It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2011, 04:29
fluke wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
subhashghosh wrote:

My take on D;
It says "The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure"
which means the structure was unknown prior to discovery. hence what we were using in lab may /maynot be the right form and structure?
so may be the ones thats found now has doesnt require distinctive remparature and prssure condition.
hence weakens..

I just have one complaint sudhir:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite.

This statement about fullerenes should have been presented in a different way.

Such as,
One type of fullernes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-
OR
scientists after analysis found that these molecules were spherical in structure.

But, it rather presented the information in this way
fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-

Thus, I am to believe that fullerenes will always have spherical structure.

Like saying
water-a substance who molecule contains 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom-

I will believe that All water will have the same structure. Now, someone tells me in Mars, water contains 2atoms of nitrogen and 2 helium. I will say, the earlier fact was not properly conveyed then.

When it is on earth, water -a substance who molecule contains 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom-

You see where my confusion is.

Yes I agree with you.. not a very well written arguement !!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2011, 11:49
Tough question
This might sound bit out of scope but molecular formula and crystalline structure are two different things. Two substances with same molecular formula but different crystalline structure exhibit different properties and hence are not same. That is what this questions implies over here.
I just wonder how many can actually think this much on the gmat day.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 15:46
Notice the premise talks about the synthesis of fullerenes in lab with known structure, and the conclusion talks about the evaluation of hypothesis on the basis of fullerenes formation in nature. The argument is inherently weak. In this case, information regarding the temp and pressure of naturally forming fullerenes needs to be known, hence the author assumes similar structure of molecules in both cases.

squeakvm

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2011, 23:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of carbon - were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

a) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation

b) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.

c) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.

d) The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure

e) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions.

OA is d. Is there anybody who can explain why the answer is d ? I literally cannot understand this question.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: fullerene [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2011, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="eybrj2"]Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of carbon - were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust (CONCLUSION)at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed.

any statemet that proves that the temperature and pressure conditions MIGHT NOT BE SAME for the naturally occurng and lab versions of fullerene will be the correct answer.

a) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation so? at the end it was confirmed tht it was fullerene. doesnt affect conclusion
b) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft. The qs is about finding conditions on eart's crust, not metiorites. It specifically mentioned tht the fullerens were FORMED on the mineral rocks
c) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed. doesnt make any difference to the conclusion
d) The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure CORRECT THE CRYSTALLINE STRUCTURES ARE DIFFERENT...THEREFOR THE PRESSURE TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT
e) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions.
. doesnt make any difference to the conclusion

Truthfully speaking...I dont think its a fair qs..... I had the preknowledge that crystal structure formation is directly responsible on the temp/pressure conditions...and different conditions may result in different structures. A person not knowing this might have difficulty in solving this problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2011, 23:28
A was found in laboratory first then in nature as well. Premise: Since A needs specific temperature and pressure, it will help explain hypothesis about nature.

A) The fact that A was in nature as well was thoroughly verified--- out of scope
B) A was found in meteorite as well- out of scope
C) A was formed from B --out of scope
D) A in nature is different than A in laboratory - the correct one
E) A needs special circumstances to form- put of scope

Hope it helps

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2011, 23:34
this one is super tricky-this is the 2nd time i m seeing this prob n getting ti worng
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2011, 03:45
+1 for choice D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
WE: Architecture (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2012, 06:31
bigfernhead wrote:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occuring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?
A) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D) The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
E) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions

I have seen that OA is D.
The formation of the molecule need not just depend on Temp and Pressure.
Given the same Temp and Pressure, with different humidity or acidity in the air the structure of the molecule could change.
So just by saying you have an unknown crystalline structure cannot undermine the fact that the two processes could have happened at the same Temp and Pressure.

Whereas B, gives a new perspective on the issue telling, fullerenes are also found on outer space.
This clearly points out that there could be an unknown factor in the creation of fullerene molecules. If I personalize the argument and think in the view point of a scientist, then B seriously weakens the situation.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 19:27
this is indeed a tough one, I guessed it also wrong. After I read the explanation, it seems quite obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2012, 17:24
Really hope that I wont see this kind of question on test day
9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2012, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of carbon - were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed. Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

A. Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation
B. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure
E. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Last edited by Zarrolou on 10 May 2013, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Re: Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2012, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS
shikhar wrote:
Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of carbon - were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed. Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

A. Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation
B. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure

Its D as the structure present in lab is different from the previous one and hence the conclusion is weakened

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2012, 02:52
what does the word previously means here ??
I thought it meant that the structure was not known earlier but now its known...
if i remove previously form option D it is clearly the answer.

Please clarify ...

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
shikhar wrote:
what does the word previously means here ??
I thought it meant that the structure was not known earlier but now its known...
if i remove previously form option D it is clearly the answer.

Please clarify ...

Basically the thing is :
F found in lab first then in nature, as they can be synthesized in lab argument concludes that okay it is possible to know something about the earth's state when these naturally occurring F were found. But what about if geologists dont know there structure prior to the point when discovery was made then its useless having F in lab. Because its no concrete source to make the conclusion.

Previously Unknown means before the discovery nothing about the structure is known. Hence if nothing is known till that point we cant say anything regarding the conclusion and hence conclusion stands is weakened.

Hope this helps..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2012, 14:11
Hm I had guessed E, but I see why that's wrong, since the paragraph itself says that the synthesis requires distinctive conditions, hence it cannot be the answer.

D makes sense now.

OA?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2012, 02:24
I also agree with the choice D, and the explanation of the guys above is enough for this question. Nice question. Thank all guys

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 04:44
This post received
KUDOS
shikhar wrote:

Why can't the answer be B? The very fact that a meteorite also contained F implies that a similar meteorite could have collided with Earth and caused F to be inducted into Earth's crust artificially. So, studying this might not necessarily tell anything about Earth !!!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
I can't understand either of options (except C, but that with a long shot) weakening the conclusion.

Argument says : Because F could be formed in Lab in distinctive conditions (of temperature and pressure), We should be able to evaluate earth crust's conditions as well at the time of these Fs formed naturally. So, It's essentially assuming F can be formed in a specific set of conditions.

Let's evaluate Options :
=> Not Related - No Impact

=> Even if some were found in a small meteorite, it doesn't impact the argument. Because that small meteorite may also have similar conditions as Lab had when F were formed.

=> This makes a little sense for me because it gives an alternative reason to believe why F formed naturally had something special (large amount of carbon) which may not be there in the lab. So we might be able to say those conditions in which F formed may not be same/ similar in Lab and earth-crust.

=> Even if naturally occurring F are in crystalline structure unknown earlier, it is know now. And it doesn't give me any reason to say naturally occurring F would have different structure than the structure of Lab-formed F.
I can't understand how it would weaken the argument

=> Already stated a s part of premise, so essentially it's strengthening the argument, not weakening.

I'd appreciate expert views on this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS
paragkan wrote:
shikhar wrote:

Why can't the answer be B? The very fact that a meteorite also contained F implies that a similar meteorite could have collided with Earth and caused F to be inducted into Earth's crust artificially. So, studying this might not necessarily tell anything about Earth !!!

paragkan,

You are right that B does weaken too. But between B and D - D is a better answer because it "most seriously" undermines the argument.
B weakens a little bit because if F is found on a small meteorite from outer space, it's possible that the F in shungite is not "natural" and actually came from outer space instead. If that is the case, then we can't get a good idea of the Earth's crust at the time of formation - because that formation happened in outer space. Thus, the argument isn't valid anymore.
BUT, we don't know for SURE whether the F in shungite came from outer space so we can't necessarily say the argument is not valid. It's just that it *might* be invalid if the F is coming from outer space.
Re: Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of   [#permalink] 17 May 2012, 22:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 82 posts ]