Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Marife: That was a bad movie because, by not providing viewers with [#permalink]
Saasingh wrote:
Clearly between C and E.

(C) whether the movie should be classified as a murder mystery
Yes, I think this is the correct one. First person clearly states that it is a requirement of murder mysteries that viewers be given clues to solve the mysteries. This first person thinks that the movie is indeed a murder mystery.

Second person, on the other hand, states that the filmmaker wanted to keep the murder thing as a side thing and his primary focus was something else. Clearly, in the second person's opinion, the movie is not a murder mystery as murder is a side element in the story.

(E) whether the filmmaker wanted viewers to be able to solve the murder
Wrong in my opinion.
First person simply states what are pre-requisites of a murder mystery. She never talks or implies that filmmaker "wanted" the viewers to be able to solve the mystery. So she cannot disagree with the second person on this topic.
Second person, on other hand, clearly believes that filmmaker does not want to divert any attention to murder stuff, and that murder element is just a secondary thing.

I welcome any comments on my reasoning :)

Appreciate Kudos if it helps xD

Regards,
Saakhi

Hi Saakshi,

C couldn't be the answer, I am just going with your reasoning of C.

"First-person clearly states that it is a requirement of murder mysteries that viewers be given clues to solve the mysteries. This first-person thinks that the movie is indeed a murder mystery."

So it means that First-person states that a movie cannot be classified as a Murder mystery. Clear logic.

But for 2nd person, he states that the Filmmaker wants us to focus on something else rather than the murder mystery. According to the second person, the movie could be a murder mystery/ couldn't be a murder mystery, it didn't tell us anything. In fact, if you can still assume for 2nd person as well that he didn't regard this movie as a murder mystery.

So both 1st and 2nd person basically just agree on C. But we have to find on which they disagree.

Thanks & Regards
Siddharth
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [2]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Marife: That was a bad movie because, by not providing viewers with [#permalink]
Kudos
sid0791 wrote:
Saasingh wrote:
Clearly between C and E.

(C) whether the movie should be classified as a murder mystery
Yes, I think this is the correct one. First person clearly states that it is a requirement of murder mysteries that viewers be given clues to solve the mysteries. This first person thinks that the movie is indeed a murder mystery.

Second person, on the other hand, states that the filmmaker wanted to keep the murder thing as a side thing and his primary focus was something else. Clearly, in the second person's opinion, the movie is not a murder mystery as murder is a side element in the story.

(E) whether the filmmaker wanted viewers to be able to solve the murder
Wrong in my opinion.
First person simply states what are pre-requisites of a murder mystery. She never talks or implies that filmmaker "wanted" the viewers to be able to solve the mystery. So she cannot disagree with the second person on this topic.
Second person, on other hand, clearly believes that filmmaker does not want to divert any attention to murder stuff, and that murder element is just a secondary thing.

I welcome any comments on my reasoning :)

Appreciate Kudos if it helps xD

Regards,
Saakhi

Hi Saakshi,

C couldn't be the answer, I am just going with your reasoning of C.

"First-person clearly states that it is a requirement of murder mysteries that viewers be given clues to solve the mysteries. This first-person thinks that the movie is indeed a murder mystery."

So it means that First-person states that a movie cannot be classified as a Murder mystery. Clear logic.

But for 2nd person, he states that the Filmmaker wants us to focus on something else rather than the murder mystery. According to the second person, the movie could be a murder mystery/ couldn't be a murder mystery, it didn't tell us anything. In fact, if you can still assume for 2nd person as well that he didn't regard this movie as a murder mystery.

So both 1st and 2nd person basically just agree on C. But we have to find on which they disagree.

Thanks & Regards
Siddharth

Hey Siddharth,

I disagree with this inference in your reasoning: So it means that First-person states that a movie cannot be classified as a Murder mystery. Clear logic.

I actually think that the first person agrees that the movie is indeed a murder mystery. Here's why :

Marife: That was a bad movie because, by not providing viewers with all the information necessary for solving the murder, it violated a requirement of murder mysteries.

This first person clearly states that the movie is a bad movie because it doesn't fulfill the requirement of murder mysteries. That's only possible to say when she believes that movie WAS a murder mystery.

Imagine this : I say Anabelle is a bad movie as it didn't scare me. Scaring is a pre-requisite of a horror movie. And in my opinion it's a bad film as it didn't scare me.
Am I not implicitly assuming that Anabelle is a horror film ?

So indeed first person believes that movie was murder mystery. Just that it was a "bad" murder mystery.
And second person believes murder mystery is a side element, so it is not a murder mystery.

That's how they disagree.

Also, option E is definitely wrong. First person nowhere implicitly or explicitly states what the filmmaker wants.

Regards,
Saakhi Singh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Saasingh
I agree with you.
Both persons disagree on the movie genre
First guy thinks it is a murder mystery story.
2nd guy thinks this is a movie on developing complex relationship between 2 protagonists and murder mystery is used as plot to narrate the main story

my answer is also C
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
for me between A or C.
Maybe C...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Don't know if I am fully satisfied with C.

Nguyen doesn't actually disagree about the movie's classification per se...he/she simply says that the murder shouldn't be the defining characteristic...it's a backdrop to the complex relationship. But saying something is secondary IS NOT the same as denying what the proper classification is.

E seems appropriate because we can infer in both cases that there is a disagreement about the intent behind the movie.

Tricky...what do others think?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts