Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [95]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [29]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [22]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Send PM
Re: A zero-CO2 U.S. economy can be achieved within the next thirty to fift [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Interesting discussion so far!

4 for C and 1 for E. No takers for others.

Well, as the title says, it's a tricky one :) An option that seems most relevant on the face of it may not be the right one :wink:

-Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A zero-CO2 U.S. economy can be achieved within the next thirty to fift [#permalink]
I think E fits the bill. C is close, but it talks about availability of technology at present. The argument is about something to be happening in next 20 -30 years.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone,

I'll be posting the OA tonight.

Just a teaser right now :) - Only a couple of guys on this thread have selected the correct choice.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NTU '15 (S)
GPA: 3.08
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I'll be posting the OA tonight.

Just a teaser right now :) - Only a couple of guys on this thread have selected the correct choice.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

The answer is clearly E

C. With the use of current technologies, what proportion of electricity generated through wind energy can be stored for use at future times when wind may not be blowing?
D. Are there strong corporate lobbies which will strongly oppose any move to substitute non-renewable sources of energy?
E. What proportion of wind energy is available only at inaccessible areas?

In ques E if it's assumed that 100% of wind energy is located at inaccessible areas clearly this will weaken the argument.If it's assumed that 0% of wind energy is located at inaccessible areas the argument would be strengthened.Hence E

Problem C talks about the future possibility of wind energy not being available.The argument does not talk about this situation .Hence this is out of scope.

Kudos if you find this explanation useful ;)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OA has been posted. It is option E. People in this thread who chose option E have given correct explanations for the same.

Let me know if anyone still has doubts :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
egmat wrote:
OA has been posted. It is option E. People in this thread who chose option E have given correct explanations for the same.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Can we discuss why C is not the correct answer. I want to discuss so that I can have more clear thought process.

Regards,
Himanshu
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Can we discuss why C is not the correct answer. I want to discuss so that I can have more clear thought process.

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

Good that you brought this up. A lot of students marked choice C.

C. With the use of current technologies, what proportion of electricity generated through wind energy can be stored for use at future times when wind may not be blowing?

So, option C asks what proportion of electricity can be stored?

Now, tell me what proportion do we want?

The answer is: We don't know.

Nowhere the passage talks about the times in which wind is not blowing. If the passage had said. let's say, that the wind does not blow for one month every year, then in that case, we would have wanted to store 1/11th of the electricity. In that case, it might have made sense to know how much electricity we can store.

But the given passage does not talk about a scenario in which the wind does not blow. Rather, we don't even know if there is a period in which doesn't blow. Probably, the wind blows all the time. We don't know. In such a scenario, option C does not help us evaluate the argument.

On the other hand, option E is extremely relevant to the argument. We require 40% of wind energy. Right? How much can we access? Less than or more than 40%? This is what option E asks.

Frankly, option C was specially crafted with a lot of relevant and common sense words to confuse students :wink: and placed before the correct choice so that when students read the correct choice, they read it with a bias against the correct choice (because in their mind, they have already found the correct choice) :wink:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Dear E-Gmat,

I see the same behavior of GMAC to put the wrong answer choice just before or slighty above the OA again & again.
Are there any particular tricks or technics that will help us avoid these traps?

THX!
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
lucbesson wrote:
Dear E-Gmat,

I see the same behavior of GMAC to put the wrong answer choice just before or slighty above the OA again & again.
Are there any particular tricks or technics that will help us avoid these traps?

THX!

Hi,

I think given that there are five choices in a GMAT question and if each has equal probability of being the correct choice, then in 80% of the cases, a wrong choice will appear before the correct choice. Some of these wrong choices will be trickier also. So, I don't see any unexpected pattern here.

Besides, we don't really focus on tricks at eGMAT. Rather, I will caution you against depending on any tricks. I believe that the logical part of your brain should be calling all the shots when you sit for GMAT. If you keep worrying about the set of tricks you learnt, then that would only hamper the free functioning of the logical brain and would negatively impact your score. Just sharing my honest opinion with you.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
A zero-CO2 U.S. economy can be achieved within the next thirty to fifty years without the use of nuclear power. The U.S. renewable energy resource base is vast and practically untapped. Available wind energy resources in 12 Midwestern and Rocky Mountain states equal about 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the United States. Given that we can satisfy our electricity needs by harnessing only 40% of the wind energy resources in these 12 states, it is extremely likely that we will be able to do away with CO2.

The entire argument boils down to the fact that only 40% of the wind energy resources would be required to satisfy the electricity needs of the country => It's likely we will be able to do away with the CO2.
Quote:
The only way this master plan would NOT work is if the wind energy is in inaccessible areas -> This is what I thought as soon as I read the argument.

Which of the following would be most useful to evaluate the above argument?
Quote:
A. What is the amount of wind energy resources available in rest of the states in the United States?
Argument already states that the 12 states have 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the US. SO this is irrelevant. OUT!

Quote:
B. Are there any other renewable energy resources such as solar power, which can be used?

We are only concerned with Wind Energy. OUT!

Quote:

Current Tech isn't a part of this discussion. Plus, I really don't think the proportion of electricity that can be stored has anything to do with the author's claim that we can do away with CO2

Quote:
D. Are there strong corporate lobbies which will strongly oppose any move to substitute non-renewable sources of energy?

This was a close second for me. Even if they do strongly oppose, they might not be able to win the bill, or it's equivalent, so this options leaves a lot to be desired. Good try but OUT!

Quote:

If majority of the wind energy is ONLY available at inaccessible areas then we will not be able to do away with CO2.
This is the correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Here's another question from e-GMAT. It is an evaluate question type, which, as experience of recent test takers suggest, is becoming more important on GMAT.

Share your answers with analysis. Looking forward to a healthy discussion :)

A zero-CO2 U.S. economy can be achieved within the next thirty to fifty years without the use of nuclear power. The U.S. renewable energy resource base is vast and practically untapped. Available wind energy resources in 12 Midwestern and Rocky Mountain states equal about 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the United States. Given that we can satisfy our electricity needs by harnessing only 40% of the wind energy resources in these 12 states, it is extremely likely that we will be able to do away with CO2.

Which of the following would be most useful to evaluate the above argument?

A. What is the amount of wind energy resources available in rest of the states in the United States?
B. Are there any other renewable energy resources such as solar power, which can be used?

-Chiranjeev Singh

A very good questio from Egamt

The answer is E

To correctly evaluate the conclusion that US will do away with CO2 we need to shown that the wind energy resources available in the said areas are accessible .
If they are not accessible then they can not be harnessed and US will not be able to achieve is commitment .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Initially I was confused between C & E , but ended up choosing C .
Somehow ,I believe that the Ans -E would have been the best choice , had it stated that - How much wind energy availablE in inaccessible areas in MRM staes ( those particular 12 states ) .

I went to tick C because I thought the E option sounded too generic , no where it was mentioned about MRM states . The E option is written in such a manner that I thought it is referring to calculate the percentage of inaccessible sources out of whole lot ( USA ) not just those MRM states ( 12 states)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Availability of wind energy in 12 states is 2.5 times of entire energy production from other sources. Ok.
We need only 40% of wind energy. ok.

Now first question sparked in my mind- what is difference between production and availability of product or services at point of use.
Both are different. It is not necessary that what is produced is equally usable or accessible.
Option E hit the same concept.

In option C, how much wind energy can be stored doesn't help evaluate the argument.

E is answer.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Swapi wrote:
Initially I was confused between C & E , but ended up choosing C .
Somehow ,I believe that the Ans -E would have been the best choice , had it stated that - How much wind energy availablE in inaccessible areas in MRM staes ( those particular 12 states ) .

I went to tick C because I thought the E option sounded too generic , no where it was mentioned about MRM states . The E option is written in such a manner that I thought it is referring to calculate the percentage of inaccessible sources out of whole lot ( USA ) not just those MRM states ( 12 states)

I hope the confusion is cleared now!

It makes no difference in the context to mention only MRM states rather than the whole of United States here because reading in the context, it has to talk only about regions in which there are wind resources existing. And that means the MRM states and wherever else wind resource is available for the US states. It does not have to be only the MRM states, strictly speaking :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts