Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 19:51 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 19:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2352 [9]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 793 [2]
Given Kudos: 1576
Send PM
Re: Until about five years ago, the very idea that peptide hormones might [#permalink]
Kudos
Q7. The idea that the field of endocrinology can gain from developments in molecular biology is regarded by Roberts with

(A) Incredulity
(B) Derision
(C) indifference
(D) pride
(E) enthusiasm

OA is C - indifference

indifference - lack of interest, concern, or sympathy

I am not too sure if Robert's had a lack of interest when saying that line. Disagree with OA.

**I particularly do not feel it is "enthusiasm", but that is the closest positive word in the list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: Until about five years ago, the very idea that peptide hormones might [#permalink]
Q7. The idea that the field of endocrinology can gain from developments in molecular biology is regarded by Roberts with

(A) Incredulity
(B) Derision
(C) indifference
(D) pride
(E) enthusiasm

Indifference? Why? Please explain
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38303 [0]
Given Kudos: 5849
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
LeopardLiu wrote:

(A) Incredulity
(B) Derision
(C) indifference
(D) pride
(E) enthusiasm

Indifference? Why? Please explain

Hi LeopardLiu and AnirudhaS

OE to question #7 is indeed E and not C, I have edited the same.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q90 V80 DI85
Send PM
Until about five years ago, the very idea that peptide hormones might [#permalink]
Where can we judge that q2 b
Other than the brain? I thought other than the hypothalamus is right

GMATNinja
MartyMurray

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7903 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
EDDIE98

p1 tells us that peptide hormones are produced both in the hypothalamus and in endocrine glands outside the brain. p2 tells us that these hormones seem to have been found in the brain, but current methods "cannot be used to determine the location in the body where the detected substances are actually produced." In other words, if peptide hormones are found in the brain outside the hypothalamus, they MAY have been produced in the hypothalamus, or they may have been produced outside the brain and crossed the blood-brain barrier. Since neither of those cases was though to occur, it's hard to say which one is happening. So C is plausible.

The later paragraphs describe a new method that ought to clear things up, but there's no indication that the method has been employed yet, so we're still in a state of uncertainty.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q90 V80 DI85
Send PM
DmitryFarber
I understand so we can't determine outside the brain or outside the hypothalamus
Problem asks about may ~~~ so both case can be and the answer is C
Is this proper understanding? Thanks

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7903 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Exactly! Since we can't tell which one it is, either one MAY be the case.

By the way, it's worth noting that all the other answers are much more strongly worded, so the burden of proof is higher. For instance, how would we begin to prove something like "play no role." A statement about where something "may have been produced" is much less ambitious, and thus safer. Lots of things MAY have happened, so as long as the passage provides some support for this particular idea, we're safe. (If the idea wasn't connected to the text at all, we could say that it MAY be true, but it wouldn't be implied by the passage, so it wouldn't work as an answer.)
Manager
Manager
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q90 V80 DI85
Send PM
DmitryFarber wow amazing thanks I understand!!!

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14003 posts