Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 18:21 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 18:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1204 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11885 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2835 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Which book(s) should I use? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Paddyphone
Hey guys I want to take the GMAT in May and in few weeks I want to start with my preparations. My target is at least 680-700! Which books are useful to reach this target? I´m planning to buy the official guide, but which other books would you guys recommend for an optimal preparation? I´m planning to study 8-10 weeks (full time).

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to gmatclub. :)
There are plenty of books in the market to teach concepts but official guides are best for practice.
But as Rich suggested take a mock CAT and then select books or courses for your preparation as per the need.
Manhattan gmat books are generally preferred by many. :)
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Paddyphone
Hey guys I want to take the GMAT in May and in few weeks I want to start with my preparations. My target is at least 680-700! Which books are useful to reach this target? I´m planning to buy the official guide, but which other books would you guys recommend for an optimal preparation? I´m planning to study 8-10 weeks (full time).

Thanks in advance!

OG books and Manhattan books for sure! Beyond that, as others have said, best to take a CAT first and then decide what you want to focus on.
Send PM
Hey guys, thanks for your help! Due to some issues I didn´t take the GMAT and therefore I was not active in the forum.

Now I´m planning to take the Test during spring 2018. I´m applying for an German Master programme. The deadline is on the 31st May. My plan is to start in January with my preparation and take the exam Mid-April. I bought the official guide and the Manhattan Prep books. As you recommended I will take a CAT and then post the results here.

Does this approach make sense? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Which book(s) should I use? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Paddyphone,

The logical first step is to take that initial practice CAT. When are you planning to do that? Are you going to take that CAT this month or are you going to wait until January?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4809 [0]
Given Kudos: 681
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paddyphone
Hey guys, thanks for your help! Due to some issues I didn´t take the GMAT and therefore I was not active in the forum.

Now I´m planning to take the Test during spring 2018. I´m applying for an German Master programme. The deadline is on the 31st May. My plan is to start in January with my preparation and take the exam Mid-April. I bought the official guide and the Manhattan Prep books. As you recommended I will take a CAT and then post the results here.

Does this approach make sense? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
If you're still looking for books, there's a post here that you could go through.
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Paddyphone

Thanks in advance!

I found the MGMAT Number Properties book especially useful. The SC book didn't really click with me for one reason or another. I personally found the PowerScore SC bible much easier to read.

Good luck!
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi Paddyphone,

The logical first step is to take that initial practice CAT. When are you planning to do that? Are you going to take that CAT this month or are you going to wait until January?

Rich

When would it make sense? I could take the CAT this month, but isn´t it better to wait until January?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 39091 [0]
Given Kudos: 5866
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Which book(s) should I use? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Paddyphone
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi Paddyphone,

Rich

When would it make sense? I could take the CAT this month, but isn´t it better to wait until January?

9 Months old post.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Paddyphone,

Yes, if you're planning to start your studies in January, then would make sense to take that first CAT then. However, since you're here now (in November), if you wanted to begin your studies a couple of months early, then having that extra study time could be quite helpful.

Rich
Send PM
I have gone trough the first pages of the OG and Manhattan Prep. Does it make sense to recap (2-3 hours) some basic stuff before taking the first CAT? Or would it falsify the result?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5512 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paddyphone
I have gone trough the first pages of the OG and Manhattan Prep. Does it make sense to recap (2-3 hours) some basic stuff before taking the first CAT? Or would it falsify the result?

I would NEVER prefer to do that and will try to keep my brain as fresh as possible before taking any mock and before taking the final exam.
Send PM
Thanks for your help.

I would not recap this stuff just right before the CAT. I would recap this week/next week and then go for the CAT overnext week.

To be honest I'm a bit scared, that my level of knowledge is a bit low. It´s a long time ago that I have done things like geometry etc., therefore I thought it would make sense to just recap a bit.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5512 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paddyphone
Thanks for your help.

I would not recap this stuff just right before the CAT. I would recap this week/next week and then go for the CAT overnext week.

To be honest I'm a bit scared, that my level of knowledge is a bit low. It´s a long time ago that I have done things like geometry etc., therefore I thought it would make sense to just recap a bit.

Ohh okay. So, if you revising the stuff 2 or more than 2 days before the mock, you are all good. It is actually a good practice to keep everything fresh.

All the best :)
GMAT Club Bot