Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:53 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36930 [5]
Given Kudos: 5834
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 1297
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE:Law (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36930 [0]
Send PM
Re: A growing taste for shark steaks and shark-fin soup has for the first [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

6. An irony resulting from the announcement that sharks will be placed on the managed list is

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

By announcing the impending classification, the federal government ironically encourages fishermen to kill as many sharks as they can before the regulations go into effect—stimulating the opposite of what was intended, i.e., the saving of sharks.

The answer is (D).

Hope it helps

saarthakkhanna04 wrote:
can some explain why E is wrong is question 6?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Re: A growing taste for shark steaks and shark-fin soup has for the first [#permalink]
Hi, can someone explain the answer for option 4? I was thinking, that author will be rather sceptical towards the efforts implemented than being an impartial observer.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi

This is a rather easy tone question. The passage has a matter-of-fact or journalistic tone to it. So the answer is (B).

abhishek31 wrote:
Hi, can someone explain the answer for option 4? I was thinking, that author will be rather sceptical towards the efforts implemented than being an impartial observer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
can someone explain answer to question 2 why 3 rdoption is correct
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36930 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. According to the passage, a decrease in shark populations

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

This is a description question. Statement I is true. It is supported by the analogy drawn between lions and sharks (lines 6–7). This eliminates (A) and (B). Statement II is false. It is too strong an inference to draw from the information in lines 7–9. If sharks were on the verge of extinction, this “could hamper” research. But given that the author does not claim or imply that sharks are near extinction, “would hamper” is too strong. Besides, the author does not state that sharks are being used in research, just that they may be useful in that regard. This eliminates (D) and (E). Hence, by process of elimination, we have learned the answer is (C).

Hope it helps

Kanvi wrote:
can someone explain answer to question 2 why 3 rdoption is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can someone explain Question.2? It says when "one-quarter," the paragraph says "when three-quarters of cod" is fished ... "humans take that big of a bite." Hence, it would take 15 years only IF three-quarters of the current shark population is fished, right?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Explanation

This is a description question. Statement I is true. It is supported by the analogy drawn between lions and sharks (lines 6–7). This eliminates (A) and (B).

Statement II is false. It is too strong an inference to draw from the information in lines 7–8. If sharks were on the verge of extinction, this “could hamper” research. But given that the author does not claim or imply that sharks are near extinction, “would hamper” is too strong. Besides, the author does not state that sharks are being used in research, just that they may be useful in that regard. This eliminates (D) and (E). Hence, by process of elimination, we have learned the answer is (C).

Hope it helps

hkustaspirant wrote:
Can someone explain Question.2? It says when "one-quarter," the paragraph says "when three-quarters of cod" is fished ... "humans take that big of a bite." Hence, it would take 15 years only IF three-quarters of the current shark population is fished, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 521
Send PM
Explanation for question 5 please.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36930 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

5. It can be inferred from the passage that

Explanation

This is an extension question. Statement I is incorrect. Like Statement II in Question 2, it overstates the case. Statement II is correct. We know from lines 2–3 of last paragraph that some species of sharks migrate into the waters of over 20 countries. U.S. quotas alone cannot “protect” these sharks, even if the quotas reduce the rate of killing in U.S. waters. Statement III is incorrect. The environmentalists are angry at the finning fishermen who are over-fishing the waters, there is nothing in the passage to suggest that this anger is also directed towards the chefs.

The answer is (B).

Hope it helps

AniJain wrote:
Explanation for question 5 please.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 207, Date : 15-Jul-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

A growing taste for shark steaks and shark-fin soup has for the first time in 400 million years put the scourge of the sea at the wrong end of the food chain. Commercial landings of this toothsome fish have doubled every year since 1986, and shark populations are plunging. It is hardly a case of good riddance. Sharks do for gentler fish what lions do for the wildebeest: they check populations by feeding on the weak. Also, sharks apparently do not get cancer and may therefore harbor clues to the nature of that disease.

Finally, there is the issue of motherhood. Sharks are viviparous. That is, they bear their young alive and swimming (not sealed in eggs) after gestation periods lasting from nine months to two years. Shark mothers generally give birth to litters of from eight to twelve pups and bear only one litter every other year.

This is why sharks have one of the lowest fecundity rates in the ocean. The female cod, for example, spawns annually and lays a few million eggs at a time. If three quarters of the cod were to be fished this year, they could be back in full force in a few years. But if humans took that big of a bite out of the sharks, the population would not recover for 15 years.

So, late this summer, if all goes according to plan, the shark will join the bald eagle and the buffalo on the list of managed species. The federal government will cap the U.S. commercial catch at 5,800 metric tons, about half of the 1989 level, and limit sportsmen to two sharks per boat. Another provision discourages finning, the harvesting of shark fins alone, by limiting the weight of fins to 7 percent of that of all the carcasses.

Finning got under the skin of environmentalists, and the resulting anger helped to mobilize support for the new regulations. Finning itself is a fairly recent innovation. Shark fins contain noodle-like cartilaginous tissues that Chinese chefs have traditionally used to thicken and flavor soup. Over the past few years rising demand in Hong Kong has made the fins as valuable as the rest of the fish. Long strands are prized, so unusually large fins can be worth considerably more to the fisherman than the average price of about $10 a pound.

But can U.S. quotas save shark species that wander the whole Atlantic? The blue shark, for example, migrates into the waters of something like 23 countries. John G. Casey, a biologist with the National Marine Fisheries Service Research Center in Narragansett, R.I., admits that international co-ordination will eventually be necessary. But he supports U.S. quotas as a first step in mobilizing other nations. Meanwhile the commercial fishermen are not waiting for the new rules to take effect. “There’s a pre-quota rush on sharks,” Casey says, “and it’s going on as we speak.”

1. According to the passage, shark populations are at greater risk than cod populations because

(A) sharks are now being eaten more than cod.
(B) the shark reproduction rate is lower than that of the cod.
(C) sharks are quickly becoming fewer in number.
(D) sharks are now as scarce as bald eagles and buffalo.
(E) sharks are scavengers and therefore more susceptible to disease.

I. might cause some fish populations to go unchecked.
II. would hamper cancer research.
III. to one-quarter the current level would take over a decade to recover from.

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II, and III

3. If the species Homo logicus was determined to be viviparous and to have extremely low fecundity rates on land, we might expect that

(A) Homo logicus could overpopulate its niche and should be controlled.
(B) Homo logicus might be declared an endangered species.
(C) Homo logicus would pose no danger to other species and would itself be in no danger.
(D) Homo logicus would soon become extinct.
(E) None of these events would be expected with certainty.

4. Which one of the following best describes the author’s attitude toward the efforts to protect shark populations?

(A) strong advocate
(B) impartial observer
(C) opposed
(D) perplexed
(E) resigned to their ineffectiveness

5. It can be inferred from the passage that

I. research efforts on cancer will be hindered if shark populations are threatened.
II. U.S. quotas on shark fishing will have limited effectiveness in protecting certain species.
III. some practices of Chinese chefs have angered environmentalists.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

6. An irony resulting from the announcement that sharks will be placed on the managed list is

(A) we will now find out less about cancer, so in effect by saving the sharks, we are hurting ourselves.
(B) sharks are far more dangerous to other fish than we are to them.
(C) more chefs are now using the cartilaginous tissues found in shark fins.
(D) more sharks are being killed now than before the announcement.
(E) man will now protect a creature that he has been the victim of.

Source: Nova GMAT
Difficulty Level: 700

Answers:

Explanations:

1- Low reproduction rates: "This is why sharks have one of the lowest fecundity rates in the ocean.

2- I: It is hardly a case of good riddance. Sharks do for gentler fish what lions do for the wildebeest: they check populations by feeding on the weak
II:No clear clues on this.
III: If three quarters of the cod were to be fished this year, they could be back in full force in a few years. But if humans took that big of a bite out of the sharks, the population would not recover for 15 years.

3- None. Shark's decline is not because they are viviparous but because of over fishing

4- Tricky but the passage is journalistic. All opinions are generally quotes to someone other than the author

5-
I: same as question 2
II: Mr. casey's opinion in last paragraph
III: Environmentalists are angered over finning, not chefs

6- Meanwhile the commercial fishermen are not waiting for the new rules to take effect. “There’s a pre-quota rush on sharks,” Casey says, “and it’s going on as we speak.”
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13951 posts