Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 08:47 It is currently 02 May 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q45 V49
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72973 [1]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT 750 (Q45/V49/IR7) - What should I do? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jeanjoaqim wrote:
Did my first GMAT test today and scored 750 (Q45 / V49 / IR7).

I am overall very happy with my score, but I am wondering whether the "low" Quant score (~50 percentile) is something I should be worried about?

Hi jeanjoaqim,

As the other forum members on this thread have pointed out, you can take the GMAT again if you want, but you don't need to. 750 is an amazing score, and most schools shouldn't have a problem with a Q45 (you can always reach out to your target schools and check with them).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q45 V49
Send PM
GMAT 750 (Q45/V49/IR7) - What should I do? [#permalink]
bb GmatKnightTutor AjiteshArun

Thanks guys for the replies, appreciate the directness and honesty!

I guess it does not make much sense as you pointed out it would still probably only get me a ~760 score if I were to pump it up only a little bit and I don't have the time to go get that 50ish score on Quant. (I'm not an Indian IT guy, however feeder firm consultant so quite over-represented still despite not coming from the US haha...)

Just generally, when you guys talk about reaching out to schools to check with them - who are you referring to I should talk to? Someone from the actual school or to alumni?

Appreciate the help!

/JJ
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jeanjoaqim

Everything written so far makes sense, but it all comes down to one thing: Why was your quant score a 45 when you clearly demonstrated great reasoning skills with your verbal score?

Getting to the bottom of that is the key to deciding whether to retake the GMAT. I've sent you a PM with some detailed suggestions.

With regard to your question about who to ask about the importance of your quant score, you should reach out to the admissions offices of your target schools. They'll be able to guide you.

Best

Arvind

Lead GMAT Performance Coach
RetaketheGMAT
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72973 [0]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
jeanjoaqim wrote:
bb GmatKnightTutor AjiteshArun

Thanks guys for the replies, appreciate the directness and honesty!

I guess it does not make much sense as you pointed out it would still probably only get me a ~760 score if I were to pump it up only a little bit and I don't have the time to go get that 50ish score on Quant. (I'm not an Indian IT guy, however feeder firm consultant so quite over-represented still despite not coming from the US haha...)

Just generally, when you guys talk about reaching out to schools to check with them - who are you referring to I should talk to? Someone from the actual school or to alumni?

Appreciate the help!

/JJ

I don't think reaching out to schools is going to be productive. They don't do evaluations. They will tell you the most generic thing they can (rightfully so). They will tell you can have any score and that you should apply and then they will tell you.... so there is no value in bugging them really. It will be a frustrating and hopeless experience.

Better off you can try admissions consultants and get some free consults (don't abuse it though - don't ask 3 consultants exactly the same question at the same time on the forums). Pace yourself and engage one to get some answers and then you can cross check with another with slightly different questions. I suggest getting a phone call... but if you are applying in R2, they may not engage; it is so close to deadlines... they may be too busy but that could be your option.

Another option if you want to get your answers, you can check with some of your friends/people from your country who are students to see what they think about your application (not just your score). They should have some time over holidays.
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way, if it's not a big inconvenience, there's no harm it taking the GMAT again to see if you have a better day on quant. Even if your verbal score drops, you might end up with a more balanced score
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
jeanjoaqim wrote:
Hi all,

Did my first GMAT test today and scored 750 (Q45 / V49 / IR7).

I am overall very happy with my score, but I am wondering whether the "low" Quant score (~50 percentile) is something I should be worried about?

I am a non-native English speaker and kind of outdid myself on the Verbal section, but clearly underperformed on Quant and based on practice tests should be able to pump my Quant up to ~47/48.
Will the top business schools be scared of my low Quant school or should I rather now be spending time on my applications etc?

For context I kind of have other aspects of my profile supporting sufficient Quant skills for business school, but heard an admissions consultant commenting on the importance of a strong Quant score to prove analytical aptitude.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks,
JJ

Hey jeanjoaqim,

Congratulations on scoring 750 on your GMAT! That is incredible and highly impressive.

Your "low" Quant score (Q45) might be slightly low but remember that GMAT is just 25% of your whole application and rest depends on your work experience, extracurriculars, and CSR activities, etc. Schools look for holistic profiles so don’t worry.

However, your exceptional Verbal score (V49) and overall high GMAT score demonstrate strong capabilities. If your application can showcase your quantitative skills through your professional experience or academic background, it might offset concerns about the Quant score.

Your profile is good so prepare a strong overall application, focusing on crafting compelling essays and securing robust recommendations might be a better use of your time.

For more tailored advice on your application strategy, including essay insights and school selection, feel free to reach out for a personalized discussion.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22120 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jeanjoaqim,

I think you should be fine, but out of curiosity, what were you scoring on your practice exams?
GMAT Club Bot