GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2015
Posts: 107
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 00:51
1
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:07) correct 43% (01:54) wrong based on 79 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables. Table 1 can hold 6 people, table 2 can hold 4 people. If the hostess always seats people at Table 1 first and 2 seating arrangements are said to be different only when the positions of people are different relative to each other at the table, how many seating arrangements are possible?

A). 5*210
B). 15!*210
C). 120*3!
D). 5!*3!*210
E). 5!*5!*3!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7102
Re: A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 08:03
2
debbiem wrote:
A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables. Table 1 can hold 6 people, table 2 can hold 4 people. If the hostess always seats people at Table 1 first and 2 seating arrangements are said to be different only when the positions of people are different relative to each other at the table, how many seating arrangements are possible?

A). 5*210
B). 15!*210
C). 120*3!
D). 5!*3!*210
E). 5!*5!*3!


Hi debbiem,

solve by taking one step at a time..
1)since there are two tables, the hostess has to choose 6 out of 10 and the remaining 4 will go to other table..
so WAYS= 10C6=10!/6!4!=210..
2)now 6 on the Table 1 can be seated in (6-1)! ways
3)and 4 on the Table 1 can be seated in (4-1)! ways

TOTAL ways=210*5!*3!
D

_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 63
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Re: A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 07:40
chetan2u wrote:
debbiem wrote:
A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables. Table 1 can hold 6 people, table 2 can hold 4 people. If the hostess always seats people at Table 1 first and 2 seating arrangements are said to be different only when the positions of people are different relative to each other at the table, how many seating arrangements are possible?

A). 5*210
B). 15!*210
C). 120*3!
D). 5!*3!*210
E). 5!*5!*3!


Hi debbiem,

solve by taking one step at a time..
1)since there are two tables, the hostess has to choose 6 out of 10 and the remaining 4 will go to other table..
so WAYS= 10C6=10!/6!4!=210..
2)now 6 on the Table 1 can be seated in (6-1)! ways
3)and 4 on the Table 1 can be seated in (4-1)! ways

TOTAL ways=210*5!*3!
D


Can someone explain steps 2 and 3 please?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Sep 2016
Posts: 115
Re: A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 09:23
vmelgargalan wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
debbiem wrote:
A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables. Table 1 can hold 6 people, table 2 can hold 4 people. If the hostess always seats people at Table 1 first and 2 seating arrangements are said to be different only when the positions of people are different relative to each other at the table, how many seating arrangements are possible?

A). 5*210
B). 15!*210
C). 120*3!
D). 5!*3!*210
E). 5!*5!*3!


Hi debbiem,

solve by taking one step at a time..
1)since there are two tables, the hostess has to choose 6 out of 10 and the remaining 4 will go to other table..
so WAYS= 10C6=10!/6!4!=210..
2)now 6 on the Table 1 can be seated in (6-1)! ways
3)and 4 on the Table 1 can be seated in (4-1)! ways

TOTAL ways=210*5!*3!
D


Can someone explain steps 2 and 3 please?



Because in a circular arrangement (using table 1 as an example) the seating arraignments for 123456 and 234561 are considered to be the same compared to a linear arraignment. Subtracting 1 removes the "double dipping".
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9130
Premium Member
Re: A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 10:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables. &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jun 2018, 10:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A hostess must seat 10 people around 2 circular tables.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.