being' on GMAT. It's very confusing.

Hi sudeshpatodiya

You may find this post useful.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ornithologis ... l#p2288730
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sudeshpatodiya wrote:

Hi sudeshpatodiya, few scenarios when the usage of being is correct are:

i) being in a progressive form (depicting the meaning in the process of)

ii) When being is used as a gerund (noun form)

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses usage of "being", its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
In (B), "they" after but should refer back to the subject of the previous clause "planets" which is wrong, then how com "they" is referring to "stars"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
In (B), "they" after but should refer back to the subject of the previous clause "planets" which is wrong, then how com "they" is referring to "stars"?

Hi Lakshya, stars (and not planets) is the subject of the previous clause the stars are in motion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

lakshya14

(B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

The Subject of the previous clause is 'stars' and not 'planets'. "They" is referring to "stars"

"Like the Planets" is modifier modifying the stars.
Try to remove the 'Like the Planets' part. The remaining part still makes sense. "The stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds; but they are"
AjiteshArun wrote:
singhamit06 wrote:
In B option, Isn't antecedent of "They" ambiguous?
Stars or Planets?
Hi singhamit06,

We could consider the they ambiguous (though the way the sentence is structured makes it hard to link the they to planets), but pronoun ambiguity is not a major issue. We should remove an option on the basis of pronoun ambiguity only when we don't have a better, more reliable way to get through the question.

AjiteshArun
Quote:
Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

it seems that 'some of them at tremendous speeds' is the modifier of 'the stars are in motion' not 'Like the planets' at all. so, 'them' indicates only noun of modified part (the stars are in motion), and ultimately 'them' refers to 'they' in the next clause. so, 'they' or 'them' is not ambiguous. am i right in my way of thinking?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AjiteshArun

it seems that 'some of them at tremendous speeds' is the modifier of 'the stars are in motion' not 'Like the planets' at all. so, 'them' indicates only noun of modified part (the stars are in motion), and ultimately 'them' refers to 'they' in the next clause. so, 'they' or 'them' is not ambiguous. am i right in my way of thinking?

Hi TheUltimateWinner,

Think of it as a "signal" to the reader. Even if something like this is reasonably clear, it is still just a "signal". Of course, if you've seen a rule that says that a pronoun cannot refer to another element in the sentence, I'd be happy to take a look at that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

(A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

(B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

(C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

(D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

(E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 775
Page: 704

The World Almanac and Book of Facts

The stars are also in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away that their motion does not change their apparent positions in the heavens sufficiently for anyone to perceive that change in a single lifetime.

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

Attachment:
03.jpg

Attachment:
04.jpg

Hello experts,

Can we say that, in addition to the errors pointed out by various experts, usage of "being" is also an error because it seems like it refers to temporary state. It seems like the stars are being far away for some time and then they'll not be far away.

Is my understanding wrong?

And can you please explain WHY is the modifier "some of them at tremendous speed" modifying "the stars are in motion" and not "starts"? I mean how would the meaning change if it modifies "stars"?

Thank you in advance!

ChiranjeevSingh VeritasKarishma GMATNinja AjiteshArun AndrewN
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
Hello experts,

Can we say that, in addition to the errors pointed out by various experts, usage of "being" is also an error because it seems like it refers to temporary state. It seems like the stars are being far away for some time and then they'll not be far away.

And can you please explain WHY is the modifier "some of them at tremendous speed" modifying "the stars are in motion" and not "starts"? I mean how would the meaning change if it modifies "stars"?

Thank you in advance!

Hi ashmit99,

It'd be great to see more opinions on this, but this type of being actually looks like the "because (they are)" being to me ("being so far away" ~ "because they are so far away"). Of course, this is not a complete clause, which is the primary reason to remove option A.

As far as the placement of some of them at tremendous speeds goes, it's better to use that phrase after the verb (but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is absolutely impossible to use it the way A does). For example:

Athletes, some of them at a very high level, compete... ← This is not very clear. Are we trying to say that some athletes are at a very high level or are we trying to say that some athletes compete at a very high level?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

(A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

(C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

(D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

(E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 775
Page: 704

The World Almanac and Book of Facts

The stars are also in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away that their motion does not change their apparent positions in the heavens sufficiently for anyone to perceive that change in a single lifetime.

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

Attachment:
03.jpg

Attachment:
04.jpg

Hello experts,

Thank you in advance!

Yes, the use of being is incorrect here.

Simplify the sentence:
Stars are in motion, yet are so far away that the change in their position is not noticeable.

The use of 'so...that' shows the reason their position change is not noticeable. Hence, the use of 'being' is incorrect. I wouldn't be ok with using it even in the sense of 'because'.

"some of them at tremendous speeds" needs to modify the motion of the stars. If it modifies 'stars', we don't know what is happening at tremendous speeds. Are the stars moving at tremendous speeds? Are they growing at tremendous speeds? Are they burning out at tremendous speeds? The use of "motion" clarifies that we are talking about the speeds at which they are moving.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
In option B, "them" can point to both the stars and the planets. Again "they" can refer to both. How to counter this issue?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AcesA wrote:
In option B, "them" can point to both the stars and the planets. Again "they" can refer to both. How to counter this issue?

Hello AcesA,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, since "some of them at tremendous speeds" is an adverbial phrase that modifies the clause "the stars are in motion", we can tell that "them" refers to "stars", and since a pronoun and its derivatives can only refer to a single referent in one sentence, we can reasonably conclude that "they" also refers to stars.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
When comparing answer choices B and D. Isn't the comparison between the motion of the planets and the stars?

I am having a hard time deciding on whether to use like or as in this case. I understand like is used to compare nouns such as planets vs stars but in this case aren't we comparing the action (or the motion) of the two?

"the stars are in motion" - I thought this is a clause and therefore we would need "as"

Any help on clarifying this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
capsguy2018 wrote:
When comparing answer choices B and D. Isn't the comparison between the motion of the planets and the stars?

I am having a hard time deciding on whether to use like or as in this case. I understand like is used to compare nouns such as planets vs stars but in this case aren't we comparing the action (or the motion) of the two?

"the stars are in motion" - I thought this is a clause and therefore we would need "as"

Take another look.

Does the sentence (B) version say "like the motion of the planets" or "like the planets are moving"?

What is compared in the (B) version of the sentence?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
capsguy2018

When we start with a comparison phrase, there will always be a clause afterward, because otherwise we wouldn't have a sentence! But that doesn't mean we are comparing the noun in the comparison phrase to the whole sentence. I can say "Like my parents, I read every day" or "As my parents do, I read every day." The idea conveyed is essentially the same in both, but on a technical level, the first is comparing me to my parents. We are alike. How? We read every day. The second is comparing actions. What is it that I do that my parents also do? Read every day.

Notice that answer choice D doesn't work in either of these two ways, because the initial modifier doesn't describe an action. It just says "As the planets." So D is just an incorrectly-phrased noun comparison. The only way that it would work would be if the stars WERE the planets, since AS before a noun can mean "in the role of." This is the usage we see in "As your attorney, I advise you not to answer that."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts