Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:53 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Re: Skype interview attire? [#permalink]
Kudos
cristinaaramayo wrote:
sorry, what is 4 in hand?

It is the only knot that is at once degage and competent.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/TieKnots/4inhand.tem
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
@BabyBeagle -- I had to google Macclesfield print, pomade and degage... and then I looked at your gmat score. ..V50 .. :clap: :clap:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
BabyBeagle wrote:
Navy jacket, macclesfield print on navy ground tie, 4 in hand, white shirt with spread collar. Hair should be short, parted, with pomade. No pants. Puma sweat socks.

hilarious! I recently did a skype interview and the school specifically mentioned business formal in the interview email.

No pants is a must though. Preferably go out and buy a pair of polka dot boxers as well (extra large print).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do you look directly at the camera so you get eye contact or do you look at the person's image on your monitor (thereby having no eye contact)?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Booth '13 (M)
Send PM
cristinaaramayo wrote:
Do you look directly at the camera so you get eye contact or do you look at the person's image on your monitor (thereby having no eye contact)?

maybe a combination of both? I think that you are "over-thinking" too much...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
i had a skype interview....normal suit for sure but no pants needed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
chinobaeza wrote:
cristinaaramayo wrote:

maybe a combination of both? I think that you are "over-thinking" too much...

Just put your webcam and the Skype image together as close as possible. That way you shouldn't have to think about it and it will still be "eye contact".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
 Q48  V50
Send PM
sanlitun wrote:
@BabyBeagle -- I had to google Macclesfield print, pomade and degage... and then I looked at your gmat score. ..V50 .. :clap: :clap:

lol. I think Macclesfield's are awesome because they are about as inoffensive as a tie can get. You can never go wrong with one.

I like what Sandy Kreisberg says in that P&Qs cleavage article:

“I think the real advice about dress is, ‘Don’t make a statement.’ Just wear something that is comfortable and respects the situation, and does not draw attention to itself..."

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3089 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
While we are on the subject of cool words to utilize in daily conversation, I find that the use of de rigueur, is well, de rigueur.

Degage is a new one to me, I will place it in my next presentation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Penn State (Admit and Matriculating), Simon (R3-WL), Rady (R2-Admit w/$), Merage (R2-Ding w/o Interview), Rutgers (R2-Admit)
 Q45  V35
WE 1: Photo USA
WE 2: ASUS Computer International
WE 3: Cavium Networks
Send PM
haha. same with everyone else. Suit on top, basketball shorts on the bottom
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
i had a skype interview....normal suit for sure but no pants needed!

Hi guys,
Trying to be a good GMAT Club citizen and not spam my stuff, but I was doing a blog post on Skype interviews and found this thread (and thought it hit the nail on the head) so gave it a shout-out out here

https://masteradmissions.com/wp/2012/02/15/when-your-interview-is-on-skype/

MBA Podcaster also reposted it here

https://mbapodcaster.com/2012/02/16/skype/

Hope you all realize that the pic of the Jimmy-Wales-wannabe guy in the picture is *not* my recommendation for the MBA interview look.

Have fun with it!

Betsy Massar

Originally posted by MasterAdmissions on 16 Feb 2012, 10:18.
Last edited by MasterAdmissions on 16 Feb 2012, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
As Barney Stinson would say, "Suit Up!"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
I interviewed with a Shirt on top (no jacket or suit or tie), and shorts below :)

Interview went well and even got admitted :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
The mullet rule applies here (business in the front, party in the back).
In this case, business on top, party on the bottom.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I just want to add something - pay attention not only to your cloths, but also to what's behind you and can be seen on camera... your room, your wall...
It can say a lot about you and help make a good or bad first impression.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
As most have advised, attire on top should be what you would wear when you show up for an interview in person.

As you would in a live interview, make friendly eye-contact, and avoid fidgeting, such as rubbing your hands or fixing your hair (these are common mistakes).

Also, as mentioned above, pay attention to what the interviewer will se in his screen, clean up to avoid clothes hanging, or clutter behind you.

As a habit, do test calls before the call to check connections, camera angles, and call quality.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
A recent blog post of mine that might help

How to Handle a Video Interview for Business School
Congratulations! You’ve made it to the interview stage for some of your top business school choices. Now it’s time to interview, that’s the good news. The bad news is for many students they might have difficulty in scheduling those interviews. Imagine you have been asked to interview at four or more schools, all in different corners of the world. Imagine how expensive it will be to get to all of those schools to interview in person. Most schools offer local alumni interviewers, but what if there are none in your area? Or, the alumni are unresponsive?
Thankfully, many schools have made a positive step and made it easier for applicants to conduct their interview over video conferencing. I’m hearing from more and more business school applicants that the admissions committee is giving them this opportunity and they are wondering if it is a good idea.
Now it is obviously important to make a visit to campus at some point before enrolling. You’ll need to get a feel for the campus, meet classmates and check out places to live. But, if you can’t make it there, a video interview can be a nice alternative. Also, schools will not mark you down for choosing the video option. So now that you have decided on a video interview, what are some tips to make sure it goes well?
Confirm Which Video Service
Skype? Facetime? Hangouts? Go to Meeting? The amount of video chat interfaces have exploded in the last few years. You might be an Apple user who is used to Facetime, but your interviewer might be on Android. When receiving logistics, make sure the brand of software is clear. It should go without saying that you should use the service the school suggests.
Test, Test, Test
Especially if you are using a new service, make sure you are familiar with how to place and receive a call. That you know how to turn your video on and off. That you know how to mute yourself. Call a friend a few days prior to the interview and test everything out. Unsure how you will sound? Try speaking with and without a headset to ensure optimal voice quality.
Posture
Make sure you are sitting in a comfortable chair with the video camera slightly above eye level. If you are using a laptop you might want to prop it up on top of some books to make sure it is at the right level. Don’t sit on your couch or in your favorite lounge chair. Try using a dining room table chair to make sure you are sitting up straight.
Grooming and Dress
Formal suit just like you would for a normal interview. At least from the waist up! Also, don’t be afraid of a little makeup to reduce possible shine.
In conclusion, make sure you treat a video interview the same as you would an in person interview. Get rid of all distractions, make eye contact and pretend the interviewer is right across the desk from you.
GMAT Club Bot