Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16872 [23]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16872 [4]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: A bus made a roundtrip journey from Madison towards Chicago [#permalink]
The bus took stoppages after every block, but there is no mention of those stoppages in the solution.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel can you check out this problem? I disagree with the provided solution (i explained my thought in the post above).
The solution seems flawed based on
1. the assumption that the first part of the journey has an even distribution of time across equal distance segments, but different rates of travel
2. The average speed of the whole trip accounts for time when the bus isn't moving.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
fireagablast wrote:
Bunuel can you check out this problem? I disagree with the provided solution (i explained my thought in the post above).
1. the assumption that the first part of the journey has an even distribution of time across equal distance segments, but different rates of travel
2. The average speed of the whole trip accounts for time when the bus isn't moving.

fireagablast ,
1. If we carefully decode the word problem, we can see that "In the onward journey the bus divided the journey time in 3 equal blocks."

2. When the bus started, the "odometer" was ON & would be stopped ONLY at the return/ destination point. So the whole time (including the halt time) will be considered here.

P.S - As there is no mention for the stoppage time, for the sake of the question, we can move on without considering the stoppage time.

Bunuel , EgmatQuantExpert and VeritasKarishma am I correct ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Send PM
bobnil wrote:
fireagablast wrote:

fireagablast ,
1. If we carefully decode the word problem, we can see that "In the onward journey the bus divided the journey time in 3 equal blocks."

2. When the bus started, the "odometer" was ON & would be stopped ONLY at the return/ destination point. So the whole time (including the halt time) will be considered here.

P.S - As there is no mention for the stoppage time, for the sake of the question, we can move on without considering the stoppage time.

I see the issue with the first highlighted part, thanks.

As for the second issue, i'm still unconvinced that the time the car is parked should be considered as part of the average speed.
If i drive from point A to point B, but stop at a hotel to sleep along the way, why would i count that time as a part of my average speed?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fireagablast wrote:
bobnil wrote:
fireagablast wrote:

fireagablast ,

I see the issue with the first highlighted part, thanks.

As for the second issue, i'm still unconvinced that the time the car is parked should be considered as part of the average speed.
If i drive from point A to point B, but stop at a hotel to sleep along the way, why would i count that time as a part of my average speed?

The question gives you:
"A bus made a roundtrip journey ..."
"Find by what amount the average speed of the whole journey of the bus is less ..."

The "journey" is the roundtrip journey.
Total "journey distance" is the total distance travelled.
Total "journey time" is the total time taken to return.
It will include the stoppage time until and unless mentioned otherwise.

If you drive from point A to B, your average speed of day 1 or day 2 will not take your overnight stay at hotel time. But your average speed for the entire journey will include the time taken for the entire journey irrespective of what you were doing in that time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts