It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V02-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132827 [0], given: 12378

V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:58
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:35) correct 54% (01:18) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

A. An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
B. A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
C. A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
D. A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the bedding used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
E. An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:58
Official Solution:

The Dear One Baby Carrier is the safest and most comfortable baby carrier available today. The hard plastic exterior retains its shape despite minor impacts, protecting baby from the outside, while the thick interior “comfort pad” acts as a shock absorber inside. The interior design has been comfort-tested by thousands of infants, and the exterior handles have been designed with the arms and hands of caring parents in mind. Perhaps best of all, the Dear One Baby Carrier converts easily from an at-large carrier to a car seat, reducing the risk to baby posed by being shifted from one carrier to another.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the claim to safety made on behalf of the Dear One Baby Carrier?

A. An infant safety commission announces that most dropping accidents involving infants occur when a parent is the primary caretaker.
B. A survey conducted by a popular magazine reveals that a large number of parents are still not aware of the danger posed to infants by putting their carriers in the front seat.
C. A parents’ group endorses the Dear One Baby Carrier as the most convenient baby carrier to take on vacation.
D. A manufacturer adds a “danger of suffocation” label to the raw material used for bedding, which is used for the interior of the Dear One Baby Carrier.
E. An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats.

Situation The manufacturer of a brand of baby carrier claims that it is the safest on the market.

Reasoning Which specific claims are made by the manufacturer, and how could they be undermined? The paragraph claims to protect infants in three ways: with a hard plastic exterior, with interior padding, and by reducing the need to transfer the infant from one type of carrier to another. First eliminate options that do not deal directly with one of these claims, and then test remaining answer choices to see which will undo one of the major claims.
  1. The passage does not deal with accidents involving infants in general.
  2. The passage does not compare the relative merits of front- and back-seat placement for the carrier.
  3. The manufacturer’s claim deals with safety, not convenience.
  4. Though this option deals with a safety concern, the concern remains between manufacturers, not between the public and the manufacturer of the Dear One, since the padding will likely change forms before being added to the baby carrier.
  5. This option directly undermines the manufacturer’s claim that infants are safer remaining in the carrier than being transferred from carrier to car seat.

Answer: E

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 19:25
Hi Bunuel

I understand why understand why choice E is the right choice but do not follow the reasoning for why choice D is the wrong choice. Could you please shed some light on that.

Is it because the manufacturing label will not be present on the end product? But how can we guarantee that to be the case always? I mean do we not see real life products where you have manufacturing and shipping labels that are present on the end product (please do let me know if my line of reasoning is off here)? I will anticipate your response.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
Re V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I agree E is correct. But the "interior" mentioned for answer D is vague - it could refer to concave section of the baby seat rather than the convex section.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Re: V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 01:28
Couldn't understand how option choice E is correct.

I am unable to comprehend the meaning of option choice E.

option choice E - An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats

Car seats are safely doubled - I understand this means a car seat can be folded.

Baby carriers do not safely double as car seat. I am not able to understand the meaning of this sentence.

Kindly help me understand the meaning of option choice E.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 14:12
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Couldn't understand how option choice E is correct.

I am unable to comprehend the meaning of option choice E.

option choice E - An article written by a pediatrician states that at-large baby carriers do not safely double as car seats

Car seats are safely doubled - I understand this means a car seat can be folded.

Baby carriers do not safely double as car seat. I am not able to understand the meaning of this sentence.

Kindly help me understand the meaning of option choice E.

The statement implies that the safe folding mechanism available with car-seats in not available with baby-carriers.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 164

Re V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 20:43
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I don't understand why D is incorrect (I understand why E is correct). The explanation mentions the comfort pad as one of the three safety features. A bedding material used in one of those safety features has been deemed a "danger of suffocation"... this seems like it certainly undermines the safety claim. Please elaborate. Thank you for your time.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 164

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 12:01
dpgiii wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I don't understand why D is incorrect (I understand why E is correct). The explanation mentions the comfort pad as one of the three safety features. A bedding material used in one of those safety features has been deemed a "danger of suffocation"... this seems like it certainly undermines the safety claim. Please elaborate. Thank you for your time.

It is given that the bedding material is hazardous in the form that it is supplied to the baby carrier manufacturer. Once the material is made into a carrier, it is no longer a suffocation hazard because it is no longer in bulk form, but in the form of a layer on the baby carrier. The danger of suffocation is to the manufacturer of the baby carrier, not to the baby.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 07:41
For option E, how would we guarantee the credentials of a pediatrician writing an article talking about the safety. Had the option been worded as the "most reputed pediatrician" than it would sound more convincing. I agree that option D is a trap question since once the interior is made, there is no chance of suffocation for the baby

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 10:43
varunjoshi31 wrote:
For option E, how would we guarantee the credentials of a pediatrician writing an article talking about the safety. Had the option been worded as the "most reputed pediatrician" than it would sound more convincing. I agree that option D is a trap question since once the interior is made, there is no chance of suffocation for the baby

This is a weakening type question - it is not required to confirm ("guarantee") that the argument is wrong. Only weakening would suffice. (The same is true for strengthening questions as well.)

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 11:09
Yes I understand that strengthen /weaken dont need to be 100% full proof.

My point of view was this option could have been framed better.

Agree that this is the best of options available

Posted from my mobile device

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 134

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re V02-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 03:53
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Clarity between option D & E required. Reasoning given for D to be incorrect is not sufficient and convincing

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 134

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 03:51
Please clarify why option D isn't correct.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:55
You are assuming a lot of things for D to be incorrect which is not the right way to approach a CR, I guess.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 14:28
sayantanc2k wrote:
dpgiii wrote:

It is given that the bedding material is hazardous in the form that it is supplied to the baby carrier manufacturer. Once the material is made into a carrier, it is no longer a suffocation hazard because it is no longer in bulk form, but in the form of a layer on the baby carrier. The danger of suffocation is to the manufacturer of the baby carrier, not to the baby.

I think I agree with anilsingh33, and with due respect tend to disagree with the explanation above.

Once the material (lets say fabric for the car seat cover) is made into a carrier, how does it guarantees (and who is guaranteeing) that it is no longer a suffocation hazard? Option D doesn't indicate anywhere that the "danger of suffocation" label is applicable only when material is used in bulk form.

Taking another example, if the raw material was foam used for cushion, which is now covered by the car seat cover, so it may not appear to be a suffocation danger in the final product. But what if the car seat cover gets torn after usage and the foam gets exposed? Now, it will be definitely a suffocation danger.

So option D is still weakening the claim made, just like option E is.

I would say that option D is a invalid option in the manner it has been presented in the question statement.

Re: V02-36   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 14:28

V02-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap