Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 03:01 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 03:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 2890 [107]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 31554 [40]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows two entries, indicated by m and n, in [#permalink]
There must be something I'm completely unaware of because how does box DY and box EZ relate to the box values the question asks for?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665581 [1]
Given Kudos: 87509
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Anonamy
There must be something I'm completely unaware of because how does box DY and box EZ relate to the box values the question asks for?

It's an an addition table. For example, e + y = n and d + z = m.

Hope it's clear.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 17448 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The figure above shows two entries, indicated by m and n, in an addition table. What is the value of n + m?

(1) d + y = -3
(2) e + z = 12

When you modify the original condition and the question, n+m=(e+y)+(d+z)=(e+z)+(y+d)=?. Then you need all 1) & 2) and therefore the answer is C.

 Once we modify the original condition and the question according to the variable approach method 1, we can solve approximately 30% of DS questions.
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The figure above shows two entries, indicated by m and n, in [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel: Can you please post similar problems on addition tables
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665581 [2]
Given Kudos: 87509
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
DH99
Hi Bunuel: Can you please post similar problems on addition tables

Check other Addition/Subtraction/Multiplication Tables problems from our Special Questions Directory
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello. Why do we need both statements? Doesn't statement 2 suffice? Since we need to find n+m we can just find e+z which is given in statement 2. Am I missing something here? The addition/multiplication works only with the variables in the first row/column? Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1593 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
geo1230
Hello. Why do we need both statements? Doesn't statement 2 suffice? Since we need to find n+m we can just find e+z which is given in statement 2. Am I missing something here? The addition/multiplication works only with the variables in the first row/column? Thanks.

Hi geo1230

e+z will give you entry for row below m or column beside n. These are entries against different additions and does not simply signify the value of row or column.

so to get the value of n you need e+y and for m you need d+z
Send PM
To be honest I still don't get it. If e+y gives me n and d+z gives me m, then, likewise e+z should give the value of the cell that is below m and right next to n, which is the same as saying n+m.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2595 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
geo1230
To be honest I still don't get it. If e+y gives me n and d+z gives me m, then, likewise e+z should give the value of the cell that is below m and right next to n, which is the same as saying n+m.

Hi

The highlighted part above is correct, but part after that is not correct. How is that cell equal to sum of n+m?
Send PM
amanvermagmat
geo1230

Hi

The highlighted part above is correct, but part after that is not correct. How is that cell equal to sum of n+m?

Hello. I thought it worked like a coordinate system. For example, the value of the sum e+y is located in the cell where n is located which is the intersection of row e and column y. So the value of n+m is the cell where they intersect, so it can be found from the row e and column z, as in e+z. In the picture I am trying to show what I mean. With red is the logic of the sums, with yellow the target cells where the value of the sum is located and with blue is the reason I believe that statement 2 alone is sufficient. Hope it clarifies the line of thinking.
Attachments

addition_table.png
addition_table.png [ 6.07 KiB | Viewed 50149 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2595 [4]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos