GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

If n is a nonzero integer, is xn < 1?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
If n is a nonzero integer, is xn < 1?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 19:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:17) correct 26% (00:56) wrong based on 195 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If n is a nonzero integer, is x^n < 1?

(1) x > 1

(2) n > 0

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Manager
Manager
Re: If n is a nonzero integer, is xn < 1?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 19:58
lastshot wrote:

(1) x > 1

(2) n > 0

Question is from Mgmat test, As per OA provided by MGMAT , I was wrong !!

Can someone please share with me the process by which you got right answer as i am not satisfied with MGMAT explaination

Regards
LS

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 02:39

(1) x > 1. If x = 2 and n = 1, then the answer is NO but if x = 2 and n = -1, then the answer is YES.

(2) n > 0. If x = 2 and n = 1, then the answer is NO but if x = 1/2 and n = 1, then the answer is YES.

(1)+(2) x is greater than 1 and n is a positive number: any number greater than 1 in positive power is greater than 1. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 03:51
Bunuel wrote:

(1) x > 1. If x = 2 and n = 1, then the answer is NO but if x = 2 and n = -1
, then the answer is YES.

(2) n > 0. If x = 2 and n = 1, then the answer is NO but if x = 1/2 and n = 1, then the answer is YES.

(1)+(2) x is greater than 1 and n is a positive number: any number greater than 1 in positive power is greater than 1. Sufficient.

I have just 1 query, why you have consider x as an integer only because if you assume any value non integer then ans will be no

Shade your thoughts

Regards
Ls

Posted from my mobile device

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 06:19
lastshot wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I have just 1 query, why you have consider x as an integer only because if you assume any value non integer then ans will be no

Shade your thoughts

Regards
Ls

Any number, not necessarily an integer, greater than 1 in positive power is greater than 1. Consider this: any number greater than 1 multiplied by itself n times (n > 0) must be greater than 1.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 08:35
Bunuel wrote:
lastshot wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Share your thoughts

Regards
Ls

Any number, not necessarily an integer, greater than 1 in positive power is greater than 1. Consider this: any number greater than 1 multiplied by itself n times (n > 0) must be greater than 1.

Thanks for reply !!!

I am doing dumbest of the mistake, my exam is on 28th of this month, & suddenly i am facing major problem with DS < Accuracy plummet to 55 % that too for easy & medium ..so you can imagine about hard >

Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q163 V159
GPA: 3.67
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 09:47
You are able to eliminate the answers with x as an integers to begin with. If however, you were getting 1) or 2) as the answer with x as integer only, to confirm the answer further, you would have to consider x as a rational number also.

All the Best
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book How To Get Into A Top Business School here http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to-get-into-a-top-business-school-ebook.php

Check out our new free e-book Top Business Schools For Different Concentrations here http://www.interviewbay.com/ebooks.php

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 04:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If n is a nonzero integer, is xn < 1? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jan 2018, 04:27

If n is a nonzero integer, is xn < 1?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap