Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Manage a $2M Student Investment Fund at UCLA Anderson [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Manage a $2M Student Investment Fund at UCLA Anderson

Many acknowledge UCLA Anderson’s unique connections to the media and entertainment industry. However, far fewer MBA aspirants are aware of the tremendous opportunities Anderson provides to students interested in investment management. Established in 1987, the Student Investment Fund (SIF) at Anderson is a fellowship that provides a limited number of students with a hands-on opportunity to apply what they have learned thus far about investment theory. Students must apply for the opportunity to manage the portfolio, as one of the 10–12 SIF Fellows, by submitting an essay and participating in two rounds of panel interviews. SIF Fellows engage in investment strategy, asset allocation, and security analysis for more than 18 months and explore both value and growth approaches to investment as well as fixed income investments. Fellows get together weekly during the academic year, meet once a month with the Faculty Oversight Committee, and visit more than 30 investment professionals throughout the fellowship to learn about different investment philosophies. Fellows also receive assistance in securing summer internships in the investment management industry. Those interested in a career in investment management should give UCLA Anderson a closer look.

For more information on UCLA Anderson or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Manage a $2M Student Investment Fund at UCLA Anderson appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
“Fun Guy” and Orbital Founder Gary Chou Shares His Entrepreneurial Sag [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: “Fun Guy” and Orbital Founder Gary Chou Shares His Entrepreneurial Saga
Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

In the eleventh episode of the podcast series, Shinewald welcomes Orbital founder and self-described “fun guy” Gary Chou. Orbital, which Chou defines as “a space to do awesome stuff,” aims to help people develop side projects by offering programs, boot camps, one-on-one sessions, and community support. Chou knows a thing or two about doing “awesome stuff”; his resume includes everything from producing films, to working as a general manager at venture capital firm Union Square Ventures, to serving on the executive board of Venture for America—all before Orbital even saw the light of day. In this fascinating installment of the podcast series, Chou discusses these stories and more:

• How his planned two months off to recuperate from the dot-com burst turned into three years
  • Seeing Orbital as the one truly intentional move in his career—Chou says every amazing thing that happened to him “has a messy story behind [it]”
  • Signing a two-year lease on a massive work space before he knew what kind of a company Orbital would be
Subscribe to the podcast series to get a front-row seat as entrepreneurs such as Chou share their stories of struggle and success!

The post “Fun Guy” and Orbital Founder Gary Chou Shares His Entrepreneurial Saga appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: It’s All About My Work Performance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: It’s All About My Work Performance
Because you spend so many of your waking hours at work and because the MBA is the vehicle you are choosing to use to drive your career forward, you may naturally believe that your professional experiences are all that matter to the admissions committees. Don’t get us wrong: you need to have (and share) strong professional stories, but top-tier business schools are looking for much more than just examples of professional excellence. If you discuss only your work experiences in your application, you will present yourself as a one-dimensional character, and today’s managers need to demonstrate that they can handle a multitude of tasks, situations, and personalities—both inside and outside the workplace.

At the end of the year, we at mbaMission typically post an offer on our blog to review 20 applications, submitted by candidates who did not use our services and who did not receive an offer of admission from a single program of their choice. We find that the most common error committed by these applicants is that they discussed only their work accomplishments and gave no sense of who they truly are as well-rounded human beings. Although professional accomplishments definitely have a place in your applications, do not go overboard and focus on this one aspect of your candidacy to the exclusion of all else—balance is crucial. To the best of your ability, strive to offer a mix of accomplishments from the professional, community, and personal fields. Your goal is to keep the reader learning about you with each essay. A diversity of stories will reveal that you have the skills to accomplish a great deal in many different fields and circumstances, which is the hallmark of a modern general manager.

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: It’s All About My Work Performance appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: I Studied This — I Should Know How to Do It! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: I Studied This — I Should Know How to Do It!
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

When was the last time you thought “I studied this! I should know how to do it!”? For me, it was sometime within the past week. I knew that this problem was not beyond my reach! Meanwhile, the clock was ticking away, and all I could focus on was the fact that I could not remember something that I should have been able to remember.

That horrible, sinking feeling is universal: we have all felt it before and—unfortunately—we are all going to feel it again. How can we deal with this?

What does the “But!” feeling really mean?

When you catch yourself thinking

• But I studied this…
  • But I should know how to do this…
  • If I just had a little more time, I am sureI could figure it out…
  • I have already invested so much time, I do not want to give up now…
…all these really mean is I do not actually know how to do the problem right now. If I did, I would not feel any of the “But!” feelings. I would just do the problem.

Our brains are not perfect. Sometimes we are going to forget or stumble over something that we really do know. (Also, sometimes we are going to think we should know something that we really do not know as well as we thought we did.)

Change your response

We are never going to get rid of the “But!” feeling, so the remedy here is not to try to train ourselves to lose it. Rather, the remedy is to recognize that we are feeling this way and change how we respond.

When you feel the “But!” feeling, start treating the problem like one that you know you do not know how to do. Do not give into the feeling; it is trying to distract you and cause you to waste time. From now on, “But… but… but…” = I do not know what I am doing.

If I have already used up all my time, I guess randomly and move on. If I still have some time left, and I have some ideas about how I might make an educated guess, then I try to do that for about 30 seconds or so. Then, I pick and move on.

Next steps

Still struggling with the idea of cutting yourself off like this? Read my mind-set article, In It To Win It, to understand why letting go on a few problems here and there is not really a big deal. Here is another resource for time management. (We all have at least minor problems with time management on a test like the GMAT.)

The post GMAT Impact: I Studied This — I Should Know How to Do It! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
In Other News … [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: In Other News …
The business school world is constantly buzzing with change and innovation. Each week, in addition to our regular news posts, we briefly touch on a few notable stories from this dynamic field in one roundup. Here is what caught our eye this week:

• The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania will offer a new online specialization, titled “Business Analytics,” the school announced recently. The specialization, which will begin its first course on September 15, is part of the Business Foundation series that is currently available to students through the Coursera online learning platform. The school will offer four courses in the Business Analytics specialization: “People Analytics,” “Accounting Analytics,” “Customer Analytics,” and “Operations Analytics.”
  • Harvard Business School (HBS) is well known for its extensive and largely successful alumni pool, but one field filled with HBS grads could be a surprise: fashion. Such fashion entrepreneurs as Gilt cofounder Alexandra Wilkis Wilson and Rent the Runway bosses Jennifer Fleiss and Jennifer Hyman graduated from HBS, Boston.com reports. “Having access to genius [HBS] professors who had run retail businesses or large logistics-intensive operations was invaluable,” Fleiss commented in the article.
  • Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is a polarizing figure, but his alma mater is undoubtedly prestigious—the real estate mogul graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968 with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics. “I’m going to be the king of New York real estate,” he announced to one of his classes in true Trump style, the Boston Globe reports. Trump, whose former classmates describe him as “different” and “a little into himself,” would flip houses in Philadelphia throughout his time at Wharton.
  • MBA hopefuls tend to use persistent stereotypes of business schools to help them decide where to apply. “If I want to work in marketing, I’ll go to Kellogg,” one might think. If that is the case, those hoping to work at Facebook should pay attention: Business Insider took a closer look at the company’s staff and compiled its findings into a list of the 20 most widely represented schools. Perhaps surprisingly, only two were business schools: the University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business at number 16 and the Stanford Graduate School of Business at number 18.
The post In Other News … appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Multidimensional Brainstorming, Part 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Multidimensional Brainstorming, Part 1
We always tell candidates, “You cannot turn a bad idea into a good essay.” We insist on taking our clients through a lengthy brainstorming process—starting with a thorough questionnaire—to discover the stories that make them distinct. As you uncover your stories, you should consider them from as many different angles as possible. Doing so will not only help ensure that you understand the various “weapons in your arsenal,” but it will also provide you with maximum flexibility, considering that MBA admissions committees ask questions that vary dramatically from school to school.

For example, an experience coaching a baseball team at an underfunded high school may have multiple dimensions, such as the following:

• creatively motivating an underachieving team and changing attitudes, despite losses
  • initiating and leading fund-raising efforts so that each player could afford proper equipment
  • mentoring a struggling player and seeing an improvement in his or her on-field performance
  • helping a player deal with a family issue off the field
  • recruiting other coaches and then working to improve a team’s on-field performance
These are just a few of the stories that could be gleaned through brainstorming, proving that considering your experiences from various angles is beneficial and will help you discover multiple unique approaches to your essays.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Multidimensional Brainstorming, Part 1 appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Tune in to Hear the Success Story of College Admissions Guru Jessica B [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Tune in to Hear the Success Story of College Admissions Guru Jessica Brondo Davidoff
Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

In the twelfth episode of the podcast series, Admittedly Founder and CEO Jessica Brondo Davidoff shares her entrepreneurial journey thus far with Shinewald and listeners. Admittedly’s software helps high school students find the college or university of their dreams through quizzes that deliver personalized results. How did a public policy and international affairs major end up saving high school students from the headache of finding their ideal college or university? Brondo Davidoff shares her story, touching on these topics and much more:

• How she walked away from a blooming business—her first venture, educational consulting firm The Edge in College Prep—to launch Admittedly
  • Witnessing an influx of 38K new students join Admittedly in one month alone
  • Participating in two seed accelerators armed with only an “awful” PowerPoint proposal—but no actual product
Subscribe to the podcast series to catch a glimpse of what it takes to become an entrepreneur!

The post Tune in to Hear the Success Story of College Admissions Guru Jessica Brondo Davidoff appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Mission Admission: Keep Your Online Presence in Check [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Keep Your Online Presence in Check
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

These days, as social media pervades most of our lives, we need to take special care to keep our private lives just that—private! Our partners at Kaplan Test Prep found that 26% of college admissions officers check applicants’ Facebook profiles or other social networking pages to learn more about them—both the good and the bad. And although MBA admissions committees probably have better things to do than troll the Internet for your private information, you can never truly know whether an alumnus/alumna or a student interviewer will take a few minutes to find out a little more about you online.

Although your pages on these sites are likely innocuous, you must still ensure that access to those pages is limited so that you can control who sees them—and can thereby have more control over your interviewer’s perception of you. You do not want your interviewer’s first impression to be drawn from your vacation photos but rather from your confident demeanor as you walk in the door and shake his/her hand. So take a moment and make sure that only those you invite to your pages can use them to learn about you and your life.

The post Mission Admission: Keep Your Online Presence in Check appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Ask For Something [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Ask For Something
In this weekly series, our friends at MBA Career Coaches will be dispensing invaluable advice to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. For more information or to sign up for a free career consultation, visit www.mbacareercoaches.com.

We have been quite candid in stating that your cover letter, if you are applying for a job that many other business school students are applying for, will not likely be read. That said, we do not suggest that you ignore your cover letter. After all, a poor letter can disqualify you – who wants to hire someone who displays a flagrant lack of effort? And, it is still possible that someone who likes your resume will want to learn more about your qualifications, communication style, reasons for wanting the position and more.

So, as you give appropriate heed to your cover letter, remember to ask for something. You are not writing in a vacuum to check a box. You are writing to get a job. So, strive to move forward in that process. Here are two straightforward examples:

“Because you do not recruit at my school, I would be eager to set-up a time to speak with you, or possibly even meet with you in your offices when I am in San Francisco in February. Please let me know if your schedule….”

“I know that you will be on campus on XX date and would look forward to meeting with you in-person to discuss my qualifications and interest in your firm.”

By asking for a next step, you are not being pushy – you are revealing appropriate interest and results orientation, something any employer will appreciate!

To schedule your free 30-minute consultation with MBA Career Coaches, click here

The post MBA Career Advice: Ask For Something appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: George Geis, UCLA Anderson School of Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: George Geis, UCLA Anderson School of Management
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose an MBA program, but the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we profile George Geis from the UCLA Anderson School of Management.

George Geis has been voted Outstanding Teacher of the Year five times while at UCLA Anderson, most recently in 2012, and currently serves as faculty director of the school’s Executive Mergers and Acquisitions Program. Geis is also the editor of a Web site that provides analysis of mergers and acquisitions deals in technology, media, and communications (www.trivergence.com), and he writes a mergers and acquisitions blog (https://maprofessor.blogspot.com). One alumnus described Geis to mbaMission as an experienced investor and a funny and credible guy. The graduate added that he had very much enjoyed the guest speakers Geis brought to class, as well as the strategic analysis of the board game industry, covered in a case discussion about the game Trivial Pursuit.

For more information about the UCLA Anderson School of Management and 15 other top-ranked MBA schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Professor Profiles: George Geis, UCLA Anderson School of Management appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA News: Stanford GSB Dean Steps Down Abruptly [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Stanford GSB Dean Steps Down Abruptly

In a surprising move, Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) Dean Garth Saloner announced on Monday that he will resign at the end of the current academic year. “I have decided that it is in the best interests of Stanford and the GSB, two institutions that I love, that I step down,” Saloner wrote in a school-wide email. He continued: “As many of you know, the university and I have been vigorously defending a baseless and protracted lawsuit related to a contentious divorce between a current and former member of our faculty.” The lawsuit in question has been widely discussed in the media, culminating on Monday in a lengthy and controversial article published by Poets & Quants. Saloner referenced the escalating media attention in his resignation statement, commenting: “I have become increasingly concerned that the ongoing litigation and growing media interest will distract all of you from the important work that you are doing and unfairly impact this stellar school’s deserved reputation.” Saloner will continue as the dean until summer 2016, after which he will return to teaching at the school.

The post MBA News: Stanford GSB Dean Steps Down Abruptly appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Good Ole Darden Days [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Good Ole Darden Days

When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Typically held in May, Darden Days is a weekend of organized presentations and events on grounds and throughout Charlottesville for the school’s admitted students. The intensive weekend is meant to provide these candidates with an in-depth perspective on all aspects of Darden’s MBA program and community and with the basic information they will need if they decide to accept the school’s offer of admission. One second-year student we interviewed called Darden Days one of his “favorite events of the year” and described how for one event, prospective students, first years, and second years enjoyed a barbecue at a local vineyard with a bluegrass band, where they could all “hang out outside, mingle, and ask questions.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at UVA Darden and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: Good Ole Darden Days appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Rotterdam School of Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Rotterdam School of Management
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

The Rotterdam School of Management (RSM) at Erasmus University offers one of the top-ranked international MBA programs in Europe, drawing its strength from a broad general management curriculum with an overarching emphasis on sustainability. Through case studies and class discussion, real-world problems and social and environmental questions are integrated into all aspects of the RSM program. In addition, as a hub of global business, the city of Rotterdam provides students with unique networking and recruiting resources.

RSM students must undergo rigorous leadership training, with each of the four terms of the 12-month, full-time program devoted to a different curricular component. A suite of core foundations of management courses first equips students with theoretical tools that they later put to use in more applied contexts in their second term. In the third term, students select an advanced course in their chosen area of career specialization. They also gain hands-on experience through the week-long “Living Management Consulting Project”—a course that pairs teams of students with a participating company to solve a current business problem. In their final term, students can further enhance their career specialization through elective courses, a leadership retreat, dual degree options, or exchange programs with other top-ranked institutions.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Rotterdam School of Management appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Columbia Business School’s End-of-Semester Push [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Columbia Business School’s End-of-Semester Push

Although summer seems to have just ended, first-year Columbia Business School (CBS) students have only a few short months before they enter the last big push of their first semester in December, with finals wrapping up and the next semester not beginning until mid-January. The end of regular classes at the school is traditionally marked by CBS Follies, a student-run comedy and entertainment show, as well as an End of Semester Party, and those looking to stay involved with CBS and their classmates during the holiday break have plenty of opportunities to do so. Many students go abroad during the break to such places as Korea, Brazil, and Australia on Chazen Study Tours or as part of consulting projects through the International Development Club. And students wishing for a complete break from the classroom can take part in the Snow Sports Club’s annual Winter Ski Trip in early January. Although the long break can offer a welcome rest from the stress of first-semester classes, recruiting season for first years begins once they return to campus for second semester. So, one way or another, this is a good time for CBS students to clear their heads.

For more information on CBS or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Columbia Business School’s End-of-Semester Push appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA News: Boston Area Business Schools Struggle with Low Minority Repr [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Boston Area Business Schools Struggle with Low Minority Representation
Race inequality has been an issue at business schools for decades, but the phenomenon is notably pronounced in the Boston area, the Boston Globe reports. A mere 5% of graduates who received business school degrees (both undergraduate and graduate) in the area last year were black—the national figure is 11%. Harvard Business School (HBS) and the MIT Sloan School of Management, both of which have campuses in or near Boston, had only 5% and 4% black graduates, respectively, last year. “Despite having some of the most excellent institutions in the country, these problems are real [in the Boston area],” the manager for multicultural programs at Babson College (who also earned a bachelor’s degree and an MBA from the school) told the Boston Globe.

Schools claim to be fighting back despite the low numbers—HBS and Boston University’s Questrom School of Business, for example, have recently established African-American unions and associations in addition to hosting retreats and programs aimed at recruiting minorities. “We want to make sure that business school is a place for everyone,” HBS professor and minority summer program leader Anita Elberse commented in the article.

The post MBA News: Boston Area Business Schools Struggle with Low Minority Representation appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The Admissions Committee’s Glass Is 99 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The Admissions Committee’s Glass Is 99% Empty

“I was the first in my class to be promoted at McKinsey. I have a 710 GMAT score and completed Level 1 of the CFA exam, but I had a B- in calculus during my freshman year. Will that grade ruin my chances for admission?”

“My company has been under a hiring and promotion freeze for the past three years, but during that time, I have earned pay increases and survived successive rounds of layoffs. Will the admissions committee accept someone who has not been promoted?”

“I have been promoted, but my company changed names. Will the admissions committee think I am going somewhere at a sketchy company?”

Although these questions may seem somewhat silly—the individuals’ strengths are obvious and their “weaknesses” comparatively innocuous—we get asked about scenarios like these every day. In short, we can assure you that your candidacy, even at vaunted schools like Harvard and Stanford, is not rendered tenuous by such trivial “shortcomings.” The admissions officers do not consider you guilty until proven innocent, and they are not looking for little reasons to exclude you from contention.

Many candidates have mythologized the “perfect” applicant and fear that any small area of concern means that they do not measure up to this myth—and thus that their candidacy is insufficient. Rather than fixating on small details that in truth are inconsequential, you should think about the big picture with respect to your overall competitiveness.

You can take us at our word on this. Or, if you prefer, heed the words of J.J. Cutler, former deputy vice dean of MBA admissions, financial aid, and career management at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, who explained to mbaMission that “everyone has something, or more than one thing, in their application that they need to overcome,” but added, “We read with an eye toward wanting to find all the good things about an applicant. We look for their strengths. We look for things that make them stand out, that make them unique. We look for their accomplishments. We look for positive parts of the application.”

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The Admissions Committee’s Glass Is 99% Empty appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA News: Forbes Releases Its 2015 Business School Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Forbes Releases Its 2015 Business School Rankings
Forbes took an early leap into the fall rankings season by releasing its 2015 Best Business Schools list last week. The Stanford Graduate School of Business took the top spot for the second year in a row, with Harvard Business School (HBS) placing second and Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management coming in third.

Although the Forbes rankings are based on the return on investment for the Class of 2010—one of the classes most impacted by the financial crisis—the effects of the economic downturn are surprisingly absent in the results for the top schools five years after graduation. The Stanford Class of 2010 reported its five-year income gain (i.e., what the graduates gained back on top of their tuition costs) as $89,100. In comparison, the corresponding average number was $83,500 at HBS and $61,700 among the top 25 schools. (Overall, however, the average five-year gain declined by approximately 9% in two years.) Stanford students were lucky in other aspects as well: the school’s alumni tripled their pre-MBA compensation in the five years after graduation, bringing their average salary from $86K to $255K.

In one of the rankings’ biggest surprises, the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan dropped out of the top ten altogether, landing at number 15. In addition, two new names appeared in the top 25: the Mendoza College of Business at the University of Notre Dame and the Mays Business School at Texas A&M University came in at 23rd and 24th, respectively.

The post MBA News: Forbes Releases Its 2015 Business School Rankings appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts