Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:01 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools: Booth '26
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: How much are extenuating circumstances weighted? [#permalink]
JManaghan wrote:
Hey, I'm just trying to gage whether its worth applying to EU or US schools (and if so which countries or schools might be more appropriate).

I (29M) studied law at LSE for undergrad, as an EU student. I was diagnosed with MS a couple months into my degree. I took a few months off (hospital, temporary loss of eyesight/hearing, balance, the whole 9 yards). But even when I came back my grades weren't great. I had some good coursework (75%+) but overall my grades weren't all that good.

I appealed to the school board for extenuating circumstances and was given a final degree grade of a 2:1 (US equivalent would be a 3.3 GPA ig) because they saw the good course work and took my situation into account. So my overall grade was a 2:1. But my individual courses are full of 2:2s or even 3rds because I, at times just couldn't take the exams at all (and in the UK retakes even for medical reasons are capped at 40%).

After university I joined a small size family run manufacturing company with about $15m revenue, got promoted to a management position, expanded their market to a new country and Im currently testing for a GMAT (I've been studying for a few months) and Im hoping to pull out a 740 (720 was my highest so far but I think I can push it more).

At this point Im able to completely manage the disease (monthly treatment and Im very fortunate to see a really good neurologist every few months), I have next to no symptoms and couldn't really tell anything was wrong if I didnt know. But I do have the scorch mark of my courses in my degree and a blank year after university to get healthy.

Id be more than willing to work with consultants, etc but I just wanted to know what Im looking at here or if I need a magic GMAT score, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

TLDR, studied law at LSE, diagnosed with MS, messed up my grades in my degree, got a 2:1 due to extenuating circumstances on my overall degree, basically symptom free now and want to know how much bad individual courses will hurt me

Your situation presents unique challenges but also strengths that you can leverage in your applications to both EU and US schools. Here are some points to consider:

Strengths:
Work Experience: Your managerial role in a family-run manufacturing company with successful expansion showcases leadership and business acumen.
Adversity and Resilience: Overcoming challenges due to your health condition demonstrates resilience and determination.
Education at LSE: Despite the grades, studying at LSE adds prestige and the institution's reputation to your profile.
Potential GMAT Score: Scoring in the range you mentioned (720-740) would place you well within the competitive range for many top-tier programs.
Considerations:
Explain Your Situation: In your applications, explain the extenuating circumstances affecting your grades thoroughly. Highlight your strong coursework performance and how you managed to maintain academic achievements amid health challenges.
Letters of Recommendation: Secure strong letters of recommendation from supervisors or colleagues who can vouch for your professional abilities, leadership, and resilience.
Consult with Admissions Consultants: They can help craft a compelling application strategy, focusing on your strengths, mitigating weaknesses, and highlighting your unique story.
Application Strategy:
School Selection: Research schools that value diversity, unique experiences, and emphasize holistic application reviews. Some may have a history of admitting students with non-traditional backgrounds or overcoming adversity.
EU vs. US Schools: Explore both regions; some European schools may consider extenuating circumstances more empathetically. US schools often emphasize holistic reviews, looking beyond grades to assess the overall candidate.
Interview Preparation: If you receive interview invitations, be ready to discuss your journey, emphasizing personal and professional growth, your goals, and contributions.
Focus on Personal Growth: Emphasize how your experience has shaped your character, decision-making, and aspirations.
GMAT Score: While a good GMAT score is essential, it's not the sole deciding factor. Your story, achievements, and potential contributions matter equally.
Be Authentic: Your authenticity and the clarity with which you convey your journey and aspirations can significantly impact your application's success.
Your story, resilience, and professional accomplishments are strong points. Craft a compelling narrative in your application that highlights your strengths, growth, and potential contributions to the program and beyond. Seek guidance from admissions consultants to optimize your chances. Best of luck!
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
JManaghan wrote:
Hey, I'm just trying to gage whether its worth applying to EU or US schools (and if so which countries or schools might be more appropriate).

I (29M) studied law at LSE for undergrad, as an EU student. I was diagnosed with MS a couple months into my degree. I took a few months off (hospital, temporary loss of eyesight/hearing, balance, the whole 9 yards). But even when I came back my grades weren't great. I had some good coursework (75%+) but overall my grades weren't all that good.

I appealed to the school board for extenuating circumstances and was given a final degree grade of a 2:1 (US equivalent would be a 3.3 GPA ig) because they saw the good course work and took my situation into account. So my overall grade was a 2:1. But my individual courses are full of 2:2s or even 3rds because I, at times just couldn't take the exams at all (and in the UK retakes even for medical reasons are capped at 40%).

After university I joined a small size family run manufacturing company with about $15m revenue, got promoted to a management position, expanded their market to a new country and Im currently testing for a GMAT (I've been studying for a few months) and Im hoping to pull out a 740 (720 was my highest so far but I think I can push it more).

At this point Im able to completely manage the disease (monthly treatment and Im very fortunate to see a really good neurologist every few months), I have next to no symptoms and couldn't really tell anything was wrong if I didnt know. But I do have the scorch mark of my courses in my degree and a blank year after university to get healthy.

Id be more than willing to work with consultants, etc but I just wanted to know what Im looking at here or if I need a magic GMAT score, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

TLDR, studied law at LSE, diagnosed with MS, messed up my grades in my degree, got a 2:1 due to extenuating circumstances on my overall degree, basically symptom free now and want to know how much bad individual courses will hurt me

Hey JManaghan:
Beyond things that have already been said by previous posters, there is not much I have to add, except that said in the right way, your story can be inspiring, and you can convert your weak grades to the transition into opportunities, esp assuming that the strong GMAT scores (740 would be awesome) would SHOW your calibre.
GMAT Club Bot