Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:53 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36925 [11]
Given Kudos: 5834
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Given Kudos: 340
GRE 1: Q169 V152
GPA: 3.94
WE:Research (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Between the beginning of World War II and the fall of the Soviet Union [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hey Sajjad1994, as and when possible could you share the Official explanations for Questions 4 and 6?

Thank you.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36925 [0]
Send PM
Between the beginning of World War II and the fall of the Soviet Union [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
Hey Sajjad1994, as and when possible could you share the Official explanations for Questions 4 and 6?

Thank you.

OE is not available, let me share my thought process on the questions.

Explanation

4. The author of the passage implies that the recent trend in American foreign policy away from Cold War policy

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

This is a hard question no doubt, One can answer this question by reading, understanding and considering the whole of the passage. No specific part only is enough to answer this question perfectly. This is an inference question so we also need to apply our knowledge and convert it into meaningful data keeping within the boundaries of the passage.

Lets have a look at each answer choice. Use POE.

A. points toward radical changes in the government's attitude toward the governments of non-Soviet countries such as Haiti and the Philippines.

Starts with something seemingly good but goes beyond the boundaries of the passage, the text in red above cannot be validated by the passage.

B. is the result of a temporary confusion over recent developments, and will be reversed soon.

This option is totally wrong, one there is no temporary confusion and second the passage didn't suggest that the situation will or could reverse.

C. represents the only possible response to the greatly limited resources available in the United States at present.

This is better than A and B but the language used in this choice is too extreme to consider. The word only and greatly above are quantity words which cannot stands within boundaries of the passage.

D. is not solely the result of the demise of the Soviet Union.

This option says that:

the recent trend in American foreign policy away from Cold War policy is not solely the result of the demise of the Soviet Union.

Read the first few lines of paragraph two which leads the D as true answer;

The end of the Cold War, however, along with a belated recognition of the limitations of American resources, has brought about a new scenario. No longer able to rely upon the dictates of one overriding policy, the government suddenly finds itself faced with decisions that require either a subtle reading of American ideals or the reconciliation of seemingly contradictory objectives.

E. signals the beginning of a new period of isolationism that will probably be more extreme than any previous such period in United States history.

This option again is out of context for its extreme language.

Answer: D

6. The purpose of the first paragraph of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 650-700

Explanation

This question is comparatively easy than question #4 in my opinion. What is the purpose of the first paragraph? lets have a look at each answer choice.

A. outline the roots of present Soviet-United States policy

I was unable to cross this option at once i read it. I just kept it as it is not too bad to cross so soon.

B. summarize the role of the United States in World War II

I cross this option straight away, it is totally out of the context of the question

C. cite evidence supporting an active and aggressive foreign policy for the United States

Although the foreign policy of the united states could be aggressive but do we really means it is active? Not at all, I think the "active" made this option out of the race. This option was better than A but it is wrong so i will be looking something better than the above three options.

D. provide a brief overview of post-1930s United States foreign policy

This is correct

E. refute the idea that the Soviet Union was a "new" enemy after World War II

The information in this choice is misleading and is out of the syllabus.

Answer: D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Between the beginning of World War II and the fall of the Soviet Union [#permalink]
Hey Sajjad1994, as and when possible could you also share the Official explanations for Questions 7?

Thank you.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36925 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
Hey Sajjad1994, as and when possible could you also share the Official explanations for Questions 7?

Thank you.

Explanation

7. According to the passage, which of the following is the most accurate statement regarding the coming era in United States foreign policy?

Difficulty Leve: 650

Explanation

Options B, C, D and E all are just a copy paste from passage to the question. All the data given in these options is a "Could be true" information but not the "Must be true" so they have no connection with the demand of the question. Only option A is correct. Below lines from the passage lead to this answer:

The only certainty is that the future holds difficult and potentially controversial choices for United States policy makers.

Answer: A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13951 posts