Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:49 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,   Statistics and Sets Problems,                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33662 [50]
Given Kudos: 4578
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1050 [12]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [5]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The arithmetic mean of a collection of 5 positive integers, not necess [#permalink]
Answer should be "C" as with (1) and (2) the smallest of added no is 15 which makes the arith mean 10 (atleast).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: The arithmetic mean of a collection of 5 positive integers, not necess [#permalink]
Ans C:
From Question Stem, we can determine the required range of value of 6th Integer as >=15, using Formulae for Arithmetic Mean.
To conclude this, we need to use both Statements 1 and 2.
Hence, Answer C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [3]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
carcass wrote:
The arithmetic mean of a collection of 5 positive integers, not necessarily distinct, is 9. One additional positive integer is included in the collection and the arithmetic mean of the 6 integers is computed. Is the arithmetic mean of the 6 integers at least 10 ?

1. The additional integer is at least 14.

2. The additional integer is a multiple of 5.

Initial Sum = 5 * 9 = 45
New Sum = 6 * 10 = 60

New number >= 15?

1) New number >= 14 => Not sufficient

2) New number = 5, 10, 15, ...=> Not sufficient

1+2)
New number = 15, 20, .... => Sufficient

ANSWER: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Hi, I got a doubt. Here in the question we were given avg of 5 positive integers as 9 and the question asked is avg of 6 positive integers >= 10. My doubt is why can't we take the average of 9 and the additional positive integer(sixth number) answer A then will be sufficient
chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66912 [1]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SonGoku wrote:
Hi, I got a doubt. Here in the question we were given avg of 5 positive integers as 9 and the question asked is avg of 6 positive integers >= 10. My doubt is why can't we take the average of 9 and the additional positive integer(sixth number) answer A then will be sufficient
chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma

You don't know what the 6th number is. You just know that it is at least 14. It could be 14/15/16/17... etc

If it is 14, the new avg will be less than 10. If it is 15, the new avg will be 10. If it is 16/17... etc, the new avg will be greater than 10.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
LOL'ing at the amount of explanations that are way too complicated for this problem.. There is a very simple way to solve this problem shown below:

using the average formula its safe to say that 9=#/5 so #=45

if GMAT wants to add another number, the formula will now be 45+x/6 which will be >= 10 to be sufficient.

Now let's look at answer choice A

>=14. Plug that into the new average formula that is highlighted and if it is >= 10 A will be sufficient. 14 plugged into the equation will result in an average of 9 which is not true, move to B.

B states that anything that is a multiple of 5 will have an average >=10 which is so false (14 doesnt even produce >= average of 10!)

Look at C-- 70 is the only multiple of 14 that is also a multiple of 5... this number will produce an average greater than 10.

Hope this helps all.

Thanks,
Nick
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22732 [2]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
The arithmetic mean of a collection of 5 positive integers, not necessarily distinct, is 9. One additional positive integer is included in the collection and the arithmetic mean of the 6 integers is computed. Is the arithmetic mean of the 6 integers at least 10 ?

1. The additional integer is at least 14.

2. The additional integer is a multiple of 5.

Solution:

We need to determine whether the mean of 6 integers is at least 10. Notice that the sum of the original 5 integers is 9 x 5 = 45. If we let the additional integer be n, the question becomes

(45 + n) / 6 ≥ 10 ?

45 + n ≥ 60 ?

n ≥ 15 ?

Therefore, if we can determine whether the additional integer is at least 15, then we can determine whether the mean of the 6 integers is at least 10.

Statement One Alone:

Knowing that the additional integer is at least 14 does not mean it’s at least 15. If n = 15, then the mean of the 6 integers is 10; however, if n = 14, then the mean is less than 10. Statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

Knowing that the additional integer is a multiple of 5 does not mean it’s at least 15. If n = 15, then the mean of the 6 integers is 10; however, if n = 10, then the mean is less than 10. Statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Knowing that the additional integer is at least 14 and a multiple of 5 allows us to say it’s at least 15 since 15 is the smallest integer that satisfies both conditions. Therefore, we can say that indeed, the mean of the 6 integers is at least 10.

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I understand why the answer is C), but I think there's a way to interpret the question such that A) makes sense.

If the additional integer is at least 14, then the arithmetic mean of the 6 integers is at least 59/6, which in turn means that the arithmetic mean is NOT at least 10, which also answers the question at hand.

I know this is a super gimmicky way of looking at this question, but why is this interpretation wrong?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Send PM
rjin31415926 wrote:
I understand why the answer is C), but I think there's a way to interpret the question such that A) makes sense.

If the additional integer is at least 14, then the arithmetic mean of the 6 integers is at least 59/6, which in turn means that the arithmetic mean is NOT at least 10, which also answers the question at hand.

I know this is a super gimmicky way of looking at this question, but why is this interpretation wrong?

We can't answer yes/no with certainty.

If 14, then the mean is not at least 10.

If 15, then the mean is at least 10.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts