GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 08:25
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being[/u] so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

(A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being (yet introduces 2nd clause, but there is no subject for 2nd IC)

(B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are ( correct construction)

(C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet ( Although & yet both are conjunctions, Use of two conjunctions is not correct, again no subject for the 2nd IC)

(D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are( Use of as to introduce comparison is not correct)

(E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but ( There is no comma before conjunction but)

Will go with choice B, but i couldn't find the error in option E.I request somebody to please help me on this.

Thanks
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 08:43
sonusaini1 wrote:

(E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but ( There is no comma before conjunction but)

Will go with choice B, but i couldn't find the error in option E.I request somebody to please help me on this.

Thanks

"Some of them at tremendous speeds" modifies "Stars" in original sentence and that's correct. But in choice E "Some of which" modifies "planets". this will mean "Planets at tremendous speeds". wrong meaning.
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 19:01
sonusaini1 wrote:
I think what HKD1710 pointed out is probably the best way to take option E out. Here are a couple of other issues we could look at:

B. Like the planets, the stars are in motion...
E. The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion...

Using in motion twice doesn't help us in any way.

Also, because E introduces planets after stars, we're not quite sure what the information after but points to.

... the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but so far away... ← This seems to say "the planets are in motion but (are) so far away that their apparent positions in the sky..."

It's better to connect apparent positions in the sky to stars (we can see stars more easily than we can see planets).
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 18:49
Isn't 'they' ambiguous in option B? I read one comment that priority is to first check the structure. Do we have any order of checking the sentence correction. I know first is the meaning of the sentence, then the rules, and then idioms and awkwardness. But within rules also we have some orders?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 11:01
rashwiniyer wrote:
Isn't 'they' ambiguous in option B? I read one comment that priority is to first check the structure. Do we have any order of checking the sentence correction. I know first is the meaning of the sentence, then the rules, and then idioms and awkwardness. But within rules also we have some orders?

Hello rashwiniyer!

Thanks for your question! Let's take a look at option B and answer your questions:

(B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

For this option, the pronoun "they" isn't ambiguous at all. It's clearly referring back to "stars." We know this because it's the only main noun that "they" could be referring back to. It can't refer to "planets" because that's part of a modifier, and pronouns don't refer back to modifiers - they refer back to nouns or subjects of sentences.

While some people use a hierarchy when checking SC questions for the GMAT, we at EMPOWERgmat don't think that's helpful. It forces you to look for problems that may not be there, or focus on grammar concepts you're not great with! We prefer to use this method:

1. Do a quick scan over the options, and eliminate any that you can tell right away are just plain wrong.
2. Highlight/Note the major differences between each option. That's a hint of what you should focus on!
3. Start with the major differences that will eliminate 2-3 options right away, or choose the difference you're most familiar with to start. For example, if the options use two different conjunctions (let's say 2 use "but" and 3 use "and"), this is a great place to start because no matter which one is correct, you will easily remove 2-3 options quickly. Or, if you're more familiar with using pronouns, and there are major differences with the pronouns in each one, start there.
4. Eliminate options that don't work until you only have one left!

I hope this helps! I highly recommend checking out our site (http://www.empowergmat.com) for more helpful tools to beat the SC portion of the GMAT!
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2019, 11:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 45 posts ] 

The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics