GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Novelists cannot become great as long as they remain in academia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Novelists cannot become great as long as they remain in academia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 07:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:00) correct 35% (02:09) wrong based on 232 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Novelists cannot become great as long as they remain in academia. Powers of observation and analysis, which schools successfully hone, are useful to the novelist, but an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life can be obtained only by the kind of immersion in everyday life that is precluded by being an academic.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Novelists require some impartiality to get an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life
(B) No great novelist lacks powers of observation and analysis
(C) Participation in life, interspersed with impartial observation of life, makes novelists great
(D) Novelists cannot be great without an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life
(E) Knowledge of the emotions of everyday life cannot be acquired by merely observing and analyzing life

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 17:16
Novelists cannot become great as long as they remain in academia. Powers of observation and analysis, which schools successfully hone, are useful to the novelist, but an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life can be obtained only by the kind of immersion in everyday life that is precluded by being an academic.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Novelists require some impartiality to get an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life
Irrelevant. No mention of impartiality .
(B) No great novelist lacks powers of observation and analysis
The emphasis is on 'intuitive grasp on life' and not on 'powers of observation and analysis".
The flow is from "intuitive grasp on life that can be obtained in everyday life" to " novelist cant become great if they remain in academia".
The conclusion is " novelist cant become great if they remain in academia". This conclusion can not follow from "No great novelist lacks powers of observation and analysis".
If we negate this option it becomes "Some novelists lack powers of observation and analysis." Still the conclusion i.e "novelist cant become great if they remain in academia" follows.
So option B cant be the assumption.
(C) Participation in life, interspersed with impartial observation of life, makes novelists great

No mention of impartial observation of life". Irrelevant.
(D) Novelists cannot be great without an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life

Negate this option it becomes "novelists can become great without an intuitive grasp of the emotions of everyday life".
Intuitive grasp of emotions cant be obtained in academia. But novelists can still become great. The conclusion i.e "novelist cant become great if they remain in academia" can not follow.
(E) Knowledge of the emotions of everyday life cannot be acquired by merely observing and analyzing life

No mention of "merely observing and analyzing life". The passage talked about "Powers of observation and analysis,".
So option E is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 21:07
nightblade354 can you please indicate whether or not my reasoning is correct?

This is an assumption question, and it has some conditional reasoning, i.e. the conclusion says that "if academia, then not great novelist". The question can be answered using the conditional reasoning.

In our case, the author says that "grasp of emotional life requires immersion, and academia precludes that", so that academia essentially prevents one from having the grasp of emotional life (EL), i.e. "academia = no grasp of EL"

Answer choice D says that "if no grasp of EL, then not great novelist". Since "academia = no grasp of EL", we see that this is a correct answer choice because it repeats the conclusion.

Frankly, it took me quite a while to figure out the logics (sufficient and necessary conditions). I am not very effective at using the conditional reasoning technique, but I felt the question is excellent and it tests the method. Would you share any advice how to become quicker at dissecting the prompt to solve similar problems? Thank you in advance.

P.S. I learned the Conditional Reasoning method in PowerScore CR Bible.
GMAT Club Bot
Novelists cannot become great as long as they remain in academia   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2019, 21:07

Novelists cannot become great as long as they remain in academia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics