Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:57 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644220 [16]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V34
Re: Extensive profiling of over a thousand managers in the corporate [#permalink]
I think that B does not strengthen the conclusion drawn by researchers because we don't know what the result of these challenges is, does it bring out the competitive nature of the professionals? we don't know.

a more direct face forward option would be C. I picked C (1:26).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: Extensive profiling of over a thousand managers in the corporate [#permalink]
I think I did not understand the question completely. Can you please explain all of it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
My understanding:
Researcher’s conclusion: early age causes the likelihood of promotion
the objection to the conclusion: competitiveness causes the likelihood of promotion, but not early age.
To strengthen the objection to the conclusion, we should say competitiveness is the decisive factor. So I think C is the answer.
Where is the OE?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
I went for A because we have to strengthen the argument “However, the research's conclusion that attending graduate school at an early age improves one's likelihood of professional rise is not entirely correct.” Which means we’ve to find another reason for the professional rise. So given that those who attended graduate school before the age of 27 performed much better than the rest in quantitative and verbal ability tests, could be seen as a reason as to why these people were acquiring faster promotions than the rest.

Not sure tho!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Kudos
nityabhasin wrote:
I think I did not understand the question completely. Can you please explain all of it?

Question is asking you to strengthen the objection that was raised against the researcher's claim that professionals who graduate before 27 age have greater chance of professional rise.
To be precise you need to strengthen the point that ' these professional rise because they are competitive ' , choice A enforce this idea by implying that these people perform better than the rest because they are competitive.
have a look at choice D as well . This choice is also a strengthener but indirect . It is implying that the professional who graduate after 27 are less compitive.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644220 [1]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Extensive profiling of over a thousand managers in the corporate [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Extensive profiling of over a thousand managers in the corporate sector indicates that those who attended graduate school before the age of 27 obtained faster promotions than those who attended graduate school after the age of 27 or did not attend at all. However, the research's conclusion that attending graduate school at an early age improves one's likelihood of professional rise is not entirely correct. Those who were found to be rapidly climbing the corporate ladder are very competitive individuals and it is their competitiveness which took them to graduate school at early age.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the objection to the conclusion drawn by the researchers?

A. In another similar study, it was found that those who attended graduate school before the age of 27 performed much better than the rest in quantitative and verbal ability tests.

B. The professionals having the advantage of early graduate education faced greater challenges in competing against older professionals.

C. When people of similar competitive levels attend graduate school, they attain similar degree of improvement in leadership and interpersonal skills, irrespective of age.

D. Those who attended graduate school after the age of 27 took longer to complete their education.

E. A corporate professional is generally not deemed competitive to lead an organization without having attained a graduate degree.

This is a CR Butler Question

Experts' Global Video Explanation:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Extensive profiling of over a thousand managers in the corporate sector indicates that those who attended graduate school before the age of 27 obtained faster promotions than those who attended graduate school after the age of 27 or did not attend at all. However, the research's conclusion that attending graduate school at an early age improves one's likelihood of professional rise is not entirely correct. Those who were found to be rapidly climbing the corporate ladder are very competitive individuals and it is their competitiveness which took them to graduate school at early age.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the objection to the conclusion drawn by the researchers?

A. In another similar study, it was found that those who attended graduate school before the age of 27 performed much better than the rest in quantitative and verbal ability tests.

B. The professionals having the advantage of early graduate education faced greater challenges in competing against older professionals.

C. When people of similar competitive levels attend graduate school, they attain similar degree of improvement in leadership and interpersonal skills, irrespective of age.

D. Those who attended graduate school after the age of 27 took longer to complete their education.

E. A corporate professional is generally not deemed competitive to lead an organization without having attained a graduate degree.

This is a CR Butler Question

This Month's Butler Questions are Sponsored and Provided by Experts' Global
for SC Butler and CR Butler

Experts Global

Attachments

File comment: Still humans are better I’m afraid
DF74A7DC-4EE5-40E1-AF9B-2F229F60FA5E.png
DF74A7DC-4EE5-40E1-AF9B-2F229F60FA5E.png [ 806.34 KiB | Viewed 3632 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [1]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Kudos
KarishmaB , your help here. Never in life I'll mark A over C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
­karishma can you explain this question please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
A can never be right answer. If I have to object the conclusion I can do it in two ways:
1. Put forward something that promotes the notion that it was competitiveness in the guys what made them rose up the ladder.

Or

2. Argue against the fact that age had anything to do with the growth of the guys.

Now option A only says they performed well in some tests. Consider this situation. "If you perform well in VA and QA in GMAT , does it make you competitive in the professional world too?" No. So A can't be an strengthener.

Why I chose B

It's because B implies that if anything younger age was doing to the guys it was creating more difficulty only when they had to compete against the older guys. So younger age could never help them grow professionally. If anything it only acted against them.Thats why it was not due to young age that they rose up the ladder.

I will go for B for sure.

Discussions are welcomed.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
PS31, I don't think (B) could be a correct answer here as it attempts to change what we know (the premise).

We are already told that they obtained faster promotions, so it would not really matter if they 'faced challenges' in competing...

Further, in competing... but what's the competition? Who can do more push-ups or who's, indeed, better at work? We're not told about the nature of the competition.

I chose (C) but also had problems with it, namely I would need to create a story in my mind that the leadership and interpersonal skills levels are directly related to faster promotions and that THE YOUNGER GUYS WOULD HAVE A HIGHER LEVEL IN THE FIRST PLACE. Which I believe could go too far...

I think it creates ground for another objection, however does not directly strengthen the presented.

Then, indeed, (A) would be the only one strengthening the objection directly, however we need to rely on a comparison that competitiveness = stronger performance in ability tests.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts