GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the value of r^2 - 2rs + s^2?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q42 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V35
What is the value of r^2 - 2rs + s^2?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Feb 2017, 12:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:34) correct 16% (01:03) wrong based on 54 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What is the value of \(r^2 - 2rs + s^2\)?

(1) \(s = 4\)
(2) \(r - s = 12\)

Originally posted by inakihernandez on 02 Oct 2016, 10:37.
Last edited by mikemcgarry on 09 Feb 2017, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.
mathematical formatting
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Re: What is the value of r^2 - 2rs + s^2?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 18:39
Stem can be written as:

(r-s)^2

St 1: insufficient

St 2: sufficient

B

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: What is the value of r^2 - 2rs + s^2?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 13:00
inakihernandez wrote:
What is the value of \(r^2 - 2rs + s^2\)?

(1) \(s = 4\)
(2) \(r - s = 12\)

ohmr wrote:
By converting option one to a quadatric equation we get (r-4)& (r-4) as the two roots which means value of R=+ve4. so wouldn't the ans for this q then by D?(both statement suffice)

Dear ohmr,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you are relatively new to GMAT Club. When there's something you don't understand about a question, it's much better to post a reply and ask your question. Opening a report only appropriate if you have evidence that the question is wrong (for example, if you are familiar with the book or website where the question appears, and the way it appears here is different from the source). If it's just your own opinion that the answer is different, please discuss that in the thread itself--don't post a report.

My friend you are confused about a subtlety that confuses many people---the difference between an algebraic expression vs. an algebraic equation.
I. an algebraic expression: \(x^2 - 4x - 21\)
The variable x could take on any value on the number line, and for different values of x, this expression would take different values. In fact, we could set y equation to this expression and get the graph of a parabola.
II. an algebraic equation: \(x^2 - 4x - 21 = 0\)
Unlike (I), this is a complete mathematical sentence. On the entire number line, x = -3 and x = +7 are the only two values that satisfy the equation. These are the two values that solve the equation.

Notice that we can solve an equation---we can solve an expression!

This DS is about finding the value of an expression. It gives us an expression with two variables, and asks us to find the value of this expression.

You were treating it as if were about solving an equation, rather than evaluating an expression.

Does this distinction make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the value of r^2 - 2rs + s^2? &nbs [#permalink] 09 Feb 2017, 13:00

What is the value of r^2 - 2rs + s^2?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap