GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A new cancer drug, whose development depends on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
A new cancer drug, whose development depends on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:00) correct 17% (01:17) wrong based on 70 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A new cancer drug, whose development depends on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades.

A. A new cancer drug, whose development depends on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades.

B. The development of a new cancer drug is expected to be available to general public in next two decades because of its dependence on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience.

C. The development of a new cancer drug is expected to be available to general public in next two decades and it depends on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience.

D. The development of a new cancer drug, dependent on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades.

E. A new cancer drug, with its development dependent on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades.

Source: ExpertGlobal

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new cancer drug, whose development depends on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:09
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:24
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Please experts explain why A is correct?

A. A new cancer drug, whose development depends on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades.

B. The development of a new cancer drug is expected to be available to general public in next two decades because of its dependence on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience. --> It is not the development that is expected to be available. It is the drug that is expected to be available.

C. The development of a new cancer drug is expected to be available to general public in next two decades and it depends on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience. -->Same as B

D. The development of a new cancer drug, dependent on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public -->Same as B

E. A new cancer drug, with its development dependent on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades. --> Drug along with something else. Incorrect meaning.
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:27
abhimahna wrote:
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Please experts explain why A is correct?

B. The development of a new cancer drug is expected to be available to general public in next two decades because of its dependence on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience. --> It is not the development that is expected to be available. It is the drug that is expected to be available.

C. The development of a new cancer drug is expected to be available to general public in next two decades and it depends on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience. -->Same as B

D. The development of a new cancer drug, dependent on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public -->Same as B

E. A new cancer drug, with its development dependent on various scientific advances in molecular chemistry and neuroscience, is expected to be available to general public in next two decades. --> Drug along with something else. Incorrect meaning.

"whose" is used for human only?
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:32
nguyendinhtuong wrote:

Hi nguyendinhtuong ,

No, whose can be used for things as well.

Here are a few more examples:

Whose socks are these?
The cat, whose fur was shaved before the surgery, is starting to look normal again.
The teacher whose students score highest on the exam will get a bonus.

Check this link for more help : https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ate-object
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:41
abhimahna wrote:
nguyendinhtuong wrote:

Hi nguyendinhtuong ,

No, whose can be used for things as well.

Here are a few more examples:

Whose socks are these?
The cat, whose fur was shaved before the surgery, is starting to look normal again.
The teacher whose students score highest on the exam will get a bonus.

Check this link for more help : https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ate-object

In Manhattan SC Guide 5th, page 87: "Surprisingly, the pronoun whose can modify either people or things, according to the GMAT: the town whose water supply was contaminated."

Hence, who/whom is used for human only. whose is used for both human and things. This really surprises me :-D

Thank you, abhimahna :-D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:43
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Hence, who/whom is used for human only. whose is used for both human and things. This really surprises me :-D

Yes, that is true. I have seen a couple of official questions in which whose is used for things.

It is different from who/whom usage.
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:49
abhimahna wrote:
nguyendinhtuong wrote:

Yes, that is true. I have seen a couple of official questions in which whose is used for things.

Yes, I will list such questions here for others to avoid future mistake as me :lol:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1988-the- ... 08363.html
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 04:46
abhimahna wrote:
nguyendinhtuong wrote:

Please note that "whose" can be used for either people or in-animates / things.

In fact "whose" is the possessive form of "who", "which", or "that". Moreover, "whose" can refer to either a singular or a plural.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 10:34
Here's another official question featuring "whose": https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-contrast- ... 87860.html

And just a friendly reminder: please please please include your sources whenever you post a new question! This one clearly has some problems, including a missing article before "next two decades." Sure, the "whose" point is definitely useful, but it's important for everybody to know where the questions are coming from, especially if they contain obvious errors...

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A new cancer drug, whose development depends on   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2017, 10:34

A new cancer drug, whose development depends on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap