It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 43785
Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 04:02
Expert's post
13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:19) correct 19% (01:38) wrong based on 1417 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y averages 11.9 miles per gallon. If each car is driven 12,000 miles, approximately how many more gallons of gasoline will Car Y use than Car X ?

(A) 320
(B) 480
(C) 520
(D) 730
(E) 920

Practice Questions
Question: 49
Page: 158
Difficulty: 600
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 43785
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 04:02
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SOLUTION

Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y averages 11.9 miles per gallon. If each car is driven 12,000 miles, approximately how many more gallons of gasoline will Car Y use than Car X ?

(A) 320
(B) 480
(C) 520
(D) 730
(E) 920

Car X will use \(\frac{12,000}{25}=480\) gallons of gasoline for 12,000 miles;

Car Y will use \(\frac{12,000}{(\frac{119}{10})}=12,000*\frac{10}{119}\approx{12,000*\frac{10}{120}}=1,000\) gallons of gasoline for 12,000 miles.

The difference is 1,000-480=520 gallons.

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Nepal
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 04:06
2
This post received
KUDOS
For simplicity we can assum e 11.9 to b 12, so answer would b 1200/12 -1200/25

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 489
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 04:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
12000(25-12)/(25-12) = 520
Answer C
_________________

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 164
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 07:51
2
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y averages 11.9 miles per gallon. If each car is driven 12,000 miles, approximately how many more gallons of gasoline will Car Y use than Car X ?

(A) 320
(B) 480
(C) 520
(D) 730
(E) 920




X: 25 miles -------------- in --------------------- 1 gallon
12000 miles ------------ in -------------------- 12000/25 = 480 gallons

Y: 11.9 miles -------------- in --------------------- 1 gallon
12000 miles ---------------in -------------------- 12000 / 11.9 gallons
since Q is asking appox value and all options are not very close to each other, so we can assume 11.9 as 12
So, 12000/12 = 1000 gallons

Hence gasoline used by Y - by X = 1000 - 480 = 520

Hence C
_________________

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2146
Location: New York, NY
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 09:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
Just think distance = rate * time
12,000 miles = 25mpg * # gallons
12,000 miles = 11.9mpg * # gallons

Similar idea as distance = r*t

So we want to compare # of gallons used.

# gallons X = 12,000 / 25
# gallons Y = 12,000 / 11.9

12,000/11.9 - 12,000/25

~12,000/12 - 12,000/100 *4
1,000 - 120*4
= 1,000 - 480
= 520

(C)
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3472
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2012, 06:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
Using R*T=D chart we can arrive to a solution pretty quickly

R T D

car X 25 12000

Car Y 11.9 12000

here is much faster to use 12 instead of 11.9 (also the stem says us the word approximately, whenever we see this word we can rounde some value with attenton)

Car X ---------> T = 12000/25 = 480

Car Y ---------> T = 12000/12= 1000

The difference lead us to C

NOTE: here the trap answer is to think to do 25 - 12 = 13 and then 12000 / 13 = 923.07......that approximately is E
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 73
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 20:54
carcass wrote:
Using R*T=D chart we can arrive to a solution pretty quickly

R T D

car X 25 12000

Car Y 11.9 12000

here is much faster to use 12 instead of 11.9 (also the stem says us the word approximately, whenever we see this word we can rounde some value with attenton)

Car X ---------> T = 12000/25 = 480

Car Y ---------> T = 12000/12= 1000

The difference lead us to C

NOTE: here the trap answer is to think to do 25 - 12 = 13 and then 12000 / 13 = 923.07......that approximately is E


Can someone please explain why it is wrong to use 25 - 12 = 13 then use 12,000 / 13 ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
As far as the difficulty, I'd rate it as a 550.

catty2004 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Using R*T=D chart we can arrive to a solution pretty quickly

R T D

car X 25 12000

Car Y 11.9 12000

here is much faster to use 12 instead of 11.9 (also the stem says us the word approximately, whenever we see this word we can rounde some value with attenton)

Car X ---------> T = 12000/25 = 480

Car Y ---------> T = 12000/12= 1000

The difference lead us to C

NOTE: here the trap answer is to think to do 25 - 12 = 13 and then 12000 / 13 = 923.07......that approximately is E


Can someone please explain why it is wrong to use 25 - 12 = 13 then use 12,000 / 13 ?


13 is closer to 12 than 25. So your answer is approximately the number of gallons used by car Y. The MPH of Car X is 2.08 times that of Car Y. For the same distance traveled Car Y uses 2.08 times more gas than Car X.

Since we are dealing with multiples, you can not subtract at the beginning of the problem. You have to use \(Distance (in miles)/Miles per Gallon = Gallons Used\) for each car, then subtract the difference between each car to obtain the difference in Gallons used per car.
_________________

I do not beg for kudos.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 73
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:35
MzJavert wrote:
As far as the difficulty, I'd rate it as a 550.

catty2004 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Using R*T=D chart we can arrive to a solution pretty quickly

R T D

car X 25 12000

Car Y 11.9 12000

here is much faster to use 12 instead of 11.9 (also the stem says us the word approximately, whenever we see this word we can rounde some value with attenton)

Car X ---------> T = 12000/25 = 480

Car Y ---------> T = 12000/12= 1000

The difference lead us to C

NOTE: here the trap answer is to think to do 25 - 12 = 13 and then 12000 / 13 = 923.07......that approximately is E


Can someone please explain why it is wrong to use 25 - 12 = 13 then use 12,000 / 13 ?


13 is closer to 12 than 25. So your answer is approximately the number of gallons used by car Y. The MPH of Car X is 2.08 times that of Car Y. For the same distance traveled Car Y uses 2.08 times more gas than Car X.

Since we are dealing with multiples, you can not subtract at the beginning of the problem. You have to use \(Distance (in miles)/Miles per Gallon = Gallons Used\) for each car, then subtract the difference between each car to obtain the difference in Gallons used per car.


Thanks for the explanation, but im not sure why using 25 -12 = 13 is equivalent of approximating car Y's distance traveled??
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7934
Location: Pune, India
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 20:30
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
catty2004 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, but im not sure why using 25 -12 = 13 is equivalent of approximating car Y's distance traveled??


Responding to a pm:

Notice what it is given to you:

Car X runs 25 miles in 1 gallon of fuel.
Car Y runs approx 12 miles in 1 gallon of fuel (since options are not close to each other, we can easily approximate 11.9 to 12. If options are very close to each other, you need to calculate a more accurate answer)

So Car X runs an extra 13 miles in one gallon of fuel.

Now what does the term 12000/13 represent? Is it the extra fuel used by car Y? No. This will be the fuel used by a car which runs 12000 miles at an average of 13 miles in one gallon. But neither car X nor car Y does that.

Car X needs 12000/25 = 480 gallons of fuel
Car Y needs 12000/12 = 1000 gallons of fuel

What we need to do here is \(\frac{12000}{12} - \frac{12000}{25}\). I hope this is obvious to you that this is not equal to \(\frac{12000}{(25 - 12)}\)

When the denominators are different, we cannot combine the fractions. We can combine them in case the denominators are the same. Since 25 and 12 are in the denominator of the quantity we need, we cannot combine them.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 73
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 21:18
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
catty2004 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, but im not sure why using 25 -12 = 13 is equivalent of approximating car Y's distance traveled??


Responding to a pm:

Notice what it is given to you:

Car X runs 25 miles in 1 gallon of fuel.
Car Y runs approx 12 miles in 1 gallon of fuel (since options are not close to each other, we can easily approximate 11.9 to 12. If options are very close to each other, you need to calculate a more accurate answer)

So Car X runs an extra 13 miles in one gallon of fuel.

Now what does the term 12000/13 represent? Is it the extra fuel used by car Y? No. This will be the fuel used by a car which runs 12000 miles at an average of 13 miles in one gallon. But neither car X nor car Y does that.

Car X needs 12000/25 = 480 gallons of fuel
Car Y needs 12000/12 = 1000 gallons of fuel

What we need to do here is \(\frac{12000}{12} - \frac{12000}{25}\). I hope this is obvious to you that this is not equal to \(\frac{12000}{(25 - 12)}\)

When the denominators are different, we cannot combine the fractions. We can combine them in case the denominators are the same. Since 25 and 12 are in the denominator of the quantity we need, we cannot combine them.


Thank you! No longer confused!! I thought by doing 25 - 11.9 is easier than doing long division of 12k/12 - 12k/25 :P
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 216
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2014, 02:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y averages 11.9 miles per gallon. If each car is driven 12,000 miles, approximately how many more gallons of gasoline will Car Y use than Car X ?

(A) 320
(B) 480
(C) 520
(D) 730
(E) 920

Practice Questions
Question: 49
Page: 158
Difficulty: 600



Basically, for X we have approximately \(\frac{12*1000}{12*2}\) = 500 (though less than 500, because 24 < 25)

And for Y we have approximately \(\frac{12000}{12}\) = 1000 (though more than 1000, because 12 > 11.9)

So, the subtraction needs to be slightly higher than 500, so our answer is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 300
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 14:51
Wondering if this is too lazy/simple?

Instead of dividing 12000/25, I just did the approximation of 11.9 to 12 - so quick dividing 12000/12 brings you to 1000 - and just went with an extra approximation saying

12 practically half of 25 so half of 1000 = 500, and since I rounded up the nearest rounded up answer is 520.

It seems like more steps when you write it out but it seemed faster as you can just do that in your head but I'm wondering if, while I arrived at the same answer, this is safe to do a second approximation like that or if on the GMAT that might come back to bite me on problems like these.
_________________

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7934
Location: Pune, India
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 22:20
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
redfield wrote:
Wondering if this is too lazy/simple?

Instead of dividing 12000/25, I just did the approximation of 11.9 to 12 - so quick dividing 12000/12 brings you to 1000 - and just went with an extra approximation saying

12 practically half of 25 so half of 1000 = 500, and since I rounded up the nearest rounded up answer is 520.

It seems like more steps when you write it out but it seemed faster as you can just do that in your head but I'm wondering if, while I arrived at the same answer, this is safe to do a second approximation like that or if on the GMAT that might come back to bite me on problems like these.


Approximation is fine if the options are far apart (as in this case). But keep in mind that whenever you approximate, keep the direction in mind. What I mean by that is that if you are going to say that 12 is practically half of 25, so half of 1000 is 500, you need to keep in mind that 12 is "less than" half of 25 so when you divide 12000 by 25, you will get something less than half i.e. less than 500.
So when you subtract "something less than 500" from 1000, you will get "something more than 500" and that is the reason your answer is 520.

You stumbled in your logic when you said "since I rounded up...". You did round up 25 but it "divides" 12000 so the answer goes down. But thereafter, you need to subtract it from 1000 and that's why you finally "round up"!
I hope that makes sense.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 2179
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 04:19
Bunuel wrote:
Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y averages 11.9 miles per gallon. If each car is driven 12,000 miles, approximately how many more gallons of gasoline will Car Y use than Car X ?

(A) 320
(B) 480
(C) 520
(D) 730
(E) 920


To solve this problem we will need to use the formula: rate x gallons = distance, which means:

gallons = distance/rate

We need to calculate the number of gallons used by car X and the number of gallons used by car Y. Let’s start with car X.

For car X we know the following:

rate = 25

distance = 12,000

gallons = 12,000/25 = 480 gallons

For car Y we know the following:

rate = 11.9

Since we are told we can approximate, we can round up the rate of Car Y to 12.

distance = 12,000

gallons = 12,000/12 = 1,000

Thus, we can say that car Y will use approximately 1,000 – 480 = 520 more gallons of gasoline than car X.

The answer is C.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3326
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 08:29
Bunuel wrote:
Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y averages 11.9 miles per gallon. If each car is driven 12,000 miles, approximately how many more gallons of gasoline will Car Y use than Car X ?

(A) 320
(B) 480
(C) 520
(D) 730
(E) 920

Practice Questions
Question: 49
Page: 158
Difficulty: 600


X uses 12000/12 =>480 gallons
Y uses 12000/12 => 1000 gallons

So, Car Y uses 520 gallons of gasoline ( 1000 - 480 ) gallons....

Answer will be (C)

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2413
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 01:51
Here is what i did in this Question.
Its all about approximation here.

Car x => 25 miles in 1 gallon
1 mile in \(\frac{1}{25}\) gallon
12000 miles in\(\frac{1}{25} * 12000 => 480\) gallons

Car y
11.9miles in 1 gallon
1 mile in \(\frac{1}{11.9}\) gallons
12000 miles in \(\frac{1}{11.9}*12000 =>1000\) gallons (Note the approximation of 11.9 to 12)
Hence the difference is 1000-480=> 520 Gallons
Hence C

_________________


Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

Stone Cold's Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Oct 2016
Posts: 13
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 06:30
question is asking approximately how much ..
So car x = 12000/25 = 480
car y = 12000/11.9 ==> 11.9 is approx. 12 => 12000/12 = 1000

hence difference is 520.
hence c
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11019
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 11:04
Hi All,

This question is ultimately about division. We're told how many miles per gallon each car averages and the distance that each car travels, so we can determine how many gallons of gas each car uses.

Car X: 12,000/25 = 480 gallons

Car Y 12,000/(about 12) = about 1,000 gallons

Approximate difference in gallons used = 1000 - 480 = 520

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2018, 11:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Car X averages 25.0 miles per gallon of gasoline and Car Y

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.