Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [35]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [7]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person university team from a [#permalink]
pate13 wrote:
In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person university team from a pool of eligible candidates?

1) The number of eligible candidates is three times greater than the number of slots on the team.
2) 60% of the 20 athletes are eligible to play on the four-person university team.

Even 1st statement can tell the total eligible candidates, then why answer is not D? :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person university team from a [#permalink]
Kudos
kingjamesrules wrote:
dav90 wrote:
pate13 wrote:
In how many ways can a coach select a 4-person university team from a pool of eligible candidates?

1) The number of eligible candidates is three times greater than the number of slots on the team.
2) 60% of the 20 athletes are eligible to play on the four-person university team.

Even 1st statement can tell the total eligible candidates, then why answer is not D? :?

The 1st statement basically only states, eligible candidates > 3*(4). so the value could be greater than 12, so there is no way one can find the # of possibilities if the total eligible candidates list is unknown.

hope this answers. Kudos if this helped.

I missed '' Greater than"...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I can understand your argument if the 1st statement said: "The number of eligible candidates is greater than 3 times the number of slots on the team". But it actually says:"The number of eligible candidates IS three times greater than the number of slots on the team. I still think the answer is D. Both these statements give the same information. And that information is enough. Number of ways to choose a 4 person team from 12 candidates = 12Choose4.[/quote]

I completely agree. That's why I posted this question: to see other people's interpretation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
hb4100 wrote:

I can understand your argument if the 1st statement said: "The number of eligible candidates is greater than 3 times the number of slots on the team". But it actually says:"The number of eligible candidates IS three times greater than the number of slots on the team. I still think the answer is D. Both these statements give the same information. And that information is enough. Number of ways to choose a 4 person team from 12 candidates = 12Choose4.

A better way to rephrase statement 1 should be " The number of eligible candidates is greater than three times the number of slots on the team." The only way this statement can be interpreted is Eligible candidates > 3*4

But even without this rephrase, Eligible candidates = 3*4 ONLY if the statement mentioned it this way. But the additional "greater than" will make me suspicious of this equality.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
pate13 wrote:
I can understand your argument if the 1st statement said: "The number of eligible candidates is greater than 3 times the number of slots on the team". But it actually says:"The number of eligible candidates IS three times greater than the number of slots on the team. I still think the answer is D. Both these statements give the same information. And that information is enough. Number of ways to choose a 4 person team from 12 candidates = 12Choose4.

I completely agree. That's why I posted this question: to see other people's interpretation.[/quote]

I also think it's D if the actual question is written like this. I agree with both of you, it clearly says that it is 3 times greater and therefore the answer is D (both statements provide the same information).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-22-2015
GPA: 3.92
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
The answer is clearly D. This is a sub-600 level question that has been categorized as 700+ due to incorrect wording by the source and the confusion it has caused.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I also want to point out a flaw in the second statement, which states that 60 % of 20 athletes are eligible.

We should not assume that there are not categories as well, there can be 40 other candidates eligible who are not athletes but fall under any other abc category
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
"x is three times greater than y" -> Doesn't this mean x = 3y?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
kingjamesrules wrote:
dav90 wrote:
pate13 wrote:

The 1st statement basically only states, eligible candidates > 3*(4). so the value could be greater than 12, so there is no way one can find the # of possibilities if the total eligible candidates list is unknown.

hope this answers. Kudos if this helped.

That's not correct. "3 times greater than 4" means 4+3*4 =16

What you are saying should have been written as "more than 3 times greater than 4"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM