Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:15 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [43]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1143 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows the shape of a flower bed. If arc QR is a semic [#permalink]
Option C.
S1:l+b=14.
Insufficient as miltiple values are possible for length and breadth.
S2:l^2+b^2=100
Again insuff

Combining the two
We can find out l*b=48
And l+b=14
To get single value of l & b.After that we can find out the perimeter of the whole figure.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows the shape of a flower bed. If arc QR is a semic [#permalink]
Bunuel, can you provide a more detaliled solution to this question? Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 384
Send PM
Kudos
in a rectangle, why can't we use 45-45-90 rule as the corners are 90 degree each to find the remaining two sides if hypotenuse is given?
but then the the two sides will come equal which is not possible for a rectangle. anyone ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644171 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anki111 wrote:
in a rectangle, why can't we use 45-45-90 rule as the corners are 90 degree each to find the remaining two sides if hypotenuse is given?
but then the the two sides will come equal which is not possible for a rectangle. anyone ?

A diagonal divides a rectangle into two 45-45-90 triangles only if the rectangle is a square. If a rectangle is NOT a square, then the diagonal can create any angle with an adjacent side, from 0 to 90, not inclusive. In this question we are told that, QR > RS, so PQRS is NOT a square so we don't get 45-45-90 triangles.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644171 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AntonioGalindo wrote:

Can you please tell me which part of the solution here is not clear? I'll try to elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
AntonioGalindo wrote:

Can you please tell me which part of the solution here is not clear? I'll try to elaborate.

If you can please show all the passages, not clear yet for me the whole process.

Many thanks in advance!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644171 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MM91 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
AntonioGalindo wrote:

If you can please show all the passages, not clear yet for me the whole process.

Many thanks in advance!

The figure above shows the shape of a flower bed. If arc QR is a semicircle and PQRS is a rectangle with QR > RS, what is the perimeter of the flower bed ?

Let the length of the rectangle be a and the width be b. Then the perimeter will be PS + RS + QR + (length of arc QR) \(= a + b + b + \pi*\frac{a}{2}\). As you can see to get the perimeter of the figure we only need the width and the length of the rectangle. Notice that the length of the rectangle, will also be the diameter of the semicircle.

(1) The perimeter of rectangle PQRS is 28 feet.

2(a + b) = 28;
    a + b = 14.
Not sufficient, to get the values of a and b.

(2) Each diagonal of rectangle PQRS is 10 feet long.

a^2 + b^2 = 10^2.
Also, not sufficient, to get the values of a and b.

(1)+(2) Squaring the equation from statement (1) gives us a^2 + 2ab + b^2 = 14^2. We can then substitute a^2 + b^2 = 10^2 into this equation to get 2ab + 10^2 = 14^2. Simplifying, we get ab = 48.

Since b = 14 - a from statement (1), we can substitute this expression into ab = 48 to get a(14 - a) = 48. This quadratic equation can be solved to find that a = 6 or a = 8. Since QR > RS, we know that a > b, so a must equal 8 and b must equal 6.

Therefore, we can calculate the perimeter of the flower bed as \(= a + b + b + \pi*\frac{a}{2}= 8 + 6 + 6 + \pi*\frac{8}{2} = 20 + 4\pi\) .

Answer: C.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts