Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:02 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,   Long Passage,   Science,                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
WE:Marketing (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Homeostasis, an animals maintenance of certain internal variables wit [#permalink]
Kindly explain the answer to question number 3
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36925 [0]
Given Kudos: 5834
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Homeostasis, an animals maintenance of certain internal variables wit [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aksh123456123456 wrote:
Kindly explain the answer to question number 3

Explained in the post in the link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/homeostasis- ... l#p2969001

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Q1)Which of the following most accurately states the purpose of the passage?

The passage explains homeostasis (maintenance of certain internal variables within an acceptable range) in the first paragraph and then goes on to explain, in the subsequent paragraphs, how different organisms cope to maintain Homeostasis. So option C gives us the entire purpose of the passage.

Q2) It can be inferred from the passage that some mechanisms that regulate internal body temperature, like sweating and panting, can lead to which of the following?

The answer to this can be inferred from the 2nd paragraph; lines(these rats stay in burrows during the hot part of the day, thus avoiding loss of fluid through panting or sweating, which are regulatory mechanisms for maintaining internal body temperature by evaporative cooling).
Hence answer option B.

Q3) It can be inferred from the passage that the author characterizes the camel’s kidney as “entirely unexceptional” (line 26) primarily to emphasize that it

In 2nd paragraph,last line (desert rats’ kidneys can excrete a urine having twice as high a salt content as seawater), the author talks about how rat's kidneys are exceptional in helping them maintain homeostasis. The author hence mentions the kidney of camels to be unexceptional as it does not help them in coping with the water loss. Hence answer option B.
Hope it is helpful!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13951 posts