Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:01 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink]
tdave wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:
masscool wrote:
Hehe. Sorry but I can't help but chuckle to that response. The two gyms are on campus and most students have the fortunate gift of two legs. I'm not sure where you went to college, or if you expect a butler at booth to make you a latte every morning, but that's a really funny statement - "so why didn't you go to booth? Your career was going too well, you got into HBS with $$$? What could it be?" "well - the gym was too far from my accounting class, I just can't deal with that!"

Posted from my mobile device

Hah, I knew it was a ridiculous point, but I despise walking through slush more than anything else in life. It's not a deciding factor in which school to attend, but it may be a deciding factor in where I'll end up living.

Your building will probably have a gym but if you require advanced fitness equipment, you can choose to live @ Hyde Park close to campus. If you don't like walking through slush, you might want limit your school options to the West Coast or other warm climes. You really can't completely avoid slush in Chicago even if you drive everywhere.

It's a trade-off. As one might infer from my profile, it was certainly a big consideration for me. But I love Booth's curriculum, and can deal with the slush as long as I take measures to mitigate it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
My theory is that I don't hate slush yet only because I am yet to experience slush.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Economics / Statistics
Schools:Chicago Booth ($$$) , Sloan, Kellogg, Wharton
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.95 undergrad
WE 1: Commercial Banking
WE 2: Computer Hardware
WE 3: MRO
Send PM
bonethugnhominy wrote:
Hah, I knew it was a ridiculous point, but I despise walking through slush more than anything else in life. It's not a deciding factor in which school to attend, but it may be a deciding factor in where I'll end up living.

Your building will probably have a gym but if you require advanced fitness equipment, you can choose to live @ Hyde Park close to campus. If you don't like walking through slush, you might want limit your school options to the West Coast or other warm climes. You really can't completely avoid slush in Chicago even if you drive everywhere.[/quote]

It's a trade-off. As one might infer from my profile, it was certainly a big consideration for me. But I love Booth's curriculum, and can deal with the slush as long as I take measures to mitigate it.[/quote]

As a Chicago-lifer, I can tell you that one good pair of boots will eliminate any concern you have for slush. I don't even think about it anymore...I'll wade through anything and come out bone dry.

So yeah, invest in Boots and come to Booth!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wushu2280 wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:

Your building will probably have a gym but if you require advanced fitness equipment, you can choose to live @ Hyde Park close to campus. If you don't like walking through slush, you might want limit your school options to the West Coast or other warm climes. You really can't completely avoid slush in Chicago even if you drive everywhere.

It's a trade-off. As one might infer from my profile, it was certainly a big consideration for me. But I love Booth's curriculum, and can deal with the slush as long as I take measures to mitigate it.[/quote]

As a Chicago-lifer, I can tell you that one good pair of boots will eliminate any concern you have for slush. I don't even think about it anymore...I'll wade through anything and come out bone dry.

So yeah, invest in Boots and come to Booth![/quote]

So do you carry the boots around in your bag? I don't intend to have a car @ Booth and I am not sure I like the idea of logging around heavy boots all winter. Of course, this is a none-issue for Chicagoans with cars.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
tdave wrote:
So do you carry the boots around in your bag? I don't intend to have a car @ Booth and I am not sure I like the idea of logging around heavy boots all winter. Of course, this is a none-issue for Chicagoans with cars.

I don't carry the boots around in my bag. Actually, I'm imagining that I'll wear them on my feel while outdoors and carry my normal shoes in my bag. I'll take off the boots and put them in my locker (I believe all students get one) once I get indoors.

But you know what does suck about this? If other people have the same idea, sometimes you will step in wet spots on the carpet. Your socks will have a wet spot on them, and now you are talking about MY pet peeve...I HATE wet socks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey all,
recently got onto this site and am finding it pretty helpful.
One quick question that I have yet to see noted in the applicant /accepted blog. (It may be there but I only did a quick skim of the last few pages so i apologize if this has been asked)

Does anyone know how difficult it is to have a dog in Chicago / while attending Booth?
I have a dog and am considering bringing him but given the first quarter's apparent hectic schedule it may just be easier to leave him with the parents.
Are there groups in the Lakeshore East area that provide dog walking services within that community?

Thanks a ton. Reading this site for the first time makes going to Booth all the more exciting
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Booth2010STL wrote:
Hey all,
recently got onto this site and am finding it pretty helpful.
One quick question that I have yet to see noted in the applicant /accepted blog. (It may be there but I only did a quick skim of the last few pages so i apologize if this has been asked)

Does anyone know how difficult it is to have a dog in Chicago / while attending Booth?
I have a dog and am considering bringing him but given the first quarter's apparent hectic schedule it may just be easier to leave him with the parents.
Are there groups in the Lakeshore East area that provide dog walking services within that community?

Thanks a ton. Reading this site for the first time makes going to Booth all the more exciting

Well, I have a dog and I refuse to give him up. I know there are a bunch of students who have a pooch as well. I'm not sure about the LakeShore East dog walking services, but I do know that the buildings in lakeshore east have breed and size restrictions (I think they are capped at 40 lbs).

I don't think it will be too hectic to have a dog while at school, but I guess that depends on you and your dog.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)
Send PM
Did anyone else have issues logging into the admitted student's website this weekend? When I try to log in, I just get a blank log in page again when I click log in.

Never mind, it works on my old lap top. Must be some sort of setting issue on my new one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
For total disaster days (e.g. 4 ft of snow, mile long walk): https://www.overshoe.com/

For slushy days while trekking in a suit and tie so you dont destroy those nice leather shoes you have, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TINGLEYS%C2%AE-St ... B001O50E60

There are many such products (that one is a bit ugly), I can't remember who makes mine, but its a form fitting slip that you can barely see... works great for getting to campus from your car in a suit without worrying about the slush. As an added bonus its thin and flexible so its very easy to take off and throw into a backpack.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mo Money Mo Mentum!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
GMAT 2: 680  Q44  V38
GPA: 3.877
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Send PM
My first post on the admitted forum!!!! Can't wait to see all of you this autumn. Has the R3 admit weekend already been held?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
robertrdzak wrote:
My first post on the admitted forum!!!! Can't wait to see all of you this autumn. Has the R3 admit weekend already been held?

Yayyy. Congrats!

There are only 2 admit weekends and they are long gone. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't believe there is an R3 admit weekend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
The "passport" photos that we're to mail in for the student directory - ideally, should one wear professional dress for these, i.e. jacket/tie for a dude? What exactly are they used for?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
booof1042 wrote:
The "passport" photos that we're to mail in for the student directory - ideally, should one wear professional dress for these, i.e. jacket/tie for a dude? What exactly are they used for?

Oops! I totally forgot about those!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think it's for an internal facebook.

I don't think you should wear a suit, but don't have a picture of you at a party either.

A polo and a smile sound about right.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5