GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Nov 2017, 16:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:37) correct 26% (01:54) wrong based on 1528 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 37
Page: 130

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since the early 1960’s, a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected. That regulation is about to be replaced by one that allows sale of fruit on which trace amounts of TDX residue are detected. In fact, however, the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960’s, because ______.

(A) pre-1970 techniques for detecting TDX residue could detect it only when it was present on fruit in more than the trace amounts allowed by the new regulations

(B) many more people today than in the 1960’s habitually purchase and eat fruit without making an effort to clean residues off the fruit

(C) people today do not individually consume any more pieces of fruit, on average, than did the people in the 1960’s

(D) at least a small fraction of the fruit sold each year since the early 1960’s has had on it greater levels of TDX than the regulation allows

(E) the presence of TDX on fruit in greater than trace amounts has not been shown to cause any harm even to children who eat large amounts of fruit

Originally posted by abhi758 on 13 Oct 2009, 10:49.
Last edited by hazelnut on 21 Nov 2017, 16:01, edited 5 times in total.
verbal OG Project
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2013, 19:02
shelrod007 wrote:
My analysis : TDX used prio to 1960 , regulation banned any fruit on which TDX residue could be found .

New regulation replaces the old one saying some levels are permissible to be found on frutis .

New regulation will not all more TDX on fruits than earlier .... because TDX in small amounts is not dangerous compared to large amounts ?

However what i pre thought was incorrect answer in A ? Can you explain why ?

Hi Shelrod,

It would be much better if you can share a bit more analysis. It would help you understand better because the more you write, the clear your thought process becomes.

Coming back to the question, the highlighted part in your analysis is incorrect. We are not really concerned whether some amount of TDX is dangerous or not. This concern might be behind the introduction of the new law. However, we are not concerned with this.

We are only concerned that the new regulation will not allow more TDX on fruits than earlier. So, if new regulations allowed 5 units of TDX on fruits, then earlier regulation must also have allowed this much TDX.

However, we are given that earlier laws did not allow any TDX, then how come the conclusion hold? The conclusion can hold only if in the earlier law, law enforcement agencies were not able to detect 5 units of TDX. IF they could not detect it, how would they stop it?

This is what option A says.

Does it help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 12:11
[A]
If the previous method to detect TDX was not accurate enough to detect it unless the level was say > 1%, then fruits with TDX qty of <=1% would have been sold anyway. If the new regulation allows up to 1% residue and if the new measurement techniques are accurate, then you will screen out fruits >1%, which is the same as it was in the 1960's.

Thats my reasoning ..
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2009, 12:19
Down to A and D - D seems like the trick answer as it refers only to a fraction of the fruit

Will go with A
Not allow more TDX than before because the fruit with the trace amounts of TDX was being sold anyway.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2013, 22:20
My analysis : TDX used prio to 1960 , regulation banned any fruit on which TDX residue could be found .

New regulation replaces the old one saying some levels are permissible to be found on frutis .

New regulation will not all more TDX on fruits than earlier .... because TDX in small amounts is not dangerous compared to large amounts ?

However what i pre thought was incorrect answer in A ? Can you explain why ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:18
Hello Experts,
I am kind of confused while reviewing this question.

The Last Line says that the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because...

now, Where does in the question, the author says that TDX was allowed.. Infact, it was never allowed. That is why there was a regulation that prohibits the sale of fruit.

Please explain.

Your help will be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:39
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello Experts,
I am kind of confused while reviewing this question.

The Last Line says that the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because...

now, Where does in the question, the author says that TDX was allowed.. Infact, it was never allowed. That is why there was a regulation that prohibits the sale of fruit.

Please explain.

Your help will be appreciated.

They are talking about the residue that was allowed in the 1960's.

1960's - No sale of fruits on which residue is detected
Now - Trace amounts are acceptable
BUT..
These trace amount should not be more than the residual amount detected in the 1960's

Kudos if I helped :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 09:02
Thanks igotthis for the reply.

However, can you please clarify this:

Argument says that:

Quote:
a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected.

Isn't it mentioned that amount of TDX residue should be Zero?

Quote:
the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because

This is how I interpreted the Argument:

1) You can't apply TDX because of regulation. If your fruits tested positive, you will not be allowed to sell.
2) Now you can apply TDX in limited amounts.
But
The amount of TDX cannot be more than that was allowed.

As per my analysis, if you are not allowed to apply TDX in 1960s.. then how can question stem says so..?

Where I'm going wrong. Please correct.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 10:00
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks igotthis for the reply.

However, can you please clarify this: Argument says that:
a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected.
Isn't it mentioned that amount of TDX residue should be Zero?

the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960's because

This is how I interpreted the Argument:
1) You can't apply TDX because of regulation. If your fruits tested positive, you will not be allowed to sell.
2) Now you can apply TDX in limited amounts.
But
The amount of TDX cannot be more than that was allowed.

As per my analysis, if you are not allowed to apply TDX in 1960s.. then how can question stem says so..?

Where I'm going wrong. Please correct.

Dear Himanshu,
I got your p.m. and I'm happy to respond. :-) I believe you are being a bit naive about the scientific measuring process. The physical world and its details do not stop existing at the limits of science's ability to measure. There are all kinds of things in the world that we know exist, or that we suspect probably exist, but they are beyond the current ability of science & technology to measure. There are other things, at the atomic and subatomic level, that cannot be measured, not because of the limits of technology, but because of the fundamental limits of matter and energy at that level --- that gets into Quantum Mechanics, which is well beyond the level of science you need to know for the GMAT. You do need to realize, though, that "what can be measured" and "what really is" are not necessarily identical.

In this argument, the sentence, "a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected" implies "can be detected, according to whatever technology they had in the 1960's." Now, maybe in the 1960's, they could detect TDX down to the very last molecule, so they would know exactly how much was there and could detect even the smallest portion. Or, maybe their means of measurement were more limited --- they could detect TDX in quantities down to some small number (say, a milligram, or a microgram), and beyond that level, they simply couldn't detect the TDX. We can only guess --- the prompt passage gives us no way to decide how much they could measure in the 1960s.

The OA, choice (A), suggest that the latter interpretation was correct. In other words, they had very limited abilities to measure TDX in the 1960's --- say, they could measure down to 1 microgram, but not less than that. Then, in the 1970s, say, they could measure much more precisely, down to the 0.001 microgram (i.e. the nanogram), and the trace allowed is, say, up to 1 microgram. Well, in the 1960s, if there was just less than a microgram, then they couldn't measure or detect that amount, and the fruit with that amount would be passable, while if there were just less than a microgram in the 1970s, then the scientist could detect it, but it would now be an allowable level of trace material, and the fruit still would be passable.

My friend, I strongly recommend that you start reading Scientific American. I think you need to beef up your understanding of how the experimental sciences operate. Reading a couple articles a week from Scientific American will be a good workout for the science passages you encounter on the GMAT RC, and they will give you the general background you need to make sense of science arguments on the GMAT CR.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 10:16
Im getting very confused in understanding the question itself. Can some Expert explain the argument and the solution in simple steps.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 13:53
Mechmeera wrote:
Im getting very confused in understanding the question itself. Can some Expert explain the argument and the solution in simple steps.

Dear Mechmeera,
My friend, this is problematic. This is a very well written GMAT Prep question, and the difficulty level of the text is typical of what you will see on the GMAT. If someone paraphrases the question for you, puts it all in simple terms, how exactly is this going to help you? You should not be asking for the GMAT level material to be brought down to a level you can understand. You should be entirely focused on how to bring your level of understand up to the level of the GMAT.

I will suggest a few resources. Here's a set of free GMAT idiom flashcards.
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards/idioms
Here's a blog article you may find helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/
Here's a three-month study plan for folks who want to improve their verbal:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... l-focused/

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 05:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 05:09

Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap