Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 18:18 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 18:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38302 [16]
Given Kudos: 5849
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [2]
Given Kudos: 328
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38302 [4]
Given Kudos: 5849
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: According to the BBC's The Blue Planet: Seas of Life documentary, "mor [#permalink]
Notice the efforts that have been proliferated for space travel in comparison to deep ocean realm.

There exists 200 to 600 times the pressure in deep ocean than the pressure on the surface level—enough to crush a submarine.

This indication means, to me, that further exploration of the deep ocean realm rests on the capabilities of scientists to create a device that can withstand the pressure of the deep ocean and on if the earth has the resources needed to undergo such an experiment.

Which makes deep exploration a bit more intriguing. —> (Opinion) I could be feeling the mimosa from brunch.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2836 [2]
Given Kudos: 1511
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: According to the BBC's The Blue Planet: Seas of Life documentary, "mor [#permalink]
Kudos
Question 1. It can be inferred from the passage that fewer people have traveled to the bottom of the ocean than to the moon primarily because of which factor?
Analysis: The passage States that the reason behind the explorers not going on frequent exploration of sea is the lack of sunlight, unequally cold temperature, and water pressure dangerous enough to crush submarines.
Among all 3, water pressure is the lethal factor, which is stopping explorers to limit their underwater travelling.

A. Distance (Vast Distance is covered in space exploration too)(Incorrect)
B. Temperature(unstable temperature is present in space too)(Incorrect)
C. Cost(Cost was never a determining factor in passage)(Incorrect)
D. Water pressure (Correct)
E. Scientific interest(not discussed)(Incorrect)

Answer is D

Question 2. The author mentions tube worms in order to
Analysis: Tube worm example is shown to discuss the non existent vaccum in their body which allows them to survive the environment under water.

A. provide an example of a creature that lives near hydrothermal vents.(Partly true, but not the only reason)(Incorrect)
B. support the claim that deep-sea organisms have made adaptations to their environment.(Correct)
C. describe an organism with large eyes and a keen sense of smell.(Nope, body structure is not a considerable factor in passage)(Incorrect)
D. show how deep-sea organisms cope with extremely cold water conditions.(Tube worm lives near hot water source) (Incorrect)
E. explain why most sea creatures are unable to live at great depths.(The majority of population below terrestrial land consist of tube worm)(Incorrect)

Answer is B

Qiestion 3. According to the passage, marine ""snow"" comes from
Analysis: According to the passage, Snow refers to the "dead plant and animal matter and wastes that have fallen from the surface waters over millions of years." Which is collected as sediments on Sea bed.

A. hydrothermal vents.(They are not the fallen bodies discussed) (Incorrect)
B. toxic waste and pollution.(Not pollution but organisms) (Incorrect)
C. bioluminescent fish.(Not the sole reason for 'snow' collection at seabed) (Incorrect)
D. sulfur-loving bacteria.(Nope, living organisms)
E. organic material from surface waters.(Yes, plants and animals are organic materials fallen on seabed as snow according to the passage)

Answer is E

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
MrBaby wrote:
So surprised that I am the first reply here. ;)

I know that this passage is so easy for most of you, but I am still incorrect in question 1, my choices between D and E, but finally I chose E. :(

Can anyone help me explain why D in question 1?

Thanks in advance!

a.distance can be achieved
b.they can take care of temperature as well
c.cost is never an issue
d. they cannot cope up with that much pressure. So, this is the reason
e. scientists are very interested that`s why they are making efforts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
MrBaby wrote:
So surprised that I am the first reply here. ;)

I know that this passage is so easy for most of you, but I am still incorrect in question 1, my choices between D and E, but finally I chose E. :(

Can anyone help me explain why D in question 1?

Thanks in advance!

To add to what others have said

If you were stuck between D and E- the last line of the passage could give a hint that it is due to the lack of technology that there have been fewer deep sea exploration than space exploration.
I picked D over E using the above logic.

As deep-sea exploration technology advances, scientists are learning more about the fascinating world of the abyss.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 876 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14003 posts