Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 680 - A bit disappointed [#permalink]
I also got 700+ consistenly on GMATPrep, only to get 660 in the real GMAT. I stumbled on one or two questions, totally lost rythm on quantitative and had no time at the end to finish.

For SC, everyone says to get Manhattan GMAT SC, so that's what I'm getting to study. Do you have this?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
It might be possible to break 700 with a Q50, V37 (Should be about a 710), but I'm not sure you realize what that might entail. Going from a Q47 to Q50 is going to be very difficult. I actually think that by learning more of the basics you could go from V37 to V42 easier and Q47,V42 is about a 720. You might even review some of the math while you're concentratign on the verbal - and you might end up with a Q48 and low 40's Verbal which would be even better.

It's going to be far easier to improve the verbal from V37 than go a bunch higher to Q50 unless you just didn't prepare for the Quant part at all last time. Then I say go for the Quant improvement. Even going from a V37 to a V40-40 should give you a 700 - 710. I think you'll find it much easier to move 3 points from the 81% percentile to 89% or 92% in verbal than 79% which is Q47 to 94% which is Q50. See how 3 raw points in quant is a much higher percentile than 3 raw points in verbal? You're jupming 15% in quant vs. only 8 or 11% in verbal and getting the same resulting overall score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yubjun: Yes I have the Manhattan SC. I think I need to study it more deeply.

jallenmorris: I agree that breaking the 50 barrier might be much tougher than just improving my score. However, even if I do not try to improve my Quant that much, I think improving my timing on Quant in itself might be a large win simply because I never got to finish the last few questions.

What kind of study strategy would you suggest? Should I just redo the OG (last 100 questions) + Kaplan 800 and the MGMAT tests? Or something else?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I've heard not answering the last few questions can be really bad. What I was told to do was to simply guess. I believe a wrong question is viewed as not as bad as an unanswered question. Not sure if that holds true.

Definitely do the last problems in the OG.

The MGMAT tests are pretty good. I would concentrate on your timing. Set targets for your progress. Like at question 12, you should have 50 minutes left. Question 24, 25 minutes left.

You can even break it down more, but do something that allows you to know your pace.

I break it down like this:

Done with Question # = Remaining on clock
6 = 1:01 remaining
12 = 49 remaining
18 = 37 remaining
24 = 25 remaining
30 = 13 remaining
33 = 7 remaning
If I see 13 remaining and I'm not to question 30 yet, I pick up the pace and analyze the question before I start working on it. I do this to get an idea of how long I think the question will take me. Ironically, when I've thought a question will take me a long time to complete, I took 10 seconds, looked at the question and a shorter method popped into my head. Got it right AND saved time!

I hope this helps.

rahulm wrote:
yubjun: Yes I have the Manhattan SC. I think I need to study it more deeply.

jallenmorris: I agree that breaking the 50 barrier might be much tougher than just improving my score. However, even if I do not try to improve my Quant that much, I think improving my timing on Quant in itself might be a large win simply because I never got to finish the last few questions.

What kind of study strategy would you suggest? Should I just redo the OG (last 100 questions) + Kaplan 800 and the MGMAT tests? Or something else?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That helps a lot. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder