Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:40 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
GMAT 3: 640
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Goreg, I really want to celebrate you for your endevaour and strength. It is sad to hear the bad story related with your father, though..

Actually we have very similar backgrounds. I had my undergraduate study in English Language and Literature Department as well. I have the opinion of having an MBA for some time. I hope i will get a good score as yours.

I am from Turkey so I must say that I am impressed when you said that you would choose Istanbul for your test center :)

Will you tell some more about your strategy for studying on CR and RC? To what did you pay attention most when dealing with such questions?

And I would be very pleased if you talked about your study process on quantitative part..

All the best for you :king
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Goreg, my sincere condolences... You sure proved though that you have a will of iron! Considering the circumstances, you still achieved an admirable score and that is something that you should be very proud of! It is a great score and many only dream of getting that score.

Good luck with your appz and keep us posted...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great job dude! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats, nice score.
"The life is sometimes tough but you should never forget the time when life is sweet and wonderful"...my father told me that the day we burried his own father. Best wishes.

Antoine
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to all for your wishes. I plan to be a more active meber of this site from now on. I would be glad if my experience proved valuable to someone else.

Selene, it's good to hear that fellow mates from the Humanities sector are thinking of getting into the Business world. I really think that we can bring a new perspective in the area.

I think it is only normal that I selected Turkey as the place to sit for my test as Greece was not available. Mind you, there were no available dates in Cyprus at the time either, no pun intended.

Regarding my preperation:

For the verbal part, CR was always my strong part. I went through all the questions in both OG's (10 & 11) as well as the Official Verbal Supplement. At the beggining I focused on the SC and in reality studied for RC only during the last month. I think that the SC takes a lot of practice, especially when competing against native speakers that set high standards, whereas in RC pacing is the most crucial factor. I finished the Verbal part of the test with 40 secs to spare.

The quantitative part of the test was my weak spot. I went all the way as I began freshening up basic math for a couple of months before getting into practice. I also found the tips and tricks of the Princeton Review and Kaplan very helpful (backsolving, number replacement etc.) The OG is invaluable though, I went through all the questions of both guides and the supplement.

I hope you know that you can do whatever you set your sights on. Practice hard and you will see an emerging pattern as most questions are similar. Keep us informed about your progress.

G.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel wrote:
Congrats, nice score.
"The life is sometimes tough but you should never forget the time when life is sweet and wonderful"...my father told me that the day we burried his own father. Best wishes.

Antoine

Great quote... very touching!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Goreg wrote:

Selene, it's good to hear that fellow mates from the Humanities sector are thinking of getting into the Business world. I really think that we can bring a new perspective in the area.

Thanks for the reply Goreg :)
I agree with you on the new perspective for the bussiness world. I felt more confident when I took an elective course from the bussiness administration department when I was at university. If you have the will and you study, there is nothing you cannot achieve!!

Goreg wrote:
I hope you know that you can do whatever you set your sights on. Practice hard and you will see an emerging pattern as most questions are similar. Keep us informed about your progress.

G.

My concern is more with the verbal now. I want to improve my verbal as I need it. I am nervous about RC :? As to quants, I am trying my best and as you mentioned in your post, I needed the few months preperation for the basics before starting the practice.

However, I cannot find much time for my studies nowadays so I plan to postpone my exam date maybe for one year or so. I will see..

Happy to hear that you will be around more.. I am sure we will get benefit from your valuable posts..

All the best :flower
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Very inspiring story. I am blessed to be part of such a wonderful community that shares and empathizes with feelings of others.

regards
Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Goreg, my condolences for your late father.

Your story is very moving and will certainly inspire many people here in their GMAT quest.

I very much enjoyed your story about the bee and bees we all are. This community has helped me 2 years ago in my own quest and it is the reason I stayed here to help out new members as best as I could.

Keep your attitude and you will get into any school with that score.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
goreg, i like your story very much. its moving and passionate. if we don't stand for something, we will fall for anything.

"...And all I can do is read a book to stay awake / And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape..." Blind Melon / No rain (...was one of my favourite bands)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am speechless and wordless after reading your story, but I sincerely wish that my MBA class be full of people such as you, persons with tenacity, integrity and emotional intellect. I really salute your quest for excellence, bravo…
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3905 [0]
Send PM
This proves 'WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY' [#permalink]
Please accept my condolence. You have really inspired me to see the best of things even in the dullest moments. A great score like that even though may never compensate for your loss but now gives you an opportunity to fulfill a dream that could have rightly been your father's too. All the very best.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I felt compelled to post my response to this thread. This is one of the most moving stories I have heard in GMATCLUB.

Goreg, plz accept my condolences for your loss and also heartiest congrats on a gr8 score. You achieving this score in such an intense situation speaks volumes abt u as a person. With this attitude u will succeed, period!

Looking at ur score u have cracked verbal all the way. If u so choose, u can get past 750 easily under normal circumstances by increasing ur Quant score. Best of luck with ur future endeavours!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Goreg, I am sorry for your loss, and very impressed that you persevered through it. Well done, your father is very proud of you, wherever he is right now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Hong Hu, Praetorian and Paul, I want to personally address you and say that I owe you guys a lot.

Banerjee, thanks for your kind words man, but I don't think I can get a score as high as 750. I cannot perform as well people with e.g. an engineering background on the Quant section, and it is fair so. That said, in my opinion, a 650+ score demonstrates that one can perform well in an MBA course and that is what the GMAT is about, nothing more, nothing less. I would never think of retaking the test.

If the moderators of the group are interested in helping someone who cannot afford the prep material, my material is at their disposal:

- OG10
- OG11
- Official Verbal Review
- Official Quantitative Review
- Kaplan 2006 (with CD)
- Princeton Review 2006 (with CD)
- Princeton Math Workout
- Arco - Answers to the Real Essay Questions

Contact me for more info if you want guys.
G.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Goreg,

I'm writing the test tomorrow morning and your story gave me strength. I've been nervous for the past week and couldnt' sleep most nights, but your story really inspired me. No matter what happens tomorrow, there are so many things that we should treasure in our lives....a GMAT score won't make or break you.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Never never give up [#permalink]
Goreg, your story inspires me to continue my GMAT struggle.

I offer my condolences to the passing away of your father, but he must certainly be very proud of you now.

Reading your story, it teaches me that the GMAT is not about the quant section, or CR or RC, but that a GMAT score shows the MBA schools that a person can apply themselves, and get through what ever the odds.

The b-schools will be silly if they didnt accept you, as your story indicates that the MBA was made for people like you.

Best of luck in your apps.
Attachments

grossmanbird.jpg
grossmanbird.jpg [ 56.05 KiB | Viewed 4208 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
Never never give up [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts