It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:08

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a dat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 124306 [0], given: 12077

How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a dat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 04:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:42) correct 20% (00:52) wrong based on 215 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Kudos [?]: 124306 [0], given: 12077

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a dat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 06:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a date with 3 boys (Peter, Kyle, Sam)?

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 8

Any one girl can go with 3 boys.
2nd girl can go with remaining 2 boys
and 3rd girl can go with remaining 1 boy

3! i.e 6 (D) is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 69

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a dat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 11:23
First girl can on a date with 3 boys
Second girl can on a date with 2 boys
Third girl can go on a date with 1 boy
Number of possible ways = 3*2*1
=6
Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 71

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2287 [1], given: 355

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a date with 3 boys (Peter, Kyle, Sam)?

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 8

Take the task of arranging dates and break it into stages.

Stage 1: Select a date for Rebecca
There are 3 boys to choose from. So, we can complete stage 1 in 3 ways

Stage 2: Select a date for Kate
There are 2 remaining boys to choose from. So, we can complete stage 2 in 2 ways

Stage 3: Select a date for Ashley
There is 1 remaining boy to choose from. So, we can complete stage 3 in 1 way

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP), we can complete all 3 stages (and thus arrange dates for all 3 women) in (3)(2)(1) ways (= 6 ways)

Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Note: the FCP can be used to solve the MAJORITY of counting questions on the GMAT. For more information about the FCP, watch this video:

You can also watch a demonstration of the FCP in action here:

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Kudos [?]: 2287 [1], given: 355

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 22:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 497

How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a dat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 8
Bunuel , in the phrasing of the question, what should tell me that I should not use 3*3?

I interpreted the question to be asking: how many ways can each girl go on a date with each boy, i.e., how many ways can we make pairs of girl-with-boy?

Let girls = A, B, and C. Let boys = 1, 2, and 3. We can have

A <-> 1 | A <-> 2 | A <-> 3
B <-> 2 | B <-> 3 | B <-> 1
C <-> 3 | C <-> 1 | C <-> 2

That's 9. Not an answer choice. I chose 6 because it's a multiple of 2 and 3. I got lucky.

So I'm confused: what's mistaken about my assumptions and/or my method? What should have signaled me that the question meant "If one girl gets to pick first on one night . . ."?

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 497

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 128

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
genxer123 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 8
Bunuel , in the phrasing of the question, what should tell me that I should not use 3*3?

I interpreted the question to be asking: how many ways can each girl go on a date with each boy, i.e., how many ways can we make pairs of girl-with-boy?

Let girls = A, B, and C. Let boys = 1, 2, and 3. We can have

A <-> 1 | A <-> 2 | A <-> 3
B <-> 2 | B <-> 3 | B <-> 1
C <-> 3 | C <-> 1 | C <-> 2

That's 9. Not an answer choice. I chose 6 because it's a multiple of 2 and 3. I got lucky.

So I'm confused: what's mistaken about my assumptions and/or my method? What should have signaled me that the question meant "If one girl gets to pick first on one night . . ."?

Someone, please answer this. even I had to read the question two times just to cross-check.
Although this question favors 6 and I completely get it why, but I think a slight word play in question can actually create 9 the right answer.
Would love to see how both the questions look like side by side.

Any experts hear this?

A KUDO = A Thank-you. If this post helped you, please send a KUDO across.

YOU CAN LEARN ANYTHING!
MY GMAT BLOG ---> https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-fitness-mat-some-music-few-books-and-the-gmat-245808.html

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 128

Re: How many possible ways can 3 girls (Rebecca, Kate, Ashley) go on a dat   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2017, 13:54