Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:36 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6988 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join flocks of [#permalink]
AndrewN

Please evaluate my reasoning for option A.
I think option A is a weakener.
Because option A gives another reason for CJ's to migrate southward.
Basically this option says is that they don't migrate south because of lack of navigational ability but because they lay their eggs there.
Hence, this kind of works as a weakener.

Please evaluate my reasoning.
Volunteer Expert
Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join flocks of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
AndrewN

Please evaluate my reasoning for option A.
I think option A is a weakener.
Because option A gives another reason for CJ's to migrate southward.
Basically this option says is that they don't migrate south because of lack of navigational ability but because they lay their eggs there.
Hence, this kind of works as a weakener.

Please evaluate my reasoning.

Hello, krndatta. Option (A) could provide a reason for why the Croton's jays migrate southward, but we then have to presuppose that the jays know to follow the crookbeaks for the purpose of parasitic nesting, and such a consideration has little to do with how the jays migrate: whether they do or do not possess sufficient navigational abilities to make their way on their own. I saw you post a fine response in a different thread just a bit ago in which you advised someone to stick to exactly what the passage says. Here, we are aiming to strengthen the argument. If the argument is based on how the jays get from point A to point B, then we should focus on how, not why.

Perhaps that clarifies the matter. Thank you for thinking to follow up with me.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
AndrewN

Thanks for the praise.
So basically option A is giving us a "why" they migrate south? We are not concerned with the "why".
We have to focus on the "how" part.
Hence, this is a neutral statement.

Am I right?
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
AndrewN

Thanks for the praise.
So basically option A is giving us a "why" they migrate south? We are not concerned with the "why".
We have to focus on the "how" part.
Hence, this is a neutral statement.

Am I right?

Yes, it does not affect the argument. (I typically avoid one-word tags such as "irrelevant," since I think such a terse treatment of an answer choice does little to explain the thought process behind that word.)

Quote:
Clearly, therefore, Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

Ask yourself a question when you consider the answer choices. Does this information support the idea that the jays lack the navigational ability to [migrate]?

Quote:
(A) Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nests of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.

Again, this information may tell us why the jays follow the crookbeaks, but it provides no insight into the argument itself.

1) The jays lack navigational abilities, so they follow the crookbeaks to lay eggs in their nests.

—OR—

2) The jays do not lack navigational abilities, but they follow the crookbeaks anyway to lay eggs in their nests.

We cannot lean on information in the passage or answer choice to push us into a certain interpretation. Now, I agree that (C) is not the strongest strengthener, but if the jays always seem to migrate in the company of other birds, whether north or south, then the hypothesis that they are not navigationally inclined gains traction (even if it ends up being inaccurate).

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts