Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 17:09 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 17:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35904 [10]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35904 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia, but it is a [#permalink]
Kudos
A is the answer. Older is wrong so that eliminates CDE and Use of nevertheless is wrong in B leaving A as the right answer
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2336 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia, but it is a [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (A). It took me 01:13.

"capital city of Serbia" or " Serbia’s capital city"? Either should be ok.

"but" or "and"? Either can be accepted. With "but", it implies that what follows (such as its long history and wide territory) is not as widely known. With "and", it simply places two facts side by side.

"one of the oldest" or "one of the older"? I can only say that the former is much more common. It is definitely possible to use "one of + A Comparative Adjective + Noun". For example:
Dean is a tremendous innovator and one of the brighter minds in the fitness industry today.

(A) Seems totally ok.
(B) ", nevertheless" should be "and". "Nevertheless", an adverb, cannot be used to concatenate two nouns.
(C) Ultimately, (C) is removed because "one of the older" is not as common as "one of the oldest". Note, also, that "one of the oldest" is more impressive than "one of the older". In a total of 100 European cities, 99 can be called one of the "older" cities, but probably only 10 can be known as one of the "oldest” cities. Some may argue that only one city can be the oldest city out of 100. Yet language is not as exact as math.
(D) See above.
(E) See above.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35904 [1]
Send PM
Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia, but it is a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Quote:
Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia, but it is also one of the oldest cities in Europe and the largest in the territory formerly known as Yugoslavia.

A) capital city of Serbia, but it is also one of the oldest

B) capital city of Serbia, nevertheless also one of the oldest

C) Serbia’s capital city, and it is also one of the older

D) Serbia’s capital, but it is also one of the older

E) capital city of Serbia, but it is also one of the older

• Split #1: oldest vs. older

Old, older, oldest

Older is a comparative adjective that is used when two items are at issue.
Oldest is a superlative adjective that is used when more than two items are at issue.

Native speakers frequently (and, in a strict sense, incorrectly) use "older" to describe a member of a set with more than two items.
In terms of usage, err on the side of caution on the GMAT, whose writers still maintain, as do I, a distinction between the older of two and the oldest of three or more.

Are there more than two cities in Europe? Yes.
Use oldest, not older
Eliminate options C, D, and E.

• Split #2: nevertheless—fragment or usage error

The second part of option B is not actually attached to the first part and misuses nevertheless.
The sentence looks like a weird run-on.
We need a conjunction (and, but, or yet) to connect the three pieces of information about Belgrade.
Nevertheless is not a conjunction. (It can be a conjunctive adverb, though it is not so here. See below.)

Here is option B in the sentence:
→ → Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia, nevertheless also one of the oldest cities in Europe and the largest in the territory formerly known as Yugoslavia.
Nevertheless is a contrast word whose meaning is similar to however.
Nevertheless is also an adverb.

That adverb is not well suited to the goal of the sentence.
The sentence is trying to connect three pieces of adjectival information about Belgrade, a noun.

On one hand, Belgrade is (=) widely known as the capital of Serbia.
On the other hand [and, tacitly, less widely known, hence the contrast word "but"], Belgrade is also one of the oldest cities in Europe and the largest in the former Yugoslavia.

The word nevertheless cannot conjoin those adjective phrases in the way attempted in option B.
This fact might be easier to see if we replace nevertheless with its close synonym, however.
→ → Wrong: Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia , however also one of the oldest cities in Europe and the largest in the territory formerly known as Yugoslavia.
Read that sentence out loud to yourself. It should sound strange. It is strange.
A verb is missing from the second part of the sentence and the two parts of the sentence are not connected.

If you want to use nevertheless as a conjunction to join two ideas, you cannot just toss in the word nevertheless in any way you wish.

In the case that you want to make it a conjunction, nevertheless must become "conjunctive adverb" (or "connective adverb") to which are attached very specific rules:

1) it must join two fully independent clauses (the second part of option B is not a clause because it does not have a verb), and
2) it must follow a semicolon or period—not a comma.

Option B fails on both counts.
Corrected : Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia; nevertheless, Belgrade is also one of the oldest cities in Europe and the largest in the territory formerly known as Yugoslavia.
[Note the inclusion of a new subject and verb so that the second part is an independent clause.]

We might also say (again, adding the verb "is" to the second part of the sentence), correctly: Belgrade is widely known as the capital city of Serbia but nevertheless is also one of the oldest cities in Europe.
The diction in both sample sentences is strange.
We do not typically use nevertheless in this kind of "yes, but don't forget about the other part" situation.

In this prompt, we do not really want a word whose usual meaning is "in spite of the fact that."

This example of nevertheless displays more typical usage and diction:
She possessed a wretched sense of direction; nevertheless, she walked around the unfamiliar city as if she knew exactly where she were going.

Option B fails because it lacks a conjunction to join its two parts; because nevertheless is used improperly; and because the second part of the sentence is nonsensical.

Now, if you do not like any of that analysis, I have a question.
Why is option B better than option A? (Answer: it is not.)

Eliminate B.

The correct answer is A.

Comments

ElninoEffect and kaptainklutz (both of you chose great usernames), welcome to SC Butler.

I am always glad to see new people join the SC Butler crew.
All aspirants have a standing invitation to post. (Big Hint to shy people.)

These answers are all spot on.
Keep up the hard work.

generis Thank you for the warm welcome as being just a small ship in the vast ocean of knowledge, recognition boosts the Morale. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 876 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts