It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 02:31
bigfernhead wrote:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occuring fullerenes were formed.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?
A) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D) The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
E) Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions

Hello e-gmat/experts,

Please throw some light on how to solve such questions. I am able to narrow down to choice B and D. Choice B seems more convincing to me. How to define a thought process for such questions?

Thanks a lot!!

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 02:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18146 [0], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Although fullerenes—spherical molecules made [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 20:16
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NEW Verbal Project - Reposting hardest verbal questions. Kudos for answers and explanation. OA in 48 hours

Although fullerenes—spherical molecules made entirely of carbon—were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed. Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

A. Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.
E. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18146 [0], given: 1992

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Although fullerenes—spherical molecules made [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2014, 04:32
This post received
KUDOS
Although fullerenes—spherical molecules made entirely of carbon—were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed.

Weakener type:
Conclusion: Discovery of natural FL will help geologists to know the earlier state of the Earth's crust vis.a.vis. lab conditions.
Assumptions: 1. Both FLs (lab-formed and natural) are similar
2. If not, structure/texture of natural occurring FL is known to scientists.
3. Natural FL did not undergo drastic changes/transformations during its evolution.

A. Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation - Somehow i think it is strengthening the conclusion
B. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft - Irrelevant. Anyhow, FL could have infected from earth to meteorite or vice-versa, eventhough neither case would help to the passage.
C. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed - Does not help.
D. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure - Seems correct. If structure if natural FL is new for geologist then they would not be able to decipher the information from it.
E. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions - This also can be the correct answer as it also attack one of the assumptions.

So, I am confused between D and E.....but going with instinct, I chose D... :?

OA and OE please....

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 111

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2014, 00:31
I think its C. I cant reason how but no other option seems to weaken the argument. Waiting for OA !

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 22:52
Conc: Discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypotheses about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occurring fullerenes were formed

Is the sample formed under lab conditions exactly similar to the one that occurs naturally? If we attack this then the argument is weakened.

A. Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation - Irrelevant.
B. Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft - Irrelevant.
C. The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed - Out of scope
D. The naturally occurring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure - Correct. Fits the gap in logic perfectly.
E. Shungite itself is formed only under distinctive conditions - So what? Doesn't really mention about naturally ocurring fullerenes.

Kudos if it helps :)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 546

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 11:16
Hello Experts!
Need you all to intervene..
thanks
celestial

anujag24 wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:
Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were first found in the laboratory, they have since been found in nature, formed in fissures of the rare mineral shungite. Since laboratory synthesis of fullerenes requires distinctive conditions of temperature and pressure, this discovery should give geologists a test case for evaluating hypothesis about the state of the Earth's crust at the time these naturally occuring fullerenes were formed.

A) Confirming that the shungite genuinely contained fullerenes took careful experimentation.
B) Some fullerenes have also been found on the remains of a small meteorite that collided with a spacecraft.
C) The mineral shungite itself contains large amounts of carbon, from which the fullerenes apparently formed.
D) The naturally occuring fullerenes are arranged in a previously unknown crystalline structure.

Hello e-gmat/experts,

Please throw some light on how to solve such questions. I am able to narrow down to choice B and D. Choice B seems more convincing to me. How to define a thought process for such questions?

Thanks a lot!!

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 546

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 03:42

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 03:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The correct option should tell that fullerenes in lab and fullerenes in nature are not analogous.

A, C and E talk about something that is out of scope.
We are left with B and D

B is a very weak weakener. You need to assume too much to make it a weakener. It may or may not be possible that those fullerenes may actually originated on earth. Option just say that fullerenes were found on the remains of a meteorite.

D on the other hand is a very strong weakener. If naturally occurring fullerenes have a different structure all together then it is an entirely different kind of fullerene and therefore conditions for artificial one may be different from the naturally occurring one.

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 309

Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 01:51
A must refer to understand this question "RonPurewal's (from Manhattan) explanation" -

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t1578.html

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 309

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 647

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 10:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Take another look at that answer choice: It's the crystalline structure of the found fullerenes that's 'previously unknown'. That means that the fullerenes that have been discovered are fundamentally different from ALL other fullerenes that have ever been described - including all the ones that have ever been made in labs.
* This means that these particular fullerenes - the ones that have been found in the fissures - are chemically different from all the KNOWN classes of fullerenes.
* [KEY INFERENCE] That means that we don't know the 'distinctive conditions of temp and pressure' required to form the NEW kinds of fullerenes.
* Therefore, because of this ignorance, they don't constitute a test case for anything geological.

Hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 647

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 21:22
Top Contributor
I don't think this is a very difficult question argument-wise. I think someone with a background in geology will get it down within a minute. The difficulty purely arises from esoteric vocabulary.

Let's do the following and you will know what I mean. google/wiki 'fullerene', shungite, mineral (for its academic definition) and now redo the problem. I am pretty sure most will have no problem seeing through the argument.

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 197

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 09:46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 102

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 10:20
Well I will be glad to help.

First we will look at the structure of the argument.
One needs to find the conclusion and premise distinctively to understand the argument properly .

Premise 1 - Fullerenes - a carbon molecule - structure - spherical (1st discovered in the lab) - created under distinct conditions of pressure and temp.
Premise 2 - Fullerenes - a carbon molecule - structure - not given (Now discovered in the nature)
Conclusion - This discovery (Finding fullerenes in the nature) will tell us about the state of the earth's crust at the time Fullerenes was created.

Why option D is a solid weakener , let's have a look -
Now if the structure of Fulleres found in the nature is crystalline ( and unknown to scientist),
then scientists cannot tell anything from the these crystalline Fulleres(because they have know about only Spherical Structures).

:)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V33
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 4: 560 Q40 V28
GMAT 5: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 6: 680 Q45 V37
GMAT 7: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 18:56
I am absolutely clueless as to how to address and solve such questions as I am not able to chalk out any pattern here.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 19:26
bhamini1 wrote:
I am absolutely clueless as to how to address and solve such questions as I am not able to chalk out any pattern here.

it is a 700 - level question from a specific science's(geology) background.
Most people are supposed to be clueless when they encounter such question, If they don't know about the topic/ have not practiced enough.
Only possibility is that you practice such questions, questions from the topics in you are clueless.
Gradually increasing practice from 500 to 600 to 700 - level questions.
gmatclub has sorted out the difficulty levels with distinct CR question types. (Assumptions, weakens , etc.)

Here is the link -
critical-reasoning-question-directory-topic-and-difficulty-128861.html

Hope this helps.
:)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 04:39
D is correct because it dictates that natural fullrenes are different from those produced in the lab. Thus, conditions of the earth hypotheses can’t be evaluated.

Passage analysis:
Fact: fullerenes dicovered in laboratory, but still found in nature (mineral shungite).
Fact: processing fullrene in a lab requires special conditions.
Conclusion: natural fullrenes may help geologists validate an hypotheses about earth’s crust, because they would validate if the conditions of the earth when fullrenes were naturally created were the same as those in the lab while artificially producing the same product.
ASSUMPTION: both fullrenes are alike and can help validate natural conditions required for its production.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 82

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 18:52
bigfernhead wrote:

This argument states that naturally found fullerenes will help in finding further details about earth's crust. And assumption here is that the naturally occurring fullerenes will be formed under similar circumstances and will be similar to the one formed in lab.

To weaken this, we should look for something which will prove that the natural fullerenes and the ones made in lab are different.
Option D does this exactly.

Therefore I think D is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 82

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 00:12
I had to read it thrice,just to get the essence. :x
How do you approach a question as confusing as this??

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 22:04
The substance was formed under careful observation and controlled conditions from a known element.

Option D states that the source has a unknown crystalline structure and hence we won't be able to form a correlation to the settings applied in the lab.

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Re: Although fullerenes - spherical molecules made entirely of   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2016, 22:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 85 posts ] 

Although fullerenes-spherical molecules made entirely of carbon-were f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap