Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 02:19 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665569 [9]
Given Kudos: 87509
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665569 [3]
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [3]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q87 V80 DI80
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 394
Send PM
Re: If a, b, and c are different constants, how many different numbers y [#permalink]
The key is to recognize that when the question says "constants" it means that there is only one set of constants, not an infinite number of them.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: If a, b, and c are different constants, how many different numbers y [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey, I'm unable to understand the answer. Ideally, if a=0, won't the whole equation collapse as it will make b=c, which is not possible because they are different constants. So shouldn't we eliminate a=0 case as a whole?
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
­Since the equasion is valid a*y + b = C, isn' t it assumed that a is not equal to zero, since b and c are different and hence the answer being 1.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665569 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
anchal02kansal
Hey, I'm unable to understand the answer. Ideally, if a=0, won't the whole equation collapse as it will make b=c, which is not possible because they are different constants. So shouldn't we eliminate a=0 case as a whole?
­
aniruddharora
­Since the equasion is valid a*y + b = C, isn' t it assumed that a is not equal to zero, since b and c are different and hence the answer being 1.
Imagine a game where a, b, and c stand for some constants, but we don't know which ones. Next, a host writes an equation: ay + b = c and asks how many values of y can satisfy this equation. As shown in the solution, if a = 0, then there is no such y for ay + b = c to hold. If a is not 0, then there is one value of y such that a*y + b = c holds.­
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Got it , I assumed that the equation must be satisfied not like for what value of y will it be satisfied

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
95944 posts