Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:58 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [26]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644160 [17]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644160 [1]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Re: In the former Soviet Union, rubles came in denominations of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ssriva2 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the former Soviet Union, rubles came in denominations of 1, 3, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100. Boris and Natasha are at the bank to change an enormous pile of 50 and 100 ruble notes, but the teller is out of 10s and is forced to give them their change in nothing but 1, 3, 5, and 25 ruble notes. Did the teller give Boris and Natasha the correct change?

Notice that since Boris and Natasha have a pile of 50 and 100 ruble notes, then the entire amount is even: 50x + 100y = even + even = even..

Say the teller gave them a, b, c, and d 1, 3, 5, and 25 ruble notes, respectively. So, a + 3b + 5c + 25d must be even. This could happen in the following cases:

(i) all four terms are even, which would mean that each a, b, c, and d must be even. In this case the sum of the notes = a + b + c + d = even + even + even + even = even.
(ii) two terms are even and the remaining two terms are odd, which would mean that two out of a, b, c, and d are even and the remaining two are odd. In this case the sum of the notes = a + b + c + d = even + even + odd + odd = even.
(iii) all four terms are odd, which would mean that each a, b, c, and d must be odd. In this case the sum of the notes = a + b + c + d = odd + odd + odd + odd = even.

(1) The teller gave Boris and Natasha 2013 notes. The sum of the notes is odd, but we know that it must be even. So, something went wrong, the teller did not give Boris and Natasha the correct change. Sufficient.

(2) The teller did not give Boris and Natasha any 3 ruble notes. b = 0 = even. Clearly insufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,
I did not understand.Why we have not taken this scenario;
E+E+E+O=ODD?

a + 3b + 5c + 25d must be even. Why should we consider the case when it's odd?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Great question. Thanks Bunnel for your explanation!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
This question is very smart. Seems like an obvious E, and even if you more or less know that you are getting fooled, you still pick E. It takes experience just seeing what concepts to use here. Diophantine? LCM? Number properties?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts