Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:50 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [44]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [12]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644235 [5]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Aeronautical engineer: Often when a person is disappointed that a soci [#permalink]
Kudos
I would choose C.

I struggled a little with A too, but I think the second cannot be 'evidence'.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 391 [5]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
Re: Aeronautical engineer: Often when a person is disappointed that a soci [#permalink]
Kudos
Key here is to figure out the right conclusion.

Most of us fell for the wrong conclusion i.e. the red part, which is NOT the main conclusion. It is only the Intermediate conclusion.
Right or the Main conclusion is the the green part.

Go for the "Therefore Test", whenever stuck between two candidates for a conclusion.
i.e. Since conclusion A exists, therefore there is a Conclusion B.
OR
Since conclusion B exists, therefore there is a Conclusion A.

Thus, only option E is right. Not options A and C.

bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Aeronautical engineer: Often when a person is disappointed that a social issue has not been solved, she will say “we can put a man on the moon, but we cannot…” and then mention that issue. What these people overlook is that landing a man on the moon is a much less complicated task than they realize. The moon travels a fixed, predictable orbit and obeys the laws of physics. Landing a man on the moon only required scientists to synchronize two objects, the moon and the space shuttle. Many social issues are far more complex than putting a man on the moon, as they require the synchronizations of millions of people and their competing interests.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
a) The first is the conclusion of the argument; the second is evidence for that conclusion.
The conclusion was about the complication of the political cases and the moon mission

b) The first offers a belief that undermines a commonly held view; the second provides justification for that commonly held view.
The second half is wrong since it's against commonly held belief

c) The first outlines the author’s unconventional stance on an issue; the second provides justification for that stance.
What's conventional and unconventional is subjective and we cannot decide hence out

d) The first is an opinion that the author uses to undermine a commonly held view; the second is the author's conclusion.
Sexond half was never the conclusion as stated in A

e) The first is a belief that the author uses in support of his conclusion; the second is evidence that supports that conclusion
Exactly what the argument seeks to establish
Hence IMO E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Crytiocanalyst wrote:
a) The first is the conclusion of the argument; the second is evidence for that conclusion.
The conclusion was about the complication of the political cases and the moon mission

b) The first offers a belief that undermines a commonly held view; the second provides justification for that commonly held view.
The second half is wrong since it's against commonly held belief

c) The first outlines the author’s unconventional stance on an issue; the second provides justification for that stance.
What's conventional and unconventional is subjective and we cannot decide hence out

d) The first is an opinion that the author uses to undermine a commonly held view; the second is the author's conclusion.
Sexond half was never the conclusion as stated in A

e) The first is a belief that the author uses in support of his conclusion; the second is evidence that supports that conclusion
Exactly what the argument seeks to establish
Hence IMO E

The option E is right but I think conventional means something that is more common and the passage says "often" so the view can be termed "conventional"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Aeronautical engineer: Often when a person is disappointed that a social issue has not been solved, she will say “we can put a man on the moon, but we cannot…” and then mention that issue. What these people overlook is that landing a man on the moon is a much less complicated task than they realize. The moon travels a fixed, predictable orbit and obeys the laws of physics. Landing a man on the moon only required scientists to synchronize two objects, the moon and the space shuttle. Many social issues are far more complex than putting a man on the moon, as they require the synchronizations of millions of people and their competing interests.

In the aeronautical engineer’s argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
e) The first is a belief that the author uses in support of his conclusion; the second is evidence that supports that conclusion.​

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

With boldface Critical Reasoning questions, it is imperative that you understand the argument as a whole. Challenge-level problems often include a good deal of nuance in the non-bold type, rewarding those who digest the entire argument rather than simply race to the bolded areas.

Here you should take a moment to reflect on what the author is really trying to convey. The author discusses both the moon landing and the challenge of solving social issues, all under the context of the common phrase "we can put a man on the moon, but we cannot _____." Importantly, the author's conclusion must therefore encompass both items: it's essentially "solving social issues is harder than you think, whereas landing a man on the moon is easier than solving those issues would be."

For this reason, choice A is incorrect. The conclusion isn't merely about travel to the moon being easier than one would think - it must also include the challenge related to solving social issues.

Choice B is also incorrect. While it accurately describes the first boldfaced section (which is, indeed, a belief that undermines a commonly-held view), the second portion clearly does not support that view. That commonly-held view is "landing a man on the moon is hard" whereas the second boldfaced section is evidence for "solving social issues is hard."

Choice C is similarly wrong. While the first portion - landing a man on the moon isn't as hard as people think - could certainly be described as an unconventional belief, the second doesn't support that view. It supports the second half of the author's conclusion, about solving social issues.

Choice D also starts out with a quality description of the first boldfaced portion, but the second is incorrect: the second boldfaced section supports the author's main point, but it is not the author's main point.

Choice E is correct. Remember, the author's conclusion is essentially the first half of the last sentence, "many social issues are far more complex than putting a man on the moon." So the first boldfaced portion certainly works as a belief he uses support for that conclusion, as he believes that moon travel is easier than people think. And the second is justification for the second half of that conclusion, as he details reasons that social issues are challenging to solve. Both halves of choice E are correct descriptions, so choice E is correct.

Hi,

C option depicts that "the first BF outlines the authors view" which means First BF summarises in a way the authors view and second BF is providing justification for that stance. Please guide where am i going wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 230
Send PM
Could someone please explain this - in E, 2nd statement is referred to an evidence but is it really an evidence or just belief. Could someone please explain the meaning of term “evidencein gmat

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q90 V80 DI72
Send PM
I agree that this BF2 is not an evidence. It should be C.
Paulli1982 wrote:
I would choose C.

­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
K-ja wrote:
I agree that this BF2 is not an evidence. It should be C.
Paulli1982 wrote:
I would choose C.

­

­Why do you think BF2 is not an evidence? I think, anything which has been used to support a conclusion can be called ''evidence''
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts