Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 02:57 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 402 [11]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4858 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The Neanderthal's were sociable creatures or not [#permalink]
mykrasovski
Why is C incorrect? If we negate it and say that "Neanderthals from different areas had similar languages that allowed to cooperate", then the argument, which includes the premise the monkeys treated other monkeys as enemies, is broken. So, C is a good answer.

Buddy u are taking the wrong road, the premises tells us that the Neanderthal drove away or eliminated and did not wish to communicate or cooperate with others .....

Do not challenge the premises / facts presented by the author as you will not be able to reach the conclusion...
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
mykrasovski
Why is C incorrect? If we negate it and say that "Neanderthals from different areas had similar languages that allowed to cooperate", then the argument, which includes the premise the monkeys treated other monkeys as enemies, is broken. So, C is a good answer.

Hi mykrasovski
I am not here to point out why C is wrong because that already been done. I am here to point out a flaw in your negation technique. Negating an assumption is absolutely necessary but it must be done correctly. Refer to CR bible to see the difference between opposite and logical opposite. We must only find a logical opposite to negate a sentence.
Logical opposite of C would be “Neanderthals from different areas did NOT use different languages....”.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
The Neanderthal's were sociable creatures or not [#permalink]
Doer01
mykrasovski

Hi mykrasovski
I am not here to point out why C is wrong because that already been done. I am here to point out a flaw in your negation technique. Negating an assumption is absolutely necessary but it must be done correctly. Refer to CR bible to see the difference between opposite and logical opposite. We must only find a logical opposite to negate a sentence.
Logical opposite of C would be “Neanderthals from different areas did NOT use different languages....”.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi doer, thanks for your reply. Okay, let's apply negation to answer choice B - "Tools and artifacts could not go far away", so it Strengthens the argument itself (see last sentence). Usually, the negation technique Weakens the argument... So, I don't understand how the Negation Technique works here... Perhaps, I should have negated the "only if" piece of the sentence and say "not only if"? Then the negated choice B means that the items could go far away from sites for other reasons than trade, while the argument says "in most of the Neanderthal sites ... tools have been found pretty near the source". The negation technique hurts / weakens the argument in this case. Am I correct?

Luckily, I do have the PS CR Bible book. However, I was not keen on following this book because some of the approaches it teaches differ from those in Manhattan CR book. For instance, Manhattan suggests to read & identify the question before reading the paragraph (stimulus), while the CR Bible says just the opposite. Also, Manhattan does a better job at classifying the question types (in my subjective view). Nonetheless, CR Bible is a highly respected book and I am wondering what your opinion about these two sources are. I am definitely struggling with CR and looking forward to find a source that will help me improve. Perhaps, I could "blend" the two books and supplement Manhattan foundation with more detail from CR Bible?

Thank you in advance!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7080 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts