Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 17:27 It is currently 20 May 2024, 17:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32641 [9]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65394 [5]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Re: A group of paleobotanists collected samples of sediments containing po [#permalink]

Quote:
  ­
All Data Insight question: TPA [ Official Guide DI Review 2023-24] 
A group of paleobotanists collected samples of sediments containing pollen and spores from various plant species. Each sample was analyzed to determine the number of spores in the sample, the number of pollen grains in the sample, and the species to which those spores and pollen grains belong. Samples S1 and S2 were collected and analyzed in this way. For these two samples:

• S1 had the greater total number of spores, and it contained pollen grains from Species P as well as spores from Species Q.
  • S2 had the greater total number of species represented, and all of the spores it contained were from Species Q.
Statement: Among these two samples, S1 had the greater ratio of total number of ___1___ to total number of ___2___.

Select for 1 and for 2 the options that complete the statement so that it is accurate based on the information provided. Make only two selections, one in each column.Comparison:

............S1...........................................................................S2
Higher Spores (say 100)..........................................Lower Spores (say 90)
Pollen from P............................................................. -
Spores from Q (some of the 100)...........................All spores were from Q (all 90)
Fewer Species (say 8).............................................More species (say 10)

Statement: Among these two samples, S1 had the greater ratio of total number of ___1___ to total number of ___2___

S1's ratio of Spores:Number of Species will be greater than that of S2 for sure. Why? Because it has more spores and fewer species. So numerator is greater and denominator is lower.
\(\frac{100}{8} > \frac{90}{10}\)
ANSWER: Spores : Species Represented

Will anything else work? No. How about spores:spores from Q?
For S2, that will be 90/90 = 1. For S1, it could be 1 or it could be higher. (100/100 or 100/10 etc.)

Here is a video discussing how to handle Two Part Analysis Questions

­hi @KarishmaB

i missed this one , but i am not sure where i make a mistake,please help
A group of paleobotanists collected samples of sediments containing pollen and spores from various plant species

in my opinion, the samples contain both spres and pollen
if S2 had all of the spores it contained were from Species Q, i thought S2 only had species Q, didn't have species P.

then , for me i picked 1=pollen grains from Species P, 2=pollen grains

BTY, MSR TPA, GI and TA are so tough for me.
i have no idea how to approach them.

thanks in advance

­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A group of paleobotanists collected samples of sediments containing po [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93351 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1029 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11276 posts